Poor old commentary team

15 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Don't get me  started on pronunciation. It seems the English language has lost all T's. For example water is wor-er, and Better is be-er

Let me run that by you again.

Don' ge me star-ed on pronunciation. etc etc etc sorry ec ec ec

Camon Lu-on is particularly galling 🙂

As I'm fluent in Dutch, having lived here since 1984, I'll help with the correct pronunciation of Kenzo's surname. The G in Dutch is a gutteral sound. You are probably all capable of spitting, commencing with that throaty "gargle". That's the G sound in Dutch, short and sharp so, it's the gutteral G followed by oud which rhymes with "loud" and mijn rhymes with "mine". Two syllables, Goud and mine. Simple. Hopefully @Owen87ITK will read this and correct his pronunciation of Goudmijn.

16 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

As I'm fluent in Dutch, having lived here since 1984, I'll help with the correct pronunciation of Kenzo's surname. The G in Dutch is a gutteral sound. You are probably all capable of spitting, commencing with that throaty "gargle". That's the G sound in Dutch, short and sharp so, it's the gutteral G followed by oud which rhymes with "loud" and mijn rhymes with "mine". Two syllables, Goud and mine. Simple. Hopefully @Owen87ITK will read this and correct his pronunciation of Goudmijn.

Hopefully he will turn out to be a ggggold mine

13 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

If we sign any of these foreign players mentioned, they will have to get some practice in getting the names right.

What happened to names like Webster, Davies and Hinton lol?

Oops, I think this is the wrong forum section......I've had a drink lol

I remember you posting the same thing in the 50s moaning about Irish names.

57 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I don’t doubt your credentials, and I know I’m not quite hitting the gargle sound quite right every time. It’s a bit tricky in the flow of a commentary when you’re not used to it.

But I went back and forth with Kenzo about 15 times to get it right, and he was happy with my pronunciation so 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Owen87ITK said:

I don’t doubt your credentials, and I know I’m not quite hitting the gargle sound quite right every time. It’s a bit tricky in the flow of a commentary when you’re not used to it.

But I went back and forth with Kenzo about 15 times to get it right, and he was happy with my pronunciation so 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can remember the rhyme with loud every time you look at Barks jumpers😁

18 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

If we sign any of these foreign players mentioned, they will have to get some practice in getting the names right.

What happened to names like Webster, Davies and Hinton lol?

Oops, I think this is the wrong forum section......I've had a drink lol

They usually have a phonetic "what it sounds like" version next to names (I recall Motty showed how he managed the names in a game between Poland and the Czech Republic years back):

Reading... Red-ing

Hunstanton - Huns-ton.

Berkshire - Bark-shire.

23 hours ago, Owen87ITK said:

A gentleman such as yourself probably doesn't spit anyway so the H sound at the beginning is perfectly acceptable. 

On 19/07/2024 at 14:37, Owen87ITK said:

You’ll have to get him to do a short reel on how to pronounce his name.  God help us if he doesn’t pronounce it like @MadAmsterdoes.  Is Kenzo even Dutch? Do we have another Esteban Feutes on our hands?  These are questions we need answers too!

12 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You’ll have to get him to do a short reel on how to pronounce his name.  God help us if he doesn’t pronounce it like @MadAmsterdoes.  Is Kenzo even Dutch? Do we have another Esteban Feutes on our hands?  These are questions we need answers too!

It could be that they're just humouring @MadAmster and in reality he sounds like Arthur Bostrom speaking Dutch. We probably need third party verification before accepting his version over an actual Dutch bloke.

The trouble with pronunciation in English is things like this. 
“Read rhymes with lead and read rhymes with lead, but read doesn’t rhyme with lead and read doesn’t rhyme with lead”

Various pronunciations to use in above:
Read - present tense of verb to read
Read - past tense of verb to read
Lead - dogs collar
Lead - the metal

17 hours ago, Boycie said:

Kenzo's dad, Kenneth, who was also a professional footballer, was born in Paramaribo, Suriname. Kenzo was born in Hoorn in the Netherlands. He therefore qualifies to play for both countries. Ergo, he is Dutch.

Fuetes? I don't recall having heard of a Derby player by that name...  😉

17 hours ago, Crewton said:

It could be that they're just humouring @MadAmster and in reality he sounds like Arthur Bostrom speaking Dutch. We probably need third party verification before accepting his version over an actual Dutch bloke.

'Allo, 'Allo. Would you be happier if you knew that I possess Dutch nationality? Ergo, I am, actually, a Dutch bloke  🙂 

Edited by MadAmster