The Annual Halloween/Bonfire Night Reminder

Day

Don’t dress your kids up and send them knocking on strangers doors for sweets. Take them round family and friends houses that agree to this nonsense. Or better still, buy them sweets yourself.

Also don’t be that family that set off fireworks, plenty of public displays which are far better than anything you can do in your back garden. They are a colossal waste of money, far better ways to spend it like a subscription at DCFC Fans, did you know that for just £3 you would not see any adverts on the forum for an entire month and still support this forum?

Couldn’t even afford a Catherine wheel for that.

Public displays also limit the “festivities” to the correct days, not a month solid of living like we’re in Beirut.

The elderly, PTSD soldiers, dogs, cats, horses, wildlife, all hate this time of year because of this anti social behaviour. Don’t be that person. Be a human, think of others.

I’ll be back the same time next year. 

24 minutes ago, Day said:

The elderly, PTSD soldiers, dogs, cats, horses, wildlife, all hate this time of year because of this anti social behaviour. Don’t be that person. Be a human, think of others.

Our local dog rescue and rehoming centre is always desperate for food (and blankets etc at this time of year) as I imagine all are.  

Go to an organised display and instead of buying fireworks, donate a few tins of food or an old sheet/duvet cover - it really does make a difference.

36 minutes ago, Day said:

Don’t dress your kids up and send them knocking on strangers doors for sweets. Take them round family and friends houses that agree to this nonsense. Or better still, buy them sweets yourself.

Also don’t be that family that set off fireworks, plenty of public displays which are far better than anything you can do in your back garden. They are a colossal waste of money.

Not forgetting Diwali and New years eve, There's a big South Asian population where we are, Not an issue, Diwali celebrations can and will go on for hours, New years eve goes on for about an hour, Not an issue for either as I'm deaf, I SAID I'M DEAF 😁 

Halloween is fun for the kids, don't mind participating if beer is involved.

Bonfire night, can't stand it. Mainly if you live in an inner city area, it's like the caveman discovered fire. They'll set fireworks off from noon until the following morning. No cares given. Alvaston was like a warzone. And the firework litter all over my garden. Charming.

4 hours ago, Day said:

Also don’t be that family that set off fireworks, plenty of public displays which are far better than anything you can do in your back garden. They are a colossal waste of money, far better ways to spend it like a subscription at DCFC Fans, did you know that for just £3 you would not see any adverts on the forum for an entire month and still support this forum?

Couldn’t even afford a Catherine wheel for that.

Public displays also limit the “festivities” to the correct days, not a month solid of living like we’re in Beirut.

I’ll be back the same time next year. 

Bought you a catherine wheel mate. PM you deets.

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah and hopefully you got mine 😁

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Just out of interest - how many dead bodies were there? 

Taking things way too literal here. Obviously there is no comparison between a country that’s been bombed, thousands of deaths and a few fireworks bangs.

When you consider that many soldiers that suffer with PTSD are affected at this time of year, it’s easy to see why Beirut and war zone has been mentioned. The volume of fireworks is horrific.

Pretty sure you know all this though.

5 hours ago, Alph said:

Halloween is great when you only take your kids to houses that clearly want to take part. 

Sadly, people are not always as respectful.

Will come as no surprise we have no decorations, nothing that would say knock at our door. We even turn the lights off at the front of the house. Still guaranteed to get numerous scroungers at the door.

We unplug the Ring chime box, yet the dog knows and will make sure we know there’s some kids after sugar at the door. 

1 hour ago, Day said:

Taking things way too literal here. Obviously there is no comparison between a country that’s been bombed, thousands of deaths and a few fireworks bangs.

When you consider that many soldiers that suffer with PTSD are affected at this time of year, it’s easy to see why Beirut and war zone has been mentioned. The volume of fireworks is horrific.

Pretty sure you know all this though.

Of course, and I have no issue with people requesting thoughtfulness in others around this time

Like I am requesting thoughtfulness in others to not belittle the horrors of war by likening a few fireworks from Aldi being set off in the sky, to actually having your home (or your hospital or your school) bombarded by ballistic missiles which will literally kill you if they hit you

Pretty sure there are some kids in Gaza and Ukraine right now who would love for their only problem to be that "the dog doesn't like the noise". Like you say - there is  no comparison, so why make the comparison. 

Let's all just have some perspective 

Peace

10 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Of course, and I have no issue with people requesting thoughtfulness in others around this time

Like I am requesting thoughtfulness in others to not belittle the horrors of war by likening a few fireworks from Aldi being set off in the sky, to actually having your home (or your hospital or your school) bombarded by ballistic missiles which will literally kill you if they hit you

Pretty sure there are some kids in Gaza and Ukraine right now who would love for their only problem to be that "the dog doesn't like the noise". Like you say - there is  no comparison, so why make the comparison. 

Let's all just have some perspective 

Peace

Nobody is belittling anyone.

Plenty more in Google. 

Don’t turn this into something it’s not. 

IMG_0493.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

20 hours ago, Day said:

Sadly, people are not always as respectful.

Will come as no surprise we have no decorations, nothing that would say knock at our door. We even turn the lights off at the front of the house. Still guaranteed to get numerous scroungers at the door.

We unplug the Ring chime box, yet the dog knows and will make sure we know there’s some kids after sugar at the door. 

I turn my bell off, All lights in the front are off, Then go and sit in the backroom and watch my TV ☺️

8 hours ago, Day said:

Nobody is belittling anyone.

Plenty more in Google. 

Don’t turn this into something it’s not. 

IMG_0493.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

Incoming true story...

The setting:  The NEC (If memory serves?) for an all-encompassing forces charities shin-dig/Open Day/"We are here to help" type affair.

In the company of my missus and son.  The latter on his way to departing the armed forces on medical grounds, due to "invisible injuries received in combat".
Also in attendance were numerous folk offering all kinds of help, to all types of military service sufferers.
Uniforms of all styles, colours, and notably many festooned with medals galore.
Most evident, were the countless personnel who needed physical aid to get around, and equally, the mind-numbing number of obvious scars, visible wounds, and the sheer haunting number of missing limbs.

Looking down at the piles of tabled leaflets, and scanning the surrounding stalls from countless charities, offering endless advice, goodwill, and well-meaning comfort, said missus announced without whisper... "It's a minefield, innit". 
Said father and son just stared at each other, and burst into fits of giggles. 
Thankfully, so did the dozen or so wounded soldiers who initially and momentarily cringed at hearing such a statement, in such surroundings. 

Phew!  For a minute there, I thought my missus had embarrassed herself!  🤣

Not a pet owner, but I do have a deal of sympathy for anyone who owns a firework-nervous pet. It seems like it's a hefty share of hounds who do seem affected and some quite disturbingly so which is awful. As it is, I'm surrounded by folk who seem to love a firework and they go off all year round it seems to me, as I think it's common in these parts to reserve a few for dad's birthday so he can blow some s*** up then too. It doesn't really bother me, but there's a care home a few hundred yards from me and it can't be pleasant for them as it's often way past the watershed and quite often after midnight.

Perhaps silent fireworks for home use and the full sound effects only at licensed and sanctioned events might be a compromise all could live with? I'd like to think that more imaginative shows could replace fireworks in time anyway.