QPR (H) - Matchday Thread

23 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

If you want to dm your postcode to me I’ll send a peice of A3 paper weekly with fixture times and dates. Or you can look it up since you’ve access to the internet. 

I got the impression dcfcfans IS the internet?  🤷‍♂️

It wasn't all that long ago I spotted a post on the morning of a game (Norwich I presume?) along the lines of "Oh, thanks for the reminder... I'd forgotten it was a 12:30 kick off..."  Phew!   

Anyway... I get where you're coming from, but as with a chat with your mates down the pub (to discuss our next match/yesterday's game etc), and "checking the internet" for team selections, latest scores, scorers, game analysis, league positions, and stats etc... and not forgetting snippets of Thunderbirds on YouTube... all of that would kind of make the need for a matchday thread redundant, no?  🤷‍♂️

But hey... you're in charge now, it seems, so crack on.  And the very best of British to yer!   

And again... sincere thanks for at least giving consideration to my suggestion.  

Can we declare peace here ? @Eoghan1884 is a solid poster with open flexible and observant views; who may or may not have ridden roughshod of certain protocols. PS I don’t really know what they are which is why it took me 10 years to dare to start a matchday thread .. harumph ! and look where that got us ! Lost our unbeaten home run ( I thought I was dead crafty given our form and would defffo have managed a second outing. ) The we have that Bolshie @Comrade 86 .. I mean let’s be honest .. he isn’t very good at being subversive is he .. I nearly invited him round for Christmas he’s so measured in his comments (He’d need to be with my family ) Then we have @Mucker1884 Who has managed the Thunderbirds with a deftness beyond our wildest imaginings. 

Can we sort this out please ? My Karma is disturbed when these Forum all stars are bickering !

Ta very much and if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, buy me a pint and I’ll find a quiet corner and shut up 🤪

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I got the impression dcfcfans IS the internet?  🤷‍♂️

It wasn't all that long ago I spotted a post on the morning of a game (Norwich I presume?) along the lines of "Oh, thanks for the reminder... I'd forgotten it was a 12:30 kick off..."  Phew!   

Anyway... I get where you're coming from, but as with a chat with your mates down the pub (to discuss our next match/yesterday's game etc), and "checking the internet" for team selections, latest scores, scorers, game analysis, league positions, and stats etc... and not forgetting snippets of Thunderbirds on YouTube... all of that would kind of make the need for a matchday thread redundant, no?  🤷‍♂️

But hey... you're in charge now, it seems, so crack on.  And the very best of British to yer!   

And again... sincere thanks for at least giving consideration to my suggestion.  

I was joking and apologize if you took it in the wrong way as I thought you were also joking with a big of anger. I’m not one to start “beef” online especially not with my own fans. I only ever started matchday threads because they had stopped being made after games and I waited until the Thursday evening to make the first one as usually they are started after the previous game. 

I was once again only joking with @Comrade 86 at the start of this conversation as he poked fun at me and @Animal is a Ram

To be honest I never put the match times or dates because I simply didn’t think of it. I more so focused on how I think we will line up and how we can approach the game. If you have a problem with how I make match threads, I will happily stop as I don’t mind simply replying my views to whoever starts them. I do think people enjoy them when they are made a couple of days in advance so they can read about injuries and press conference news etc. 

We saw a new line-up and a few of the new boys having a go Saturday 

I was impressed with them all

im impressed with how the new signings are fitting-in and delivering what PW and his coaches are asking for

they are doing it in rotation in lots of positions which is encouraging for the squad depth and shows it’s and the coaches quality

I don’t think we were this far along the integration/formation pathway at this point last season but we went on the amazing run that got us into the top three after Christmas and into February.

PW’s sides are renowned for ‘starting to show’ after Christmas 

I’m encouraged enough, especially looking at our competitors results and against each other, Plus the fact that we’ve now played four of the top six away and not been nastily molested once, to think that there’s lots more to come from this squad this season.

it was nice to send the strangers that long journey home with that song ringing in their ears 🎶 they thoroughly deserved that! 

