Norwich City (H) Matchday thread

jono

12 minutes ago, DRBee said:

What does "deserved" to win  and "fair result"  mean here? There could have been no complaints if without the dodgy missed "out of play" events we had won. Perhaps you mean that Norwich had better goal chances but there is more to the game than that. The only compensation we have is that with the squad Warne has put together and our style of play this season  there is so much to enjoy even when losing (unfairly).

I frequently pick people up on the forum for misuse of the word “deserved” hence why I put it in quotation marks in my post.

I think that, based on the overall game, Norwich looked better than us (the ease with which they were able to find spaces and cut though us was a concern) but, there wasn’t a great deal in it - that’s why I think a point would have felt like more than just “a point gained” (which implies, in my mind, that really we “deserved” nothing from the game).

Edited by Tamworthram

I’m not a massive rugby fan and one of the reasons is the way it’s officiated.

You’ll hear commentators say the referee “gets a picture in his head” of who is committing fouls in scrums, mauls etc and they then go on to give most coin-toss decisions to one team.

I think yesterday’s officials went onto the pitch with a picture in their head of nice, skillful Norwich vs horrible, physical Derby and made decisions with that conscious or unconscious bias throughout.

The line calls for the goals were plain incompetence.

The absence of a card (or free kick?) for the tackle on NML vs a card for Fozzy for a routine minor foul…

The foul against Jackson @DavesaRam mentioned, where the lad just knelt down vs the two hands in the back push on Jackson in the same part of the pitch with nothing given….

The numerous times the ref talked to two players before a corner was given to warn them and then proceed to only give free kicks against Derby at corners…….

These were choices.

I can remember much worse officials last year in terms of errors but can’t remember getting a worse performance in terms of things going against us for quite a while. 

Not sure if this has been posted as I’ve not read the whole thread but this image of their 1st and 3rd goal made me fume.

IMG_1487.jpeg

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I was also annoyed at how much protection the ref afforded the keepers at corners. Jackson stood his ground and a foul was given on the keeper. I can understand if he’s nudged him whilst he’s in the air or has jumped into him but he’s under no obligation to move out of the way for the keeper to come. 

The amount of times in football the the ref gives a corner then thinks...hhhmmm was that the right decision, Oh well I'll reverse it when the ball comes in and give a free kick to the defending team.

2/3 times on the TV replays yesterday the commentators said...I couldn't see anything wrong there when the ref gave a freekick for something that wasn't 🤷‍♂️ 

19 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I’m not a massive rugby fan and one of the reasons is the way it’s officiated.

You’ll hear commentators say the referee “gets a picture in his head” of who is committing fouls in scrums, mauls etc and they then go on to give most coin-toss decisions to one team.

I think yesterday’s officials went onto the pitch with a picture in their head of nice, skillful Norwich vs horrible, physical Derby and made decisions with that conscious or unconscious bias throughout.

The line calls for the goals were plain incompetence.

The absence of a card (or free kick?) for the tackle on NML vs a card for Fozzy for a routine minor foul…

The foul against Jackson @DavesaRam mentioned, where the lad just knelt down vs the two hands in the back push on Jackson in the same part of the pitch with nothing given….

The numerous times the ref talked to two players before a corner was given to warn them and then proceed to only give free kicks against Derby at corners…….

These were choices.

I can remember much worse officials last year in terms of errors but can’t remember getting a worse performance in terms of things going against us for quite a while. 

Not sure if this has been posted as I’ve not read the whole thread but this image of their 1st and 3rd goal made me fume.

IMG_1487.jpeg

The second one is tight, to be fair, and the other side of the goal for the linesman. If you were looking in line with the line I think there could be some of that ball overhanging it.

The first one just pathetic though. If you cannot spot that you simply should not be officiating at the level, probably not any level. You can only assume he lost concentration in the scramble which is unforgivable.

Someone else pointed it out too. I have absolutely no idea how he had the nerve to give that soft free kick in his corner a minute into the second half. Anyone with an ounce of shame would have spent the second half doing what they could to atone for that ricket.

My thoughts for what they are worth...... too many players not up to snuff for me......cant have that at this level

Zetterstrom 5..... good and bad loved his "dribble" in their goal area at the end........unfortunately it very nearly ended giving away another goal

Nyambe 6 ...solid defender but his first touch is rubbish, takes so long controlling the ball promising moves are gone.

