v Blackburn (A) Match Thread

Day

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sounds like Ward will miss the game whilst Adams and Nyambe may make the squad due to missing a few days of training. I'll be surprised if the starting 11 isn't:

Vickers
Wilson   Nelson   Cashin   Elder
Ozoh
Goudmijn   Osborn
Barkhuizen   Jackson   Mendez-Laing

I think you’re right, though that front line doesn’t scream goals to me. 
Probably okay in League One but not strong enough long term in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think you’re right, though that front line doesn’t scream goals to me. 
Probably okay in League One but not strong enough long term in the Championship.

It's certainly not a front 3 you'd like to see starting very often, but they'll do a job until we sign our targets.

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sounds like Ward will miss the game whilst Adams and Nyambe may make the squad due to missing a few days of training. I'll be surprised if the starting 11 isn't:

Vickers
Ozoh
Goudmijn   Osborn

Think above seems right except Collins in for Barks and Fozzy for elder. 

That way we effectively play 3-3-3 when attacking with Wilson acting as the spare man and runner to link the team up. 

7 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Think above seems right except Collins in for Barks and Fozzy for elder. 

That way we effectively play 3-3-3 when attacking with Wilson acting as the spare man and runner to link the team up. 

Collins won't be starting. There's a reason the only pre-season games he did start were against Matlock and Shrewsbury. There's also a reason Warne 'experimented' in the final two pre-season games with Mendez-Laing and Jackson upfront in one, and Barkhuizen making it a front 3 in the other.

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Vickers
Ozoh
Goudmijn   Osborn

I don't think you'll be far wrong there.

Personally, I'd play Fozzy over Elder as I think he's a vastly better player - and I'd play Collins over Jackson because, despite him appearing to be in inferior player, on current evidence, he's a better finisher.

And, to add to @RaminBerlin's comment....my lad went to the game on Saturday and also said Ozoh is the best player we've had since Mount.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Collins won't be starting. There's a reason the only pre-season games he did start were against Matlock and Shrewsbury. There's also a reason Warne 'experimented' in the final two pre-season games with Mendez-Laing and Jackson upfront in one, and Barkhuizen making it a front 3 in the other.

I hope Collins starts but also hope it’s one of only a handful of starts for the whole season. We looked so toothless with Jackson down the middle and he’s looked amazing when on the wing. If Collins starts and Daj comes on for him I think that’ll suit the game majorly as Collins will run himself into the ground until he comes off and will also win headers and flick ons for Jackson and NML to get onto. After we sign a striker and Yates comes back Collins will fall into 3rd choice but for Friday I do hope he starts. 

Blackburn were hoping to sign Jeffrey De Lange from Go Ahead Eagles last night, today in time to play us on Friday as Pears is not up to championship level. De Lange has now signed for Marseille which is a boost for us I guess. Also shows that us waiting a couple of weeks to get our top target in JWZ isn’t so bad worse things could happen.

At our disposal currently     

Vickers

wilson   Nelson Cashin.  Forsyth   

Oozy  Osborn 

Goudmijn 

NML.            Collins        Jackson 

maybe Nyambe instead of Wilson because we are away from home to start 

Collins has to start otherwise why resign him Barkhauzen Adam’s Elder Bradley and Brown to be the subs used 

Key points from Warnes Interview with BBCRadioDerby 

- Mentioned he was talking to a chairman of a club (when asked about how the championship has changed recently) but I presume it was to do with a transfer, could be wrong though. Means it’s either a championship club or a club who was relegated/promoted from it last year.

- Has nothing to add on the goalkeeper situation. Did mention he knows others involved have talked about the situation (Djurgarden) and doesn’t agree with that. “We are pushing along with a goalie”.

- Is FaceTiming 2 targets today. 

- Ebou Adams and Ryan Nyambe haven’t trained but will be available. 

- Joe Ward and Jake Rooney are the only players unavailable through injury. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4XoOYV8qiNQ5MM0VvA0qPu?si=zybNdBphTrCsRQH4mO5nCA&t=76&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A1vO39VusMDTihVAeOirMMV

1 hour ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I don't think you'll be far wrong there.

Personally, I'd play Fozzy over Elder as I think he's a vastly better player - and I'd play Collins over Jackson because, despite him appearing to be in inferior player, on current evidence, he's a better finisher.

And, to add to @RaminBerlin's comment....my lad went to the game on Saturday and also said Ozoh is the best player we've had since Mount.

Is Ozoh a better player than Beilik ? Not started a game yet for Palace . Like to see him complete 90 mins V Blackburn before we get too carried away .

23 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Is Ozoh a better player than Beilik ? Not started a game yet for Palace . Like to see him complete 90 mins V Blackburn before we get too carried away .

No Idea. I've not seen Ozoh in the flesh yet but he's played for Palace in the Prem hasn't he?

27 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

No Idea. I've not seen Ozoh in the flesh yet but he's played for Palace in the Prem hasn't he?

Sub appearances I believe . He was dead on his feet after 70 mins on Saturday. Games come thick and fast now . He will get fitter. Have to be careful, We don’t have enough players to take a big injury list . 

Sounds like Blackburn have just missed out on a keeper so will be having to play their back up like us, doesnt seem Pears is rated highly. At least with Vickers we have a decent keeper, he had 1 bad preseason game but is still decent enough

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Sounds like Blackburn have just missed out on a keeper so will be having to play their back up like us, doesnt seem Pears is rated highly. At least with Vickers we have a decent keeper, he had 1 bad preseason game but is still decent enough

I remember when vickers came some said he was too good for Rotherham in the championship at the time , and wildsmith was in a similar boat at sheff wed of being 2nd fiddle then came and had a good season,  part of me thinks he's capable of doing the same 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Bit weird going into a game into a new season with not a clue how it’s going to go, I have no idea what to expect on Friday night

Similar to the home game against Huddersfield where we were heavily tipped to go down, so were they. Everything was closed, ticket office hadn't been open and players we had on trial couldn't get signed up. Obviously we're in a very different place now, but ironically that's the only time I've been pleasantly surprised on opening day. 

Both teams were good and I remember saying that both will be ok over the course of the season - Huddersfield did a lot better and finished 3rd (cheated out of a Premier League place) and we would've been safe if not for point deductions. 

I think we were relatively underwhelmed despite a 1-0 win at home to Oxford in 22/23 and were mortified with our home loss to Wigan last season. I'd take pleasantly surprised over underwhelmed expectant all day.