Investment

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think it'd have to be an equity jobby, but I don't think we need worry about breaching FFP anytime soon, as the volumes are very modest to date. I suspect we will again show a loss this year, but L1 losses are not counted (no FFP constraints in L1) and coming from where we have, Clowes and Pearce will be more mindful than most. 

If, as suggested, it may be Horan, the sums will not be particularly significant as while he's wealthy, he's not in the same stratosphere as some of the owners in this league.

All complete guesswork, I concede, but it's a nice way to begin the week and if Maz is correct and it's happening soon, might we get that striker we all want, or a German CB?

Oh for sure, I'm not concerned about us and FFP it was more just curiosity over what someone dropping a load of random cash might do rules wise. I'm sure Gibson would be all over it if the EFl weren't!

24 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Sounds good to me, it’s worked out pretty well for them 

Ed Sheeran has taken a 1.4% share of Ipswich Town,not a boerd member or a voting member,to me it looks like the deal was done to get a boardroom box for himself and friends.

2 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Ed Sheeran has taken a 1.4% share of Ipswich Town,not a boerd member or a voting member,to me it looks like the deal was done to get a boardroom box for himself and friends.

Think your forgetting the money he’s pumping into them through sponsoring them

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Oh for sure, I'm not concerned about us and FFP it was more just curiosity over what someone dropping a load of random cash might do rules wise. I'm sure Gibson would be all over it if the EFl weren't!

Take equity, I think. Typically, that's the only reason folk invest in football clubs anyway. My ramblings on Horan's role are pure guesswork.

I stand to be corrected on this but under the EFL’s profit and sustainability rules aren’t clubs only permitted to spend a restricted amount of income on transfer fees? That income being through gate receipts, TV revenues and sales of assets etc, but doesn’t include cash injections by rich sugar daddies or investors. P & S (or FFP as it used to be known - I can’t keep up!!) was introduced to effect a level playing field and to stop those lucky enough to have a rich owner being at an unfair advantage.

That being the case it doesn’t matter what a potential investor contributes because it can’t be spent on transfer fees. I guess it can be spent elsewhere - such as developing the academy, community projects, stadium development etc, which would allow more of the generated revenues to be used on strengthening the team. But ultimately we’re not permitted a transfer deficit exceeding £39 mil over a three-year rolling period. And isn’t that why Morris pulled that stunt with the stadium sale because we had exceeded that limit  (or whatever the limit was at the time).

I suppose my point is that some folk talk about new investment as though it’s the ultimate panacea, but it might not be the catch-all solution some seem to think it is.

Also, I don’t buy the argument from some that we’ll just become another Rotherham. We are in the same boat as most other clubs in this league outside of the parachute clubs. If we continue to be well run with shrewd management and a bottom-up approach we can get to where we want to be. It might take us a few years but personally I’d rather that than face the financial abyss again. 

1 hour ago, Earl of Tupton said:

I stand to be corrected on this but under the EFL’s profit and sustainability rules aren’t clubs only permitted to spend a restricted amount of income on transfer fees? That income being through gate receipts, TV revenues and sales of assets etc, but doesn’t include cash injections by rich sugar daddies or investors. P & S (or FFP as it used to be known - I can’t keep up!!) was introduced to effect a level playing field and to stop those lucky enough to have a rich owner being at an unfair advantage.

That being the case it doesn’t matter what a potential investor contributes because it can’t be spent on transfer fees. I guess it can be spent elsewhere - such as developing the academy, community projects, stadium development etc, which would allow more of the generated revenues to be used on strengthening the team. But ultimately we’re not permitted a transfer deficit exceeding £39 mil over a three-year rolling period. And isn’t that why Morris pulled that stunt with the stadium sale because we had exceeded that limit  (or whatever the limit was at the time).

I suppose my point is that some folk talk about new investment as though it’s the ultimate panacea, but it might not be the catch-all solution some seem to think it is.

Also, I don’t buy the argument from some that we’ll just become another Rotherham. We are in the same boat as most other clubs in this league outside of the parachute clubs. If we continue to be well run with shrewd management and a bottom-up approach we can get to where we want to be. It might take us a few years but personally I’d rather that than face the financial abyss again. 

This was my understanding of principle of ffp. Coupled to this, how does pubeheads' write off of £107m debt by converting to shares sit with ffp? Is it this sort of practice that lead him to chase derby for compensation? 

8 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

This was my understanding of principle of ffp. Coupled to this, how does pubeheads' write off of £107m debt by converting to shares sit with ffp? Is it this sort of practice that lead him to chase derby for compensation? 

Good point. I’ve often wondered that. Not to mention moving millions of debt into one of his holding companies and parking it there. And not a titter from the stuffed shirts at the EFL. But then this is pubehead we’re talking about. One rule for one and all that…