Lawn Bowls

Mostyn6

Has anyone ever played it?

I've never had a go at it myself.

As some of you know from other threads, in the last couple of years, I have connected (thanks to AncestryDNA) with my biological father and several siblings. My "Dad" is mad on Bowls, and my younger brother plays a pretty high level and is current national Scottish Champion as well as previous European Open champion (https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/23724957.lawn-bowls-dunfermline-northerns-daniel-martin-wins-scottish-title/)

When I first met them, I drove over to Rhyl where there was a Under 25s Home Nations tournament  (England v Scotland v Wales v Combined Ireland), it was held indoors and I didn't really expect it to be as "Rock and Roll" as it was. There were fans there, groupies, autograph hunters, legends of the game being given VIP treatment etc.

Every time I've been up to visit them in Dunfermline, there's always been someone coming over to take a selfie and chat about Bowls. I find it really surreal having tried most sports and having never even been given opportunity to try it. The skill level looks impressive and hard to master.

I know the posters here range in location, so wondering if this sport was ever introduced to you.

46 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

As some of you know from other threads, in the last couple of years, I have connected (thanks to AncestryDNA) with my biological father and several siblings. My "Dad" is mad on Bowls, and my younger brother plays a pretty high level and is current national Scottish Champion as well as previous European Open champion (https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/23724957.lawn-bowls-dunfermline-northerns-daniel-martin-wins-scottish-title/)

When I first met them, I drove over to Rhyl where there was a Under 25s Home Nations tournament  (England v Scotland v Wales v Combined Ireland), it was held indoors and I didn't really expect it to be as "Rock and Roll" as it was. There were fans there, groupies, autograph hunters, legends of the game being given VIP treatment etc.

Every time I've been up to visit them in Dunfermline, there's always been someone coming over to take a selfie and chat about Bowls. I find it really surreal having tried most sports and having never even been given opportunity to try it. The skill level looks impressive and hard to master.

I know the posters here range in location, so wondering if this sport was ever introduced to you.

I played County level bowls between the age of 16 and 21, and really enjoyed it as a sport. Very skilful game, especially on some outdoor greens (indoor greens are much more predictable!). I stopped playing, and have never returned, as I preferred playing cricket, and the club I was a member of was mainly middle-aged to elderly bowlers. Some great characters, but not the greatest company. I often read it is now a younger man (or women's) sport, and I think it is at a competive level, but my guess is that most clubs are dying on their arses failing to attact young players who want to play club matches. You should give it a go though; nothing not to enjoy.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I played County level bowls between the age of 16 and 21, and really enjoyed it as a sport. Very skilful game, especially on some outdoor greens (indoor greens are much more predictable!). I stopped playing, and have never returned, as I preferred playing cricket, and the club I was a member of was mainly middle-aged to elderly bowlers. Some great characters, but not the greatest company. I often read it is now a younger man (or women's) sport, and I think it is at a competive level, but my guess is that most clubs are dying on their arses failing to attact young players who want to play club matches. You should give it a go though; nothing not to enjoy.

I've been playing golf and misjudging the pace of greens, with an unweighted but balanced ball for 20 years now! I dread how much it will wreck my head trying to do it with a bowling ball!

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

I've been playing golf and misjudging the pace of greens, with an unweighted but balanced ball for 20 years now! I dread how much it will wreck my head trying to do it with a bowling ball!

It is all about ‘feel’. I think it easier to bowl than play golf. The size and weight of your ‘woods’ is key. Once you have used a set that feels right in the hand you can start to significantly improve with practice and game time. Give it a go 

Only had the one go... at Skeggy about 30 years ago... but it was most enjoyable, (and I managed to beat Muckerette!) and in hindsight, I'm quite surprised I haven't had another go (thus far).

As @i-Ram says, I'd agree there's nothing not to like.  Requires more skill than may be visually evident to some, (ditto golf!) and it appears to be mostly played in convivial surroundings (ditto golf).

It appears you now have the opportunity, with the added bonus of expert tuition!  You'd be daft not to at least give it a try, imo.

#nowt to lose*

(*that's for you, @Day)

I forgot to add, the Home International tournament this year is in Leamington Spa in about 6 weeks, and my brother has been selected for Scotland. I'm planning to nip down and watch and have a few beers. See if the groupies have followed them! 😄

22 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

One summer when we were kids we used to be always hanging round the park being pests ( not real bad just daft kids ) we used to laugh at the oldies playing crown green bowls , then one day the parky got hold of us and said right , you want to laugh ,let’s see how good you are , he let us play for free and gave us a few tips , it was great and we badgered him the rest of the summer holidays to let us play which he did for free whenever he could , really good game and oh for the days when a parky could and would do stuff like that for the kids 

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Yawn Bowls more like, what wrong with 10 pin?

Nothing at all.

When I was living down Hampshire way, a few old pubs had traditional bowling alleys, which were great for a social do.

24 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Nothing at all.

When I was living down Hampshire way, a few old pubs had traditional bowling alleys, which were great for a social do.

Arh, Skittles, they have a tin plate on the floor before the pins that you have to throw the ball over to hit the pins.  Don’t you have to also hit the king pin first? 

44 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Arh, Skittles, they have a tin plate on the floor before the pins that you have to throw the ball over to hit the pins.  Don’t you have to also hit the king pin first? 

Can't remember the details, probably due to the amount of Gales HSB consumed each time, soz.

6 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Ah Gales ales from Horndean , used to pop in the brewery pub when I lived in Pompey back in the 80’s . Used to like a drop of HSB myself. 

Bought out by Fullers a few years ago. Not sure if it's still brewed. 

On 18/05/2024 at 08:16, Boycie said:

Yawn Bowls more like, what wrong with 10 pin?

I used to bowl (tenpin) with a guy (Noel Roche) who used to bowl both tenpin and lawn for Ireland - this was around 20 years ago. He said that if you could do one well, there was no reason why you shouldn't be able to excel at t'other because the same hand-eye co-ordination was involved. Although I used to bowl to national and international championship standard, I never tried "old man's marbles". Too old now, and not enough joints in my body work well enough.