Thomas Tuchel - New England Manager

Day

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

On a poll on the Beeb Sports website last night there was a pretty even split between fans wanting Tuchel and those who didn't which kind of surprised me.

Am assuming those whom didn't want Tuchel either wanted Pep instead or wanted an English manager.

Surprised we got Tuchel at all quite honestly. 

Are you sure it wasn't 52/48 against Tuchel?

1 hour ago, Anon said:

What's the point in international football at all then? The whole thing is immature. Why would you want a particular nation to win just because you were born there? Surely a truly enlightened and objective football fan would follow the national team that played the most entertaining football?

I mean what is the point of Int national football then? You don’t have to be English to manage England. That’s not my opinion that’s just how it is. Same as you can qualify to play for other countries through grandparents. 
Your argument is not with me, it’s with football

I’m saying if the rules allow it then what’s the problem? Because it’s not the best homegrown talent of Countries. If you stick to an English manager over a better manager then you’re doing what? Losing with national pride? When Sabrina Wiegman won a trophy for England women did it feel cheap?

Sounds like your argument is with football not me. 

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Which other top nations have hired managers from abroad, out of interest, let alone been successful with it?

What’s a top nation? England? 

Greece won Euros with German manager, Chile won Copa America with an Argentine manager 

I can’t be bothered to dig but I imagine theres plenty of small nations that have had relative success with foreign managers. 

9 minutes ago, Alph said:

What’s a top nation? England? 

Greece won Euros with German manager, Chile won Copa America with an Argentine manager 

I can’t be bothered to dig but I imagine theres plenty of small nations that have had relative success with foreign managers. 

I genuinely don’t know - top 20 maybe. 

I think my overall stance is different for less developed footballing nations where a foreign coach can help their development which obviously makes any rule on it nigh on impossible to enforce.

Generally though I just think if England don’t have their own centre back they can’t just go and pick William Saliba so the fact they feel they don’t have a manager good enough I just don’t know if I agree with hiring Thomas Tuchel.

Which is before you even get on to whether Tuchel is demonstrably better than anyone else they could have hired. Potter, Carsley, whoever. His few years at Bayern and PSG make me go meh, and while he did a very good job at Chelsea for a while he has not shown much ability to manage upwards and not fall out with people which in my mind is a good chunk of a national team job. 

I think my overall stance is different for less developed footballing nations where a foreign coach can help their development which obviously makes any rule on it nigh on impossible to enforce.

Generally though I just think if England don’t have their own centre back they can’t just go and pick William Saliba so the fact they feel they don’t have a manager good enough I just don’t know if I agree with hiring Thomas Tuchel.

Which is before you even get on to whether Tuchel is demonstrably better than anyone else they could have hired. Potter, Carsley, whoever. His few years at Bayern and PSG make me go meh, and while he did a very good job at Chelsea for a while he has not shown much ability to manage upwards and not fall out with people which in my mind is a good chunk of a national team job. 

The current top 20 countries and the nationality of their head coach:

1. Argentina - Argentina
  2. France - France
  3. Spain - Spain
  4. England - France
  5. Brazil - Brazil
  6. Belgium - Italy
  7. Netherlands - Netherlands
  8. Portugal - Spain
  9. Colombia - Argentina
  10. Italy - Italy
  11. Uruguay - Argentina
  12. Croatia - Croatia
  13. Germany - Germany
  14. Morocco - Morocco
  15. Switzerland - Switzerland
  16. Japan - Japan
  17. Mexico - Mexico
  18. USA - Argentina
  19. Iran - Iran
  20. Denmark - Denmark (caretaker)

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The current top 20 countries and the nationality of their head coach:

1. Argentina - Argentina
  2. France - France
  3. Spain - Spain
  4. England - France
  5. Brazil - Brazil
  6. Belgium - Italy
  7. Netherlands - Netherlands
  8. Portugal - Spain
  9. Colombia - Argentina
  10. Italy - Italy
  11. Uruguay - Argentina
  12. Croatia - Croatia
  13. Germany - Germany
  14. Morocco - Morocco
  15. Switzerland - Switzerland
  16. Japan - Japan
  17. Mexico - Mexico
  18. USA - Argentina
  19. Iran - Iran
  20. Denmark - Denmark (caretaker)

I can just about stomach appointing a German, but a Frenchman? Get out of here.

The bubble for the manager job was burst with Sven RIP.

Any man who is suitable since then can apply.

It does for me show David Sheepshanks statement about the best future manager being a homey, was a little over cooked. 

We have no one as talented as Mr T in this race, and as always we shall give the man a chance, after all we are British at the core, however I wonder how long the John Bull pit bulls will give him if results go awry.

