Paul Warne, managers and plan

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

come on then, lets hear it. How are the warne supporters defending that one? 

It was poor, no excuses and it needs to be put right on Saturday. Shocks happen in cup competitions. Warne is there to win matches, he succeeded massively last season, I hope he does this season 

We have a collection of League One players and young hopefuls.

Warne can’t magic them into world beaters. Tonight’s performance was extremely disappointing and confirmed that Barkhuisen and Collins simply aren’t good enough at this level.

Our midfield is combative but technically very poor. I read that we had little possession against Middlesbrough and Watford because they are so good at pressing. Nonsense. We can’t keep possession because we can’t pass or control the ball.

Saturday is a new day and the starting eleven will be stronger than tonight’s.

But Bristol City will keep the ball and it could be a tough game.

Another of the worst performances I’ve ever seen in 45 years of watching the rams - sorry , love Warne but we are dead and buried and it’s no wonder players aren’t joining us - too much anti football- if it continues to be this bad he’ll be gone before Christmas, or if not we will be down 

cmooooonnn Derby sort it out!!!

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Warne can’t magic them into world beaters. Tonight’s performance was extremely disappointing and confirmed that Barkhuisen and Collins simply aren’t good enough at this level.

Our midfield is combative but technically very poor. I read that we had little possession against Middlesbrough and Watford because they are so good at pressing. Nonsense. We can’t keep possession because we can’t pass or control the ball.

He can’t mould them into league 2 beaters. If that’s the case why did he sign them 

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Should beat a Div 2 team then!

13 hours ago, Ambitious said:

To not be in a relegation scrap, the club need to fund that level of expectation. Clearly that's not the case, not to say that we are competitively budgeted against other teams expected to be in a relegation battle, but we are certainly within the bottom 6 clubs. 

I thought we would be equipped to be clear of a relegation battle after we were promoted, my anticipation was that we would have a significantly bigger budget than we actually have. I thought with likely £30+ million revenues and Clowes' willingness to write-off up to £10m a year that we would be ok. The £10m a year write off was evidently based on being in League One, suspect that he's trying to reduce that this season as much as possible. I absolutely can't fault him, obviously there is a call to do things more sustainably, but feel in that case we could've benefitted from a much different approach in League One. 

If we are relegated, perhaps we will see a different approach in League One. How much was out of design vs how much was due to EFL restrictions is anyone's guess. 

Yes fair enough but this is probably where our opinions differ, regardless of level of funding have we got the right manager to get us playing football and competing at this level,there are plenty of examples where managers have managed to get the so called lesser sides playing decent football and being technically able to compete, even when Clough was here we recruited well and played some decent stuff at times but Mac  worked with the players he inherited from Clough and took the same players to another level we were brave on the ball and played some of the best football I've seen as a Derby fan with the same squad plus a few additions mainly loans that is what we need now so its not a Warne bashing message but more a message that we maybe need someone different if it starts to look like we are struggling. 

My fear is that Warne ( who i genuinely like as a person ) is maybe out of his depth regarding being the right man to engineer a team capable of competing under the current circumstances because there is no point just saying " if we are relegated " I want a manager who is going to be able to keep us afloat and still be competitive under our current budget 

There is no point saying " oh well we didn't have the means to be able to stay up" when a good manager and tactician will give us that chance, this is no slur on Warne he done a good job getting us out of L1, but that's history now and like everything in football times change and decisions might have to be made

If DC genuinely thinks that the budget is competitive enough then I believe him , he said as much at end of season, we now have to make sure we have the correct person at the helm to be able to implement a team performance each week to keep us in this division , relegation is not an option or an excuse

In a perfect world Warne takes this squad (which is no better than a relegation scrapping team) and keeps us up. Then we get a new manager in at the end of the season to take over with hopefully new investment. The simple fact of the matter is no manager could come in and make Bradley, Elder, Nelson, Ebou play nice passing football. No manager could come in and make Collo, Barkhuizen and Ward have good end product to play at championship level.

These are players which were signed on a shoestring budget and during a business plan and a time of near extinction which were brought in for the simple fact of getting us promoted which happened. Warne is a good man who plays football the way he does (FYI every manager plays how they want) it’s not his fault he was appointed and given the job of promoting us and then stabilising us, which half of is already completed. 

I do know one thing though, Warne is a good man who cares and yes a lot of people don’t like him but nearly every player who’s played under him seems to think he’s a good man who gets it. So if we could get behind the team and Warne I know for a fact it’ll help us as a club a hell of a lot more than moaning about every little thing and things out of our control on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Yes fair enough but this is probably where our opinions differ, regardless of level of funding have we got the right manager to get us playing football and competing at this level,there are plenty of examples where managers have managed to get the so called lesser sides playing decent football and being technically able to compete, even when Clough was here we recruited well and played some decent stuff at times but Mac  worked with the players he inherited from Clough and took the same players to another level we were brave on the ball and played some of the best football I've seen as a Derby fan with the same squad plus a few additions mainly loans that is what we need now so its not a Warne bashing message but more a message that we maybe need someone different if it starts to look like we are struggling. 

My fear is that Warne ( who i genuinely like as a person ) is maybe out of his depth regarding being the right man to engineer a team capable of competing under the current circumstances because there is no point just saying " if we are relegated " I want a manager who is going to be able to keep us afloat and still be competitive under our current budget 

There is no point saying " oh well we didn't have the means to be able to stay up" when a good manager and tactician will give us that chance, this is no slur on Warne he done a good job getting us out of L1, but that's history now and like everything in football times change and decisions might have to be made

If DC genuinely thinks that the budget is competitive enough then I believe him , he said as much at end of season, we now have to make sure we have the correct person at the helm to be able to implement a team performance each week to keep us in this division , relegation is not an option or an excuse

Is the budget competitive?

I’d argue it’s competitive with Oxford, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth, who are also largely reliant on loans and free transfers to build upon squads that were in League 1 in the last 12-24 months.

That’s only four clubs from 23. The other 19 are ahead of us to varying degrees and can spend millions now or down the road to keep that distance from being closed.

While I do think Warne is not really helping himself with some of his decision making, I don’t think recruitment and our lack of spending power has really helped his cause.

We’ve only spent serious money to replace what we’ve lost. We haven’t really gone out and genuinely improved the squad and as such you can see with each passing game, the task ahead becomes ever clearer. It’s one of survival.