The Oasis Scandal (and it is one in my opinion)

I wrote an article about 8 of the psychological tricks that Ticketmaster employed to get people to buy.

It was a marketing masterclass in many respects.

But it was also incredibly deceitful and manipulative.

The post I wrote is aimed at coaches, but I think some of you might find it interesting.

I'd welcome your thoughts in this thread, especially if you bought tickets or tried to.

FWIW, I almost applied, but I changed my mind. Not because I had any clue what was going to happen with the pricing, but because I realised I was getting sucked into herd mentality, and whereas I quite like Oasis, that's about as far as it goes.

By the way, I'm in no way suggesting that some people won't get £350 of value from the gigs or that they're idiots. I'd probably pay £350 if The Jam reformed for one final round of gigs, even though I got to see them four times the first time around.

8 Ways to Use Ticketmaster Marketing (without the greed)

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I wrote an article about 8 of the psychological tricks that Ticketmaster employed to get people to buy.

It was a marketing masterclass in many respects.

But it was also incredibly deceitful and manipulative.

The post I wrote is aimed at coaches, but I think some of you might find it interesting.

I'd welcome your thoughts in this thread, especially if you bought tickets or tried to.

FWIW, I almost applied, but I changed my mind. Not because I had any clue what was going to happen with the pricing, but because I realised I was getting sucked into herd mentality, and whereas I quite like Oasis, that's about as far as it goes.

By the way, I'm in no way suggesting that some people won't get £350 of value from the gigs or that they're idiots. I'd probably pay £350 if The Jam reformed for one final round of gigs, even though I got to see them four times the first time around.

8 Ways to Use Ticketmaster Marketing (without the greed)

Me too , never saw them live , mate went to school with weller and got to see a small concert thing he did ( kind of invites ) in the Woking area a few years ago and didn’t know how big a jam fan I was or he would have taken me along 🤬, but yes I would pay top dollar to see them , got to play the old stuff from modern world , setting sons though 

It’s a lengthy piece, which I skimmed over towards the end if I’m being completely honest. Feels like some points didn’t apply.

status anxiety and endowment being two.

Scarcity, FOMO, Loss Aversion absolutely.

This is what it came down to basically.

The band will have known that the demand would be huge, they will have had the extra dates already lined up. 

Although to be fair, they could have tripled or more the dates and they would still be fairy scarce given the demand.

I’m not sure they could tolerate each other long enough to do that though so supply was never going to fill the demand.

Ticketmaster knew the demand would be huge, so to advertise the tickets at a certain price, then trigger in demand prices at more than double triggers the FOMO and Loss Aversion with no thinking time.

You don’t know how many they effectively let step up to the counter and order, knowing each one of these unknown quantity of people could be purchasing 4 tickets each helping friends out on the date you want.

So you’re there, f****** hell it’s double, if I snooze I lose, clocks ticking, website could go down, think I’m a bot.

They purchase as this opportunity might never be offered to you again. It’s a disgusting way to sell tickets. Had they priced them at say £250, no in demand pricing, they would have still sold out in the same time, generating more revenue and allowing people the time to consider their financial position.

In my friends circle, those that were big fans put themselves in the queue, some successful, others not.

We’re all in our 40s, which I guess many fans will be, status anxiety I would say is more seen in the under 30s with teenage to early 20s being at its peak. 

I don’t see Oasis being overly popular with that age range if I’m honest, would be a more niche band to like compared to the artists that are out there now.

Finally on point 8, this is wrong.

There was a pre sale ballot which took place on Friday evening at 7pm. It was only this that you were asked to sign up for.

General sale then took place on the Saturday at 9am which there was no sign up for, just login and get in the queue.

1 hour ago, Day said:

It’s a lengthy piece, which I skimmed over towards the end if I’m being completely honest. Feels like some points didn’t apply.

The band will have known that the demand would be huge, they will have had the extra dates already lined up. 

Although to be fair, they could have tripled or more the dates and they would still be fairy scarce given the demand.

I’m not sure they could tolerate each other long enough to do that though so supply was never going to fill the demand.

Ticketmaster knew the demand would be huge, so to advertise the tickets at a certain price, then trigger in demand prices at more than double triggers the FOMO and Loss Aversion with no thinking time.

You don’t know how many they effectively let step up to the counter and order, knowing each one of these unknown quantity of people could be purchasing 4 tickets each helping friends out on the date you want.

So you’re there, f****** hell it’s double, if I snooze I lose, clocks ticking, website could go down, think I’m a bot.

They purchase as this opportunity might never be offered to you again. It’s a disgusting way to sell tickets. Had they priced them at say £250, no in demand pricing, they would have still sold out in the same time, generating more revenue and allowing people the time to consider their financial position.

In my friends circle, those that were big fans put themselves in the queue, some successful, others not.

