Millwall 1994 Play-Off Semi Final

was there with marks dad and praying the works van had not been turned over in car park as i had a derby scarf on front , it was not parked far from the radio derby car 

remember fans singing you wont make it back to the train station and  lad next to me who came by train said what you reckon i said i have my own transport .... good luck mate 

I remember as we left the BBG after the first leg, Millwall fans giving us the throat-slitting threats and thinking that I was glad I'd not got a ticket for the away game.

I listened to the way game on RD whilst out for a run....... and can remember being frightened !

Kudos to anyone who went.......and to the players who put up with stuff players shouldn't have to.

I was there that night. Interesting listening to the RD podcast this morning - it brought it all back. I didn’t even remember the score. All I could remember was how nasty it turned as soon as the Millwall fans realised the tie was lost. 

One thing I didn’t hear them mention on the podcast was the racist attention Paul Williams got, how we was targeted by the thugs trying to kick him before he could get off the pitch or when he went near the side lines where the thugs were lined up waiting to invade the pitch. 

RD said that the Derby fans were safe in the upper tier of the away end but it didn’t feel that way because we knew we had to get out of the stadium. 

The police kept us behind which was often the case in those days before allowing us to leave the stadium. The walk back to the underground was frightening but ultimately uneventful for me. 

The carnage in the car park with the RD van lying on its side will forever stick in my mind. The site of hundreds of thugs lining the side of the pitch waiting to invade won’t either. At the end all of the outfield players had bunched up near the tunnel, knowing the ref was about to blow. It was our poor goalie Martin Taylor who didn’t have that advantage and had to run the gauntlet.

It must have been frightening for the players. 

I’ve always hated this ground, one of the ugliest grounds in the country for me. I’ve been many times and seen some great results. Who got our first hatrick for around 17 years there? Was it Bryson? I was there for that. 

I even took my next door neighbour down once when he was injured and out of the team (John Harkes) - might actually have been the same season. I went to the game and he went shopping in London with his wife lol. 

Edited by Ravanelli

3 hours ago, Ravanelli said:

I even took my next door neighbour down once when he was injured and out of the team (John Harkes) - might actually have been the same season. I went to the game and he went shopping in London with his wife lol. 

Pity he didn't go shopping for the final. Missed a sitter as I recall😁

8 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

I recall listening to that on RD as an excited 9 year old not giving us a chance away at Millwall. A great night, even miserable Mark Pembridge mustered a smile if I recall.

I should add I'd completely forgotten about all the trouble until reading the thread, it barely registered at the time, I was so fixated on the result! Innocence of youth. Shocking to hear about, I'm glad I came to football towards the end of that era of violence. I'm a lover not a fighter.

It`s a bit random that both sides had American Internationals playing for them that night , Keller and Harkes , i was in the top tier behind the goal , remember the Millwall chairman Reg Burr making mealy mouthed excuses in the days after about racist fans targeting Paul Williams , he tried to say Jossie was picked out because "he`s a nasty aggressive player" McFarland put him straight in his interviews in the run up to the Leicester play off final 

I remember listening to the great Graham Richards while painting the kitchen ceiling! It was horrifying, and almost bizzarre that the match was interrupted 3 times. I hope that there were loads of arrests.

Van de Hauwe scoring that own goal was justice in advance because 'twas he that ended Ted McMinn's career with a red card challenge up at Burnley.

I took my daughter 5 or 6 years ago and it was  daunting experience - you could almost feel the weight of the atmosphere as we found our way to the ground and noticed that the way out after the match was through a tunnel with a really fine wire mesh covering which we could barely see through. Scary!

On a lighter note, we had parked at Stanmore and taken the tube in, and on the way back, two stops before we got back some guys sitting opposite got a phone call from their mates who had gone missing. They had got on the tube in the wrong direction and ended up in Tottenham! I have no idea what time they eventually got home!

23 hours ago, popside72 said:

good to see us taking our full allocation this time around.

Time for the chant of "You're not scary anymore!"

Also recall the West Ham anthem "Blowing bubbles" being sung by us one season. Their reaction was priceless!

I went with the Roadrider crew that night and the police kept the bus in the car park for 2 hours after the game had finished.

The driver kept the doors open and you could hear the chanting and the cheers when the Radio Derby van was turned over.

Great night 

Edited by Derbylad01