Nelson 5.....Solid enough but lacks pace and will get caught out again and again.

Cashin 9.... star performance blocks/ tackles/ driving forward and that shot wow so unlucky

Fozzie 9.5....Star performance crowned with a great goal MOTM

Osbourn 5 ....is not as good as I expected, gave the ball away a lot, passes being telegraphed

Kenzo 7.....superb player but not playing where he can influence the game

Adams...7 got caught up the pitch numerous times hell of a tackler though

Jackson 6.....got a bit lost after his glaring miss

NML 4.......the only thing of note was the pass to Jackson in the first half, the rest was well below par

Yates 4 ....ran around a lot but their CH 's had him in their pocket all game never looked like scoring which is what he is there for

subs Chirewa looks a tidy player the others will not let us down as squad players either.

This was a good game for the cameras, plenty of action with 2 teams trying to play. Sainz  was the difference in the teams as Smodics was at Blackburn. They can afford these star players we cannot.

On to Tuesday see if we can get something away for the first time.

COYR

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Must admit, I shot down the stairs at the final whistle, and felt guilty for not staying to applaud them off, as I have habitually done for the past couple of seasons, but truth is, I really should have nipped to the loo around the 70 minute mark, but was fearful of missing something important on the pitch, so I held out!

If I'd have stayed behind, I'd have been applauding them whilst stood in a puddle, and not one of the players (or Warne) deserves that!  😲

No worries. I don't expect fans to hang around after the final whistle. Individuals trickling out (no pun intended) in the last few minutes is standard too, but thousands heading for the exits at the same moment looked terrible, particularly as the players strained every sinew to claw back the two goals afterwards. I think the fact that it was only 2.30pm in the afternoon just had me scratching my head.

PG Wodehouse from the directors box.

Ah, Pride Park! Scene of many a stirring contest, a battleground where hopes are dashed, dreams are kindled, and, on this bright yet bruising afternoon, the Derby County faithful gathered, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, It was a day when the birds were singing, the grass was greening, and the Rams – God bless their stout hearts – strode onto the pitch with the air of men who have just been told that all the beer at the clubhouse is on the house. But, alas, by the end of the afternoon, it would seem that the beverage in question was tepid lemonade and that no free refills were to be had.

Norwich City, who, it must be said, have spent the better part of their recent history dodging between the Premier League and Championship like a particularly energetic and elusive sparrow, had arrived in town. They brought with them the usual accompaniment of Canary-yellow shirts, a bevy of talent, and, one must admit, a sense of entitlement that would not have been out of place in a duke’s drawing room. In fact, one could almost hear the sharp tapping of monocles being adjusted every time a pass went astray, or a linesman—who was, it must be said, no friend of the Pride Park masses—raised his flag with the elegance and precision of a man repeatedly pulling the lever on a faulty slot machine.

The match began with a veritable feast of energy and enthusiasm from the Rams, as they charged forward with all the zest of a regiment of cavalry. It was, in the early moments, as if a vast reservoir of optimism had been uncorked. The crowd, buoyed by the intoxicating scent of possible victory, roared their approval with such gusto that one felt the very pigeons atop the stadium were in peril of being blown away by the collective gale of Derby delight.

But what’s this? Early signs of trouble? Indeed. The air of joviality was soon punctured by an early display of Norwich’s prowess, like a balloon deflating with an audible wheeze at a children’s party. The Canaries, that infernal flock, had assembled a team of 14 men, or at least so it seemed to the vociferous home support, who were already discussing an urgent visit to their local opticians. There was talk of Specsavers, Stevie Wonder, and a general feeling that the officiating was less “in the spirit of the game” and more “like a man attempting to park a lorry in a telephone box.”

Still, the Rams did not quail. Up stepped the indomitable Craig Forsyth, who, despite advancing years, looked as sprightly as a young gazelle, albeit a gazelle who occasionally needed a moment to catch his breath. He lashed the ball with his right foot—a limb that has not always been celebrated for its precision—and, lo and behold, it sailed goalward with the sort of languid grace that one usually associates with a golfer sinking a ten-footer. The crowd erupted. “Magnificent!” they cried, “Unbelievable!” they added. It was, in truth, the sort of goal one might tell one’s grandchildren about, provided, of course, that one’s grandchildren have an interest in football and are not glued to their infernal devices.