21 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Noticed that a lot back up in champ so far - weird ref gave every time they did it first half but didnt seem to second. 

Notice how Linos seem not to give anything either anymore? Last week at Norwich then for us this week 2/3 times the ball clearly went out of play no More than yards away from him and he didn’t give anything, not as bothered this time as it was in our favour but seriously they are all absolutely useless 

25 minutes ago, Topram said:

Notice how Linos seem not to give anything either anymore? Last week at Norwich then for us this week 2/3 times the ball clearly went out of play no More than yards away from him and he didn’t give anything, not as bothered this time as it was in our favour but seriously they are all absolutely useless 

I honestly don’t know the rules vis a vis what are the linesman’s duties concerning foul play. Are they supposed / allowed / encouraged to be extra eyes for the ref ? If so it’s hugely hit and miss and there are some lazy boogers out there ! 

1 hour ago, Topram said:

It’s the fact that they watch the ball roll out of play 5 yards from them, then immediately look to the ref 25 yards away to see which way they should signal!

A lot of really promising things on display against QPR. Was always going to be a test coming off the bounce of 3 losses and against a team we needed really to win against. Really pleased to see how much patience we were showing in the first half to work situations and honestly I think from the openings we had we could have easily been 2-3 up if properly capitalized upon. 

Tactically the introduction of Harness into midfield really worked well. In the last few games we've been really struggling to progress the ball reliably particularly through midfield. Having Harness gave us a link from midfield to attack meaning Kenzo could focus on being the primary instigator from deeper. The problem in other games is Kenzo has been expected to be both and couldn't reliably cycle through other midfielders. Harness at 10 I think made it easier on Adams in possession as well, as it easier to give him an easier pass short more often than not. On top of that Harness played well and looks a better 10 than a winger. Having someone being able to turn in the half spaces and either carry the ball or play someone in made a hell of a difference and I'm glad he got his goal.

Whilst on that note I think our setup, selection and tactics lead to really good pressing at times. It was noticeable how we were able in a smart controlled fashion to be able to choke off space. The situation that lead to the goal had happened a few times already where between Kenzo, Harness, Jackson, Yates, Nyambe we'd effectively corral them into a left back space with little outs.

I do think it gives weight to the thought I've had for a while that Osborn is a bit of a weak link unfortunately. And honestly right now I'd have him quite far down the selection order in midfield if everyone is fit.

NML and Jackson both struggled a bit but it's the kind of game I think you'd expect them to a touch with QPR giving little room in behind to exploit. 

Whilst I've been complimentary tactically up to the second goal. There's a couple things after that have me scratching my head a touch. Firstly before the goals every goal kick is short, everyone is trying to play it out from the back and we are going long either when something is on or we absolutely have to from a clearance, after the goals we are suddenly going long a lot more (every goal kick) and trying to force things a lot more. It lead to a loss of control and gave QPR some foothold in a game we should have been trying to suffocate them out by just retaining the ball. I will say though this might not have been from the coaching staff, as there was one moment where we were setting to go long from the goal kick (I think) and the camera cut to Warne screaming to not do something.

The second thing was some of the subs felt questionable. Wilson for NML was more or less fine, arguably though it should have been Blackett-Taylor on at this point. Phillips on as a defensive midfielder for Harness made little to no sense to me though. It disrupted a midfield working well when we had control and put a player very clearly out of position in there who looked positionally lost. Similarly to wilson -> NML, not much issue with Jackson -> CBT but why bring on Collins for Yates at that point. Yates was doing a good job keeping them occupied and providing that threat. If he's knackered out and you just need someone mobile to press then bring on Brown and give him much needed minutes. Whereas Collins again looks a bit lost at this level and defenders can ignore him to an extent.

