UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

All the talk about “he’s done what he’s needed to do” is fine, but there’s 3 counter points to that. 

Momentum. We have zero. 

The ability to actually play well. We haven’t shown it whatsoever with this team. Why are we suddenly going to flip a switch and start creating and scoring chances?

Southgate. Showing he still hasn’t learnt and he remains overly cautious, odd selections and substitutions. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Like in 2000 when we beat Germany, they didn’t get out of the groups because they also faltered in other games.

I’m not trying to wind anyone up or anything. I’m merely stating a fact. England haven’t beaten a top 10 ranked side in the world in a knockout game of football in over 35 years.

You might find this just a coincidence, or a totally irrelevant, pointless fact. 

But I think there is a meaning behind it. 

On some occasions I think we have just had bad luck. We lost to Italy and Portugal on penalties, twice each. We were unlucky against France, had that Lampard goal not count against Germany, while I refuse to believe Ronaldinho was actually attempting to score from that free kick.

But I just find it amazing how we always seem to come up short against the better sides. 

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

You were saying that Argentina weren't any good and I was rewriting history to say they were. 

You also say that there is meaning behind England not beating a top 10 side, in a knockout match (but don't forget foreign soil). But you then list loads of unlucky matches, except you also include Lampards disallowed goal in a game England were dire in.

I'm not sure why this knockout question is so hard to understand. Between 96 and 04, we lost 4 knockout matches from 5 tournaments, 2 on pens, one vs Brazil, one vs Argentina when Beckham got sent off. Small sample size, but a but unlucky.

From 06 to 16, we were dire. Terrible managers, over hyped and idiot celebrity players.

Under Southgate, a game vs Croatia we weren't quite good enough in, a pen loss vs Italy, then a close game vs France when we missed a pen too.

There ars fine margins in knockout games against the best teams. A couple more penalty wins and we could have been one of the most successful tournament sides in last 30 years.

We probably lack a little belief at key moments and it's a vicious circle now.

55 minutes ago, Srg said:

All the talk about “he’s done what he’s needed to do” is fine, but there’s 3 counter points to that. 

Momentum. We have zero. 

The ability to actually play well. We haven’t shown it whatsoever with this team. Why are we suddenly going to flip a switch and start creating and scoring chances?

Southgate. Showing he still hasn’t learnt and he remains overly cautious, odd selections and substitutions. 

Just looking for the teams that have momentum...

Germany draw with Switzerland

Spain beat Albania

Italy draw with Croatia

France draw with Poland

Holland lost to Austria ️ (could Austria be the dark horses in this comp?)

Obviously need to see how Portugal and Belgium do today but I'd say there is currently Spain with any sort of momentum. 

29 minutes ago, angieram said:

Netherlands were wide open at the back against Austria and they'll push forward in attack - I think we'd have a good chance of beating them.

It wasn't so much of their defence but their midfield it's really inexperienced and it's showed in their 3 games. They are really missing Koopmeiners and De Jong badly.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just looking for the teams that have momentum...

Germany draw with Switzerland

Spain beat Albania

Italy draw with Croatia

France draw with Poland

Holland lost to Austria ️ (could Austria be the dark horses in this comp?)

Obviously need to see how Portugal and Belgium do today but I'd say there is currently Spain with any sort of momentum. 

Germany have at least shown an aptitude to play well this tournament. Italy aren't very good. France should be better, but again, have a manager who's proven he can be better and has a track record, which Southgate doesn't have.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Germany have at least shown an aptitude to play well this tournament. Italy aren't very good. France should be better, but again, have a manager who's proven he can be better and has a track record, which Southgate doesn't have.

Germany won against 2 very poor sides in Scotland and Hungary.

Southgate doesn't have a track record?????

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Germany won against 2 very poor sides in Scotland and Hungary.

Southgate doesn't have a track record?????

No, he doesn't. What has he won? Deschamps has won tournaments, he was a good manager before he managed France. Southgate wasn't. He's bored us through to a final that he should have won, but didn't due to his set up, cautiousness, game management and inability to make a substitution. Guess that's his track record.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

England are the ultimate median international football team.

Poor international sides lose to England, great international sides beat England and middling international sides might win or lose against England.

Mid.

If we had a decent manager we wouldn't be. I read our front 4 were involved in 165 goals last season for club. If that front four was led into a brothel by Southgate they'd come out sucking their thumbs.

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

No, he doesn't. What has he won? Deschamps has won tournaments, he was a good manager before he managed France. Southgate wasn't. He's bored us through to a final that he should have won, but didn't due to his set up, cautiousness, game management and inability to make a substitution. Guess that's his track record.

If a semi final, final and quarter final at International level isn't a track record them I'm not really sure what is.

Deschamps record in his first 3 tournaments was quarter final, final, final, so really not much difference to Southgate. 

Deschamps win percentage as France manager is 60.3% compared to Southgates 61.3%.

22 minutes ago, YouRams said:

If we had a decent manager we wouldn't be. I read our front 4 were involved in 165 goals last season for club. If that front four was led into a brothel by Southgate they'd come out sucking their thumbs.

I remember when things like that were said in the early 2000s.

I've reached the conclusion that basically any good manager archives this kind of level with the England team. Obviously, some England managers achieve less.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I remember when things like that were said in the early 2000s.

I've reached the conclusion that basically any good manager achieves this kind of level with the England team. Obviously, some England managers achieve less.

That's the point isn't it. The pool of players the England manager has to chose from, the level that they play at, we should be doing really well at tournaments if we had 'any good manager'. Southgate is FA friendly, a pleasant chap and not 'any good manager'.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

That's the point isn't it. The pool of players the England manager has to chose from, the level that they play at, we should be doing really well at tournaments if we had 'any good manager'. Southgate is FA friendly, a pleasant chap and not 'any good manager'.

What is your definition of 'doing really well at tournaments'?