But as any seasoned follower of the Rams knows, joy is often fleeting, and no sooner had the cheers died down than Norwich struck back with the ruthless efficiency of a tax collector on the first of the month. 

Yet, cruel fate would have the last laugh. Norwich, with all the insouciance of a cat batting a ball of string, found themselves once again in the ascendancy. Their third goal was a dagger to the heart, and though the Rams rallied valiantly, their efforts were, in the end, to no avail. It was a bitter defeat, made all the more galling by the general sense that the referee and his assistants had, as Clowes put it in a moment of rare eloquence, “about as much skill as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat’s left ear with a red-hot needle.”

As the final whistle blew and Norwich departed for the land of carrots and curious accents, there remained a sense of pride among the Derby contingent. Yes, they had lost, but they had fought nobly, and in this league of trials and tribulations, nobility counts for something. Onward now to Sunderland, and one dares say, a new chapter in the saga awaits.

Rumours of fresh investment swirled like champagne bubbles in the background, and one could only hope that with a few new coins in the coffers, Derby might find themselves better armed for the battles to come. But for now, the focus was on recovery, reflection, and, quite possibly, a quiet word with the chaps from the linesmen’s union.

Edited by hintonsboots

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

The second one is tight, to be fair, and the other side of the goal for the linesman. If you were looking in line with the line I think there could be some of that ball overhanging it.

This. The image posted isn't conclusive - you'd need the top down view or at least the line same angle as the first image for that.

With all the uproar I'd forgotten that Norwich didn't actually score their third as a direct result of the corner not being given to us, they cleared it and we regained possession only to lump it back upfield and lose it again.

That third goal is our fault, not the officials. With 3 mins left to play and knowledge there would be a fair chunk of injury time we weren't actually at the stage of desperation and needing to leave ourselves so open.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

18 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

This. The image posted isn't conclusive - you'd need the top down view or at least the line same angle as the first image for that.

With all the uproar I'd forgotten that Norwich didn't actually score their third as a direct result of the corner not being given to us, they cleared it and we regained possession only to lump it back upfield and lose it again.

That third goal is our fault, not the officials. With 3 mins left to play and knowledge there would be a fair chunk of injury time we weren't actually at the stage of desperation and needing to leave ourselves so open.

On 28/09/2024 at 09:58, Jimbo Ram said:

I thought we played well, and deserved at least a point, and the first goal for Norwich should have never been given, but I was proud with the players commitment and attitude, a d apart from the poir decisions made by the officials is was a good game of football, might get some luck at Sunderland on tuesday, and get our first away win of the season. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

10 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Fair point, we were over-extended at that point and should have covered the break better.

BUT we might have scored from the corner, or had a period of possession in their final third. When a wrong decision occurs, what happens thereafter cannot be the same as it might have been. The wrong decision for the first goal effectively created a completely different game.

I also don't think you can rely on the 4th official to award a fair amount of added time. With 3 minutes to go, I expect the team to take chances.

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Fair point, we were over-extended at that point and should have covered the break better.

BUT we might have scored from the corner, or had a period of possession in their final third. When a wrong decision occurs, what happens thereafter cannot be the same as it might have been. The wrong decision for the first goal effectively created a completely different game.

I also don't think you can rely on the 4th official to award a fair amount of added time. With 3 minutes to go, I expect the team to take chances.

Aye, it's all it's buts and maybes. It's just why I can't get angry about their third goal. I think it's one of those where, if we saw Forest fans complaining about it we'd probably claim that it doesn't wash as an excuse.

The first one though... I believe the acronym is smh.

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

The amount of times in football the the ref gives a corner then thinks...hhhmmm was that the right decision, Oh well I'll reverse it when the ball comes in and give a free kick to the defending team.

2/3 times on the TV replays yesterday the commentators said...I couldn't see anything wrong there when the ref gave a freekick for something that wasn't 🤷‍♂️ 

They were my thoughts at half time.

I'm sure they knew, between them (this was surely down to the linesman and not the ref) they'd got it wrong so I hoped they'd award us the softest penalty you'd ever seen early on in the second half in order to even things up (not really very professional but, as you say, I'm sure it happens). But alas, it didn't happen.