UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

40 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

So England are absolutely dire, manager is hopeless, the players are terrible, the big time charlies have not shown up. Yet we won the group, have an easy route to the final, that if we don't make it means the players are rubbish and Southgate should be throw in jail.

Thing is, Southgate is so flaccid he’s beginning to select the squad according to a sort of national consensus. I think we’ll therefore see Mainoo start next game and we’ll see a lot more of eg Palmer and Gordon. That team could really do things 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

So England are absolutely dire, manager is hopeless, the players are terrible, the big time charlies have not shown up. Yet we won the group, have an easy route to the final, that if we don't make it means the players are rubbish and Southgate should be throw in jail.

Has anyone actually said England are dire? I don’t think we have played well, five points reflecte that. But if people think it’s dire then their expectations are too lofty.

If we don’t reach the final it will be a failure. We are stronger than Italy and Holland. 

21 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You don't live in the uk right?

No. 

Are you talking about people on here? People in the pub? In the media?

I haven’t read too many comments on here saying we are dire. Playing poorly, disjointed, slow yes.

But dire? Seems extreme unless expectations are that we should be walking through these teams by three or four.

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

IMO Southgate hasn’t been any better than Sven.

England may have got further, but IMO that is because under Sven we played better opposition in an earlier round.

They both have a common denominator. Play a top ranked side and lose.

Sven lost 4 games over 3 major tournaments - Portugal x2, France and Brazil. One being a group game.

Southgate lost 4 games over 3 major tournaments - Belgium, Croatia, Italy and France. One being a group game.

You mentioned Deschamps not having a track record. But France beat 2014 WC winners Germany in 2016, they beat Argentina and Belgium en route to the final in 18. Even before winning the WC, they at least beat some top sides.

In my mind Southgate hasn’t recorded a single win over a top 10 ranked side at the WC or Euros. You may disagree.

If you’re talking about the 2018 Belgium group game that isn’t a fair comparison to the matches you’re comparing it to. We were already through to the knockout stages and Southgate rested players.

Edited by Will the Ram

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Thing is, Southgate is so flaccid he’s beginning to select the squad according to a sort of national consensus. I think we’ll therefore see Mainoo start next game and we’ll see a lot more of eg Palmer and Gordon. That team could really do things 

Foden almost certain to be a sub in the next game to I would have thought due to his time away.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Who has he picked based on a national concensus?

If anything I'd say he's being stubborn and not making the changes that people want. In fact I don't think I saw a single call for Gallagher to replace TAA?

SUI
                     SUI
ITA

ENG

ENG
                     ENG
SVK

ENG

ROU
                     NET
NET

AUT

AUT
                     AUT
TUR

ENG       Euro 2020 Thumbs Up GIF by Jake Martella                             

GER 
                     GER
DEN

GER

ESP
                     ESP
GEO

GER

FRA
                     FRA
BEL

FRA

POR
                     POR
SVN

There... I've said it!  

5 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Foden almost certain to be a sub in the next game to I would have thought due to his time away.

Oh I hope he sticks with Foden.
The courageous move would be to drop Kane though I don’t think he will. As we saw against Croatia last time, he gradually looks more and more worn out as the tournament progresses. Very surprising to see him get a full 90 mins last game