Millwall (A) - Match Thread

Crewton

I would have taken a point before the game so can't grumble about the result. Keeps Milwall below us in the table as well so. 

Next target is to keep a clean sheet away from home as we just don't create enough or have clinical players available to convert the sparse chances we do make. 

Not sure if we were set up in an attritional style of play or Millwall ground us down to their level but Oxford will play in a much more expansive style of play.

If we go set up like that midweek and we go behind then there's a real possibility that will be game over after that which is nagging in the back of my mind.

Have read some quotes about it being a six pointer but I think Oxford will be ok this season so we need to make sure we're not losing against the teams whom will be below us this season. 

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I would have taken a point before the game so can't grumble about the result. Keeps Milwall below us in the table as well so. 

Next target is to keep a clean sheet away from home as we just don't create enough or have clinical players available to convert the sparse chances we do make. 

Not sure if we were set up in an attritional style of play or Millwall ground us down to their level but Oxford will play in a much more expansive style of play.

If we go set up like that midweek and we go behind then there's a real possibility that will be game over after that which is nagging in the back of my mind.

Have read some quotes about it being a six pointer but I think Oxford will be ok this season so we need to make sure we're not losing against the teams whom will be below us this season. 

Having watched all of oxfords home games this year it will be tough they don't give a lot away they don't score many or create an abundance of chances but they always stay in the game hence the late equalizer against the baggies centre midfield is where they get overrun a fair bit

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

CBT is like the kid at school who plays only for himself. Everyone shouting Pass! Pass!

But he does a trick, runs at goal and blasts a hopeful shot.

That may be why no one in the team seems very close or supportive towards him.

The shot he loosed off yesterday having cut inside the defender was pure ‘assus collapsus’. He just panicked

When he gets it right he’s a real goal threat but outside of that he’s a passenger.

Good to throw on with 15 minutes left if we need a goal.

Agreed amost entirely, aside from the bit in bold because if he has a trick I've never seen it.

The closest he gets to that is a 'jink' in his run, changing direction to head toward an empty space. More often than not though his awareness is poor and he runs straight into an opposition defender. You'll never see him roll a player and put it through their legs with clever footwork like Tom Lawrence used to do (for example).

Definitely a threat in open & stretched games but otherwise he's like a strange cross between Abdoul Camara (ball control, decision making, technical ability) & Tom Ince (cut inside, shoot, repeat).

Edited by May Contain Nuts

4 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

And the linesman is nowhere to be seen on that photo, so he's absolutely miles behind the play.

Obviously never studied physics.

Edit: unless the just perceptible ghostly image is him, in which case he needs to go to Specsavers.

Yes that ghostly image is indeed the linesman, the reason it’s not a clear image is because of the glare from the sun, the same sun that’s stopping the linesman seeing clearly 😎

5 hours ago, Archied said:

I got my own answer as I’m 100% sure most have on here , I’ve just chosen not to bite ,, maybe another day, I’m too chilled having walked the dogs and looking forward to a nice lamb shank and enjoying our first point on the road and another one toward the goal of staying up 

ooooooooh matron!

9 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Having read all the comments yesterday I watched the match this morning with the benefit of replays on RamsTV. Stuart Attwell is not my favourite referee but I think he got virtually every decision RIGHT. It is not his fault the Assistant Ref made the wrong call. If you don’t agree , watch the game again.

The game wasn’t great but there wasn’t a bad tackle in virtually the whole game by either side. Millwall worked very hard and gave us little time on the ball. They played as we do to other sides when we play at Pride Park.

Our problems were not passing the ball well, our poor ball control and lack of composure on the ball. Curtis Nelson a little unfortunate with the goal.

having not got a point on the road I can understand the nervousness, but very happy with a  point  from this fixture.

You clearly missed 3 occasions when Derby players were manhandled in full view of the match officials, with two wrestled down to WWF standard, and Nelson almost having his shirt ripped off with nothing given. Yet Millwall were dropping like flies and getting free-kicks all the time. Wasn’t it nearly 40 minutes before Derby were awarded their first free-kick? By which time Millwall were on about there 20th!

