Norwich City (H) Matchday thread

jono

We played well against Norwich, a team that finished 6th last year. They got a bit of luck, I can think of a lot of other teams I'd rather didn't get that against us. Good luck to them.

It was also a thoroughly enjoyable game, I came away very upbeat. Can you remember some of the dross last year when teams came to stop the game as much as possible? Never seen so many keepers injured.

The players are clearly playing for us and the manager. If we play like that every game we're staying up this year and we'll have a great time doing it.

On to more important things...if only they could get a real ale stand outside the East Stand...

Come away with mixed thoughts having watched the game. Because on the one hand I can't help but feel we shot ourselves in the foot with some tactical decisions and player choice but on the we did show a lot of determination with enough flashes of skill to keep getting back into it and ultimately based on the chances presented could have easily come away with a point.

However I think it's a bit of a shallow view to just chalk it up to bad officials and Norwich being a good side because there were issues with our setup, some of which were unique to the game and some we've seen before. 

Whilst Norwich first goal shouldn't have stood a goal like that had been coming for a while in the first half and mostly hadn't conceded till then due to excellent defensive work by Cashin in particular. We didn't seem to know what to do about the full back inverting and we'd made the odd choice to man mark in midfield and have our wingers try to man mark the full back. It made it easy for us to get dragged out of anything resembling a shape and leave a complete chasm of space in front of the back 4. And harder to counter as the likes of NML would be starting from a much narrower deeper position. Both of their first two goals come from players being pulled right out of position. With the first Osborn has been pulled right out to the right wing leaving a gap in the left half our midfield that gets exploited and then second Goudmijn has been pulled right over to the right wing following his man whilst both Osborn and Adams have been pulled forward by the players they are marking. It's the kinda thing you just can't get away with at this level.

The other big issue was the difficulty we had in progressing the ball. Once again it looks like that midfield we started with just isn't functional and it's in large part because you can't carry both Osborn and Adams in midfield. I hate to say but Osborn has been poor so far for us. So often against Norwich he'd effectively mark himself out of the game, not move into space to offer an option, give the ball away cheaply or take up poor positions defensively. The most frustrating example of this was about half way through the first half where we were passing around at the back with Nelson receiving it in the corner, rather than drop into space to give Nelson an easy pass he holds a position where he's ineffectual and points for Nelson to send it long with which we lose the ball... once again. I don't see how he can retain his place if I'm honest.

This was strangely compounded by a seeming instruction for Goudmijn to not get forward in the first half and having two more defensive full backs. We just couldn't meaningful progress the ball. The changes around the 70 min mark clearly helped though and I hope we take something from that.

16 hours ago, Canary said:

Just been sent this. It's a still of the couple of seconds pre the first "goal" on Saturday.

Look at Cashin's arm. Doesnt look like it's a "natural position" to me. Infact I'd go so far to say he's lifting his arm up to block the ball..

Screenshot_20240929_145435_YouTube.thumb.jpg.dd3a9dfd8bab646784cfaa624fc4bb40.jpg

Dear Canary

suggest your pick up your cat, hurl it into the air and look at what happens to its arms and legs before it lands like Simone Biles. Then reassess what is meant by ‘unnatural position’ 

(if you have a young daughter, best to check she’s not in the room)

Edited by kevinhectoring

PGMOL verdict in.

QUOTE  Speaking ahead of Saturday's game against QPR, Warne said: "We have heard back (from the PGMOL). They agree that obviously the first goal was out of play but it's very difficult to disagree, considering there's footage everywhere. The third goal they think the ball is still in play because they have an angle that shows it is just in.

"We also queried that we thought James Collins was offside for our second goal, just to show we're balanced, if you know what I mean. But they disagree. They didn't think he was."  UNQUOTE

source: https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38323768&page=4

So that’s two communications from the PGMOL saying sorry about the result. Can we use them as “Get out of relegation free” cards should the need arise?

No, I thought not. Thanks for nothing, PGMOL. Your best way of apologising to the huge lust of clubs who’ve been  affected by poor decisions is to sort your referees out.

33 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

So that’s two communications from the PGMOL saying sorry about the result. Can we use them as “Get out of relegation free” cards should the need arise?

No, I thought not. Thanks for nothing, PGMOL. Your best way of apologising to the huge lust of clubs who’ve been  affected by poor decisions is to sort your referees out.

Exactly. It's too late. And the standard of officiating is either so poor it beggars belief, or there is endemic corruption in the English game. Both options are deeply unsatisfactory and in many ways it doesn't matter which it is, because the outcome remains the same. Lost points, in what's likely a season of struggle.

What action will taken against the officials for this game? There are seemingly no consequences for being incapable of performing their roles to an acceptable standard. 

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

PGMOL verdict in.

QUOTE  Speaking ahead of Saturday's game against QPR, Warne said: "We have heard back (from the PGMOL). They agree that obviously the first goal was out of play but it's very difficult to disagree, considering there's footage everywhere. The third goal they think the ball is still in play because they have an angle that shows it is just in.

"We also queried that we thought James Collins was offside for our second goal, just to show we're balanced, if you know what I mean. But they disagree. They didn't think he was."  UNQUOTE

source: https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38323768&page=4

1. We all agree except both Saturdays officials that the ball was out...I mean we have all seen the picture

2. I'd like to see their picture that they have as they THINK! it was still in play...but as I said...i'll give the linesman a get out of jail free card...for that one

3. Yep never thought he was offside as the ball was going in a diagonal direction away from the keeper

4. I see there's no query on @Canary thinking that they should have had a penalty, Different rules I guess in Norfolk ☺️ 

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

So that’s two communications from the PGMOL saying sorry about the result.

It doesn't appear to be an apology, with regard to this latest (Norwich) one.  Just an admission of a wrong decision.

Perhaps they're not sorry?
Perhaps they were sniggering when they got in touch to admit the mistake?

No idea, but I've seen no reference to an apology.  🤷‍♂️

On 01/10/2024 at 09:53, kevinhectoring said:

Was going to ask why you spelled it with an ‘x’ but when I checked I found this:

jacksy (sl) noun meaning buttock or anus. Also jacksie, jaxey, jaxie

So, close enough! I guess it’s the spelling Jane Austen would have preferred but on a quick flick through Mansfield Park I couldn’t find an example. 

Plenty of references to jaxi in her novel Enema...

19 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

2. I'd like to see their picture that they have as they THINK! it was still in play...but as I said...i'll give the linesman a get out of jail free card...for that one

I think it was the one taken from the front row of the South Stand