To end on a positive note; I'm going to stake a claim on a wild bet that Kenzo will prove to be the best signing the club has made in the past decade and is easily my favourite player to watch since Hughes left.

For the 2nd time this season we had more possession than the oppo, 53%. They manage 11 shots to our 10 while we had 5 on target to their 3.

I thought our possession might have been even higher but the most important stat was 2-0 in our favour.

Two cracking goals they were too, coming a mere 1 minute and 16 seconds apart. Two very good saves from JWZ, a feat mirrored by their keeper. Talking to a Hoops fan at the hotel post match, he said that they will struggle this season, I think he's right.

Defence was solid, keeper excellent, Kenzo was a delight to behold, I feel for Yates who does so much good work but doesn't seem to get any chances to hit the onion bag. NML is as average, at best, this season as he was excellent last. CBT seems to be, finally, showing why we bought him. Good games all round, basically.

Second goal went in, cue ironic chants of "oh, Bobby Zamora" from the Derby fans which seemed to shut the 'Gers fans up. QPR rallied late on in the game but all to no avail. Thoroughly deserved 3 points. A few players off to represent their respective countries, the rest will have a few days off before resuming training again on Thursday or Friday.

13 hours ago, jono said:

I honestly don’t know the rules vis a vis what are the linesman’s duties concerning foul play. Are they supposed / allowed / encouraged to be extra eyes for the ref ? If so it’s hugely hit and miss and there are some lazy boogers out there ! 

What had happened to all the time that was added on to matches at the start of the season, to stop time wasting, some games were 110+ minutes long!! We seem to have reverted back to the usual 7 or 8 minutes of added time.

22 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

What had happened to all the time that was added on to matches at the start of the season, to stop time wasting, some games were 110+ minutes long!! We seem to have reverted back to the usual 7 or 8 minutes of added time.

I suspect it’s having the desired effect - I can’t recall much time wasting, aside from JWZ taking a little bit of time with some goal kicks late on. There weren’t many other stoppages either, just the two goals and most of the substitutions.

4 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I suspect it’s having the desired effect - I can’t recall much time wasting, aside from JWZ taking a little bit of time with some goal kicks late on. There weren’t many other stoppages either, just the two goals and most of the substitutions.

I watched the Villa v Man Utd game, the Ref had his coms device changed, it took 5 minutes, despite the subs etc he still only gave 6 minutes added time.

Only saw the highlights sadly. Enjoyed those two magical moments - Z’s catlike save low to his left - the mirror image of Pele v Banks. And Nelson’s header, wow. Almost as good as McGovern’s lobbed header into the top corner from the edge of the 6 yard box in the 70s. I’d love to think the keeper was Gary Sprake   Can’t find it online but I’m sure it’s there somewhere. 

How did we get Kenzo and Zetterstrom ? What a transformation in recruiting … 

29 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Only saw the highlights sadly. Enjoyed those two magical moments - Z’s catlike save low to his left - the mirror image of Pele v Banks. And Nelson’s header, wow. Almost as good as McGovern’s lobbed header into the top corner from the edge of the 6 yard box in the 70s. I’d love to think the keeper was Gary Sprake   Can’t find it online but I’m sure it’s there somewhere. 

The winner from McGovern against Leicester and past Peter Shilton. It's the game after Clough & Taylor resigned. Good goal but I actually think Nelson's on Saturday was more breathtaking.

33 minutes ago, Spender said:

The winner from McGovern against Leicester and past Peter Shilton. It's the game after Clough & Taylor resigned. Good goal but I actually think Nelson's on Saturday was more breathtaking.

Thanks so much for this. As much as anything, a reminder from Alan Hinton to the ‘modern player’  of the benefit of being able to cross with both feet. Nightmare for full backs late in the game on a muddy pitch! 
The reason McGovern’s rare header is imprinted on my memory is that it’s so sublimely lobbed over the keeper’s arc of reach.