Sorry mate - the offside/penalty was a key decision, but it wasn’t in isolation. The only surprise was the first yellow card going to a Millwall player, which is against EFL rules, it would seem. Atwell would be an embarrassment to the refereeing profession if it wasn’t that there are so many others of dubious competence.

10 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

You clearly missed 3 occasions when Derby players were manhandled in full view of the match officials, with two wrestled down to WWF standard, and Nelson almost having his shirt ripped off with nothing given. Yet Millwall were dropping like flies and getting free-kicks all the time. Wasn’t it nearly 40 minutes before Derby were awarded their first free-kick? By which time Millwall were on about there 20th!

Sorry mate - the offside/penalty was a key decision, but it wasn’t in isolation. The only surprise was the first yellow card going to a Millwall player, which is against EFL rules, it would seem. Atwell would be an embarrassment to the refereeing profession if it wasn’t that there are so many others of dubious competence.

So have you actually watched the game back on RamsTv? There are very, very few occasions where you could disagree with his decisions, many with the benefit of action replays. Yes, he was a bit fussy but that didn’t mean he didn’t give the right decisions. The linesman gave the offside as he should be the one up with play- so you cannot blame the referee for accepting the decision made. You wouldn’t have been incensed if it was Millwall who were denied the penalty - just relieved.
You are famed for criticising referees, not always fairly. I am not a Stuart Attwell fan either but try not to let the Forest match sway my  judgement on what is right and wrong!

Thoughts:
- We should've had a penalty. Another poor decision goes against us.
- I've seen a bit of criticism of him but I thought CBT had a decent game. He's no Ryan Giggs, his final ball or cross isn't always great, but he kept the Millwall defence thinking. And....he won a penalty.
- I don't know why Warne keeps putting NML on the left. Taking Jackson off would have made more sense as he wasn't having the best game, and Nat just plays better on the right. Put him in his strongest position.
- Zetterstrom showed his quality. There were only a few chances for him to deal with, and he was solid. He even almost got to the ball when Ivanovic went around him!
- Millwall looked okay to me. I'm surprised they've only got 10 points so far.

The next 8 games are a real opportunity to pick up points, and I don't think we should fear anyone. We're really facing the hodge-podge of mid-table to relegation fodder, and we could get another 15 points.

9 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

So have you actually watched the game back on RamsTv? There are very, very few occasions where you could disagree with his decisions, many with the benefit of action replays. Yes, he was a bit fussy but that didn’t mean he didn’t give the right decisions. The linesman gave the offside as he should be the one up with play- so you cannot blame the referee for accepting the decision made. You wouldn’t have been incensed if it was Millwall who were denied the penalty - just relieved.
You are famed for criticising referees, not always fairly. I am not a Stuart Attwell fan either but try not to let the Forest match sway my  judgement on what is right and wrong!

If you take each decision in isolation, you can't really argue with them. They fall in the area of "some refs give them, some don't". However, the main issue is the inconsistency. An inconsistency which in my [biased] opinion favoured them. If I remember correctly, it took Atwell 27 minutes to award us our first freekick, yet they had around 7 or 8 by then. As you watched the game back recently, I'm sure you'd say the balance of fouls should have been more even if the ref was being even handed.

Quotes during the game, would suggest there are more than just one or two fans who think he was poor:

1. Millwall players going down very easily whenever we get close to them
  2. So Stuart is Twatwelling again
  3. And Tw@well gives it without a second thought. We don’t appear to be afforded the same soft decisions, this guy is THE!!! worst official out there IMO. He is even has the accolade of being Sh1te at VAR too, never understand how he is still stealing a living with the PGMOL 🤯
  4. Two tier Stu.
  5. Statistically Derby are playing a really filthy game with all those free kicks against us. So far not a single free-kick against Millwall. And there again Atwell is on the pitch.
  6. Absolutely nothing off the ref so far.
  7. Ref doesn't have a clue. Gives them anything and everything.
  8. Looked like Saville slid in late and caught Nyambe there. Unsurprisingly, Atwell didn't see anything wrong
  9. The cynic within me says he does have a clue. Like most officials he knows exactly what he is doing.
  10. We’re not getting anything from Atwell today, Yates just rugby tackled as he headed out of our box and ref played advantage to Millwall 🤦🏻‍♂️ 
  11. Nelson's shirt was almost ripped off him from that freekick
  12. I do find the way refereeing decisions have been continually going against us as highly peculiar. When we're away, the refs are always "homers". When we're at home, the refs go out of their way to demonstrate they're not homers. 
  13. Millwall all over the ref for everything now.
  14. Unsurprisingly, Atwell misses another foul. This time on Goudmijn as he tried to clear the ball
  15. I'm simply disgusted by the officiating. Yet again, is it corruption or incompetence? It can't continually be incompetent, park-standard refereeing. 
  16. Is Atwell just useless, or do you think he'e biased?
  17. Useless. Absolutely useless. I’m sat here thinking we need VAR in the Championship, yet you could still end up with this clown in the booth.
  18. He’s refing at least 3 levels above his standard. He’s just incompetent, yet he still has a job. Truly awful ref.
  19. Cooper with a blatant 2 handed push on Yates after Yates had plucked a great ball by Kane Wilson from the air, linesman right there….play on 
  20. I’m well aware of my bias as a Rams fan, but I don’t think they’ve called the game in a balanced way so far. Cooper is a foot taller and probably a fair bit stronger than Yates and with Yates goal side of him after a good bit of control he used both hands and pushed a slightly unbalance Yates clean off his feet, looked a clear foul to me.
  21. The players were unsure to celebrate that goal given the level of officiating. Can’t blame them.
  22. I was sure the ref would find a reason to give a free-kick to the divers. Not that he’s needed a reason.
  23. I admire everyone’s confidence that 5 minutes later Atwell isn’t going to change his mind and disallow the goal. 
  24. Definite sack for Atwell  - he’s given the first yellow to Millwall, not Derby.
  25. Sums it up - Collins plays a pass backwards, the defender falls over him, free kick to Millwall. 🙄
  26. I never want to watch a match officiated by Stuart Attwell ever again.

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If you take each decision in isolation, you can't really argue with them. They fall in the area of "some refs give them, some don't". However, the main issue is the inconsistency. An inconsistency which in my [biased] opinion favoured them. If I remember correctly, it took Atwell 27 minutes to award us our first freekick, yet they had around 7 or 8 by then. As you watched the game back recently, I'm sure you'd say the balance of fouls should have been more even if the ref was being even handed.

Quotes during the game, would suggest there are more than just one or two fans who think he was poor:

3. And Tw@well gives it without a second thought. We don’t appear to be afforded the same soft decisions, this guy is THE!!! worst official out there IMO. He is even has the accolade of being Sh1te at VAR too, never understand how he is still stealing a living with the PGMOL 🤯
  4. Two tier Stu.
  5. Statistically Derby are playing a really filthy game with all those free kicks against us. So far not a single free-kick against Millwall. And there again Atwell is on the pitch.
  8. Looked like Saville slid in late and caught Nyambe there. Unsurprisingly, Atwell didn't see anything wrong
  9. The cynic within me says he does have a clue. Like most officials he knows exactly what he is doing.
  10. We’re not getting anything from Atwell today, Yates just rugby tackled as he headed out of our box and ref played advantage to Millwall 🤦🏻‍♂️ 
  12. I do find the way refereeing decisions have been continually going against us as highly peculiar. When we're away, the refs are always "homers". When we're at home, the refs go out of their way to demonstrate they're not homers. 
  14. Unsurprisingly, Atwell misses another foul. This time on Goudmijn as he tried to clear the ball
  15. I'm simply disgusted by the officiating. Yet again, is it corruption or incompetence? It can't continually be incompetent, park-standard refereeing. 
  17. Useless. Absolutely useless. I’m sat here thinking we need VAR in the Championship, yet you could still end up with this clown in the booth.
  18. He’s refing at least 3 levels above his standard. He’s just incompetent, yet he still has a job. Truly awful ref.
  19. Cooper with a blatant 2 handed push on Yates after Yates had plucked a great ball by Kane Wilson from the air, linesman right there….play on 
  20. I’m well aware of my bias as a Rams fan, but I don’t think they’ve called the game in a balanced way so far. Cooper is a foot taller and probably a fair bit stronger than Yates and with Yates goal side of him after a good bit of control he used both hands and pushed a slightly unbalance Yates clean off his feet, looked a clear foul to me.
  21. The players were unsure to celebrate that goal given the level of officiating. Can’t blame them.
  22. I was sure the ref would find a reason to give a free-kick to the divers. Not that he’s needed a reason.
  23. I admire everyone’s confidence that 5 minutes later Atwell isn’t going to change his mind and disallow the goal. 
  24. Definite sack for Atwell  - he’s given the first yellow to Millwall, not Derby.
  25. Sums it up - Collins plays a pass backwards, the defender falls over him, free kick to Millwall. 🙄