We’re all in our 40s, which I guess many fans will be, status anxiety I would say is more seen in the under 30s with teenage to early 20s being at its peak. 

I don’t see Oasis being overly popular with that age range if I’m honest, would be a more niche band to like compared to the artists that are out there now.

There was a pre sale ballot which took place on Friday evening at 7pm. It was only this that you were asked to sign up for.

General sale then took place on the Saturday at 9am which there was no sign up for, just login and get in the queue.

Signing up for the ballot and then waiting and seeing if you got accepted requires the commitment that then feeds into the consistency of following through.

So, I'm not sure what you're saying is wrong.

Status drops (status anxiety) are far more subtle and prevalent than that.

There will have been people who felt worse because friends or people they knew got tickets and they didn't. That is a classic status drop.

And I'm not saying that every person checked every box btw, just that these were some of the tricks they used.

There were others, like the bandwagon effect/social contagion and the affect heuristic, but I was largely focussing on the ones that people could use ethically.

It will be interesting to see the pricing on the new gigs.

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

Signing up for the ballot and then waiting and seeing if you got accepted requires the commitment that then feeds into the consistency of following through.

So, I'm not sure what you're saying is wrong.

Status drops (status anxiety) are far more subtle and prevalent than that.

There will have been people who felt worse because friends or people they knew got tickets and they didn't. That is a classic status drop.

And I'm not saying that every person checked every box btw, just that these were some of the tricks they used.

There were others, like the bandwagon effect/social contagion and the affect heuristic, but I was largely focussing on the ones that people could use ethically.

It will be interesting to see the pricing on the new gigs.

I was referring to the process of the ballot that’s all, it reads like the whole buying process was a ballot invite to purchase which it wasn’t.

The ballot was pre sale only. 

1 hour ago, Day said:

Oh, and I missed the endowment effect. It's a bit abstract, I admit. But if people had cognitively taken ownership of a ticket , and many will have, the huge price jump reflected something they already considered their own. It's like holding a puppy before you buy it. Once you do, you're ducked because, in your mind, it's yours.

I've been to a couple of these huge in the park concerts and they leave me cold. Miles back,  little atmosphere,  watching on a big screen... wouldnt have paid  £50... never mind £150 or £350.

Got friends who got to the front and baulked at the price and left after hours of queuing. 

They play up the 'lads off the estate' angle and then charge that much ..would resent them way too much to pay that even if it was loose change to me.

The big Oasis scandal is how s*** they were after the first two albums.

I enjoyed immensely their first two, and saw them twice in the 1990s and again I think in 2005ish when the knob that is Liam walked off the stage at Wembley. Haven’t had any interest in them since, or their s*** whiney spin-off bands and wouldn’t pay £20 to see them at Littlehampton Town Hall. Clearly though there are a huge number who don’t believe the truth. 

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I enjoyed immensely their first two, and saw them twice in the 1990s and again I think in 2005ish when the knob that is Liam walked off the stage at Wembley. Haven’t had any interest in them since, or their s*** whiney spin-off bands and wouldn’t pay £20 to see them at Littlehampton Town Hall. Clearly though there are a huge number who don’t believe the truth. 

The first two albums were s*** too

13 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Quoting @i-Ram because I know his opinion of Coldplay is pretty much the same. We went to see them last year in Barcelona. Our tickets cost 170€ each in the general standing area where the basic price was 115€. 55€ x 6 tickets to get exactly the same view as we would have done for the "official" price. It's legal robbery, but unfortunately will continue because it is just that, legal.

Adele tickets...Join the club 🙄

"Originally, tickets for the show ranged from $400 for regular admission to $1,000 for VIP passes. However, the demand has skyrocketed, with last-minute resale platforms such as Viagogo and Gametime reporting prices as high as $17,050 and $18,766, respectively, for top-tier seats"

https://www.ticketnews.com/2024/09/ticket-prices-skyrocket-for-adeles-last-concert-before-hiatus/

Edited by Ram-Alf

14 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Leonardo Dicaprio Ok GIF by MOODMAN

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The first two albums were s*** too

Probably a bit harsh to call them s***, but they were certainly lowest common denominator indie rock, a lukewarm rehash of loads of stuff that had come before. And I really couldn't stand the mouth-breather, faux-ignorant image that they projected.

Yet weirdly for whatever reasons, they hit the spot for an awful lot of people at just the right time.

Live, they were boring as hell (seen them three times - none of which were through choice, but that's a whole other story)

Don't begrudge them the success, and I'm a big fan of people having their passions awoken by watching live music, but the ticketing thing doesn't reflect well on them at all, and will probably stain their reputation forever

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to demand ticket pricing. Who actually gets all the extra money ? I'll assume it gets split with a certain percentage going to the artist and the rest to the ticket agent.

If Oasis are has they claim to be annoyed with the way the ticket sales were handled. Why aren't they offering to give any extra money they've got from these sales, back to the fans that have been ripped off?