Welcome I say, please chose your chalice🍾

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5846569/2024/10/16/thomas-tuchel-england-appointment/

Personally I couldn’t give a toss where a manager comes from if he can win us a trophy.  But, I had to laugh at an interview with Gary Neville on Sky.  He berated the FA for not doing enough to support English coaches, in order for them to be promoted to top jobs, and then 6 minutes later stated that the Premier League must always look to bring in the best foreign coaches to ensure it’s one of the best leagues in he world!!! 

make it make sense…

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

3 hours ago, nottingram said:

He is demonstrably better than any English manager. It's not really debatable. He's a champions League winner, with an armful of silverware with experience managing huge egos. Carsley, Potter etc are not in the same league as Tuchel. 

Edited by Andicis

I just think England should pick the best man for the job, I dunno who I’d pick, if he’s not English then that’s fine because international football doesn’t require your management team to be English. It probably should but it doesn’t which is why I don’t fully understand any fans who want to impose a rule on their own team. It’s not going to be a less proud moment should England win with a foreign manager. Well, I don’t think so. England women and fans didn’t seem to care. 

Have to say I know sweet fa about Tuchel. I thought England looked good under Carsley at first but I didn’t see the Greece game

Not really a fan of having a foreign manager tbh, understandable for smaller nations but more established footballing nations should have to be managed by 'one of their own'.

That said, I'm not against the appointment either - decent CV, hope he does well.  A bigger problem/question for me is why aren't we producing more of our own.

Edited by maxjam

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Not really a fan of having a foreign manager tbh, understandable for smaller nations but more established footballing nations should have to be managed by 'one of their own'.

That said, I'm not against the appointment either - decent CV, hope he does well.  A bigger problem/question for me is why aren't we producing more of our own.

Money money money. Our top league is the biggest draw in the world and for that we get the best of the best on the planet. 

Bit of a pooper for our own players and coaches trying to come up. 

Is the PL the most foreign league, I wonder? Every time I catch a bit of Spanish or Italian football their lesser top flight teams seem to be stacked with homegrown staff compared to here? Might be a lazy observation though 

22 hours ago, DE56Ram said:

The bloke can’t even speak English clearly! 
what’s wrong with Lee Carso? 

The players love him

Time was never better for home-grown. . . Missed opportunity FA

gutted for England 

You can complain about all sorts of things in relation to Tuchel’s appointment from the lack of good options from England to the length of time the appointment has taken but having listened to him speak this evening the one thing you cannot say with any justification is that he doesn’t speak English clearly. 

Got to say I’m somewhat surprised there’s so much debate about the nationality of the England manager. 

For the FA I think it’s a case of asking ‘what do we need right now’ and I think the answer to that has to be someone who’s completely out of the FA system. The national team have a dilemma right now which is about how to play a system that works with the likes of Bellingham, Palmer, Grealish, Foden etc etc and it’s pretty obvious those in house don’t really have the answer (Southgate and Carsley) and there isn’t an obvious english manager who really has the criteria (Lampard practically ruined his own chances).

I think you need someone who can take the emotion out of these decisions now, especially with the constant pointless noise coming from the english journalists and ex players. Yeah a english manager would be great but I’m not sure that is what we need right now as it needs a fresh approach away.

For me its a smart move from the FA, he’s got 18 months to see whether it’s the right move.

35 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He is demonstrably better than any English manager. It's not really debatable. He's a champions League winner, with an armful of silverware with experience managing huge egos. Carsley, Potter etc are not in the same league as Tuchel. 

At club football, certainly. Not debatable in the slightest. But I honestly don’t know what the recipe for international football is. Deschamps, Loew, Fuentes, Scaloni - None have achieved success in club football.

Say we’d won the latest Euros. Would you expect Real Madrid to hire Gareth Southgate? If not why not?

My instinct is that managing relationships is incredibly important, I think Tuchel has left his last 3 roles having eroded relationships. That might not be all his fault but it’s probably not not all his fault. 

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

At club football, certainly. Not debatable in the slightest. But I honestly don’t know what the recipe for international football is. Deschamps, Loew, Fuentes, Scaloni - None have achieved success in club football.

Say we’d won the latest Euros. Would you expect Real Madrid to hire Gareth Southgate? If not why not?

My instinct is that managing relationships is incredibly important, I think Tuchel has left his last 3 roles having eroded relationships. That might not be all his fault but it’s probably not not all his fault. 

Well I'd imagine being an expert tactician with a good track record in cup football puts you in a strong position to do well in international. 

To be fair to him, Chelsea he wasn't struggling to manage relationships until a change of owner, and nobody has lasted very long under Boehly so hard to finger point at Tuchel. 

Not saying he's the perfect man manager by any stretch, but surely it's about more than being the player's friend? 

Roberto Mancini, who was a decent club manager looked tactically head and shoulders above at international level during euro 2020.