But apart from this Ghost, really, what evidence is there? 😋

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

4. Two tier Stu.

“If you take each decision in isolation you can’t really argue with them”

Surely that is what a referee should be doing?

How many of the comments above are biased by the Forest match “x” number of years ago, when Atwell was fast-tracked by the FA, when he clearly wasn’t ready. He still isn’t one of the best referees but being balanced and objective (having watched the match again) I don’t think HE got too much wrong.

For the record I hope he doesn’t ref our matches again!

On 19/10/2024 at 20:32, Rich3478 said:

I’m not a Collins fan but I almost want to see him there with Yates behind away. We need more of a presence to make the ball stick.

or build play slower and through midfield but that doesn’t seem an option either.

Yates, Collins..no, we need a goalscorer..i hear Bamfords not playing much for Leeds..might be a shout in January...

In the summer, we need to go out and get one..no excuses, sort it, and sort it early

On 20/10/2024 at 11:13, Charlie George said:

Decent day out down the Smoke. Soke good humoured banter with Stockport fans at Borough Market.

Disappointed not to have taken the 3 points though. Good to see the man with the one million pound penis in the away end. What a job and what a guy.

You Rams 🐏

Nice lad, Adam is

On 20/10/2024 at 12:15, On the Ram Page said:

Having read all the comments yesterday I watched the match this morning with the benefit of replays on RamsTV. Stuart Attwell is not my favourite referee but I think he got virtually every decision RIGHT. It is not his fault the Assistant Ref made the wrong call. If you don’t agree , watch the game again.

The game wasn’t great but there wasn’t a bad tackle in virtually the whole game by either side. Millwall worked very hard and gave us little time on the ball. They played as we do to other sides when we play at Pride Park.

Our problems were not passing the ball well, our poor ball control and lack of composure on the ball. Curtis Nelson a little unfortunate with the goal.

having not got a point on the road I can understand the nervousness, but very happy with a  point  from this fixture.

You say not a bad tackle, but i wasn't surprised to learn that Nyambe's injury came from a challenge with that thug Saville

8 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

“If you take each decision in isolation you can’t really argue with them”

Surely that is what a referee should be doing?

How many of the comments above are biased by the Forest match “x” number of years ago, when Atwell was fast-tracked by the FA, when he clearly wasn’t ready. He still isn’t one of the best referees but being balanced and objective (having watched the match again) I don’t think HE got too much wrong.

For the record I hope he doesn’t ref our matches again!

I think you're ignoring the point to make a point. The same sort of confirmation bias you're pointing out in others.

The argument was he was giving every slightly debatable,  50-50, 'soft', 'played the advantage' one way ie he was horribly inconsistent and gave every decision unless it was cast-iron and irrefutable to Millwall.

There was a more blantant, shameless,  horror, error-strewn performance against us a few games ago by ref and linesman. 

Atwell in any particular decision may not have missed any blantant two-footed lunge, or given a penalty for a ridiculous dive,  agreed. But for every tiny bit of contact by a Derby player gave it as a push. Every tackle where we probably got the ball, he decided we didn't. Pretty much every Millwall push he ignored or gave an advantage that didn't help us. 

Watching, he helped turned the tide of the game by restricting our defence by making them not dare make a tackle.  Adams carried on regardless and as result he was a walking free-kick near our box.

PS I can't be bothered to watch again...So,  you're possibly right and I'm wrong. Beauty of football 🤣🤣

Edited by Chester40