How much do you think we have to spend on actual transfer fees?

Somehow I dont think we will have enough to sign the likes of Haji Wright and Keife Moore haha the types of players who turn you into play off contenders so we will be looking for 1-2mill gambles from lower or foriegn leagues maybe the Eridevise or Scandanavia as it has been mentioned in DET that Warne has been scouting there or free agents and Prem loans. Not really a fan of Prem Loans though as we wont have the pull power to get the best ones over other teams in this league and it would be more for depth.

The key signings will be a marquee striker and a creative mid would like a better left back than what we currently have if we want to play 4atb ,Adams and a good left footed winger with some creativity.

I'm going to guess:

- 3 free agents

- 3 loans (Prem youngsters)

- 4 fees (2 nominal fees of less than 500k - Adams included - and 2 "marquee" signings of 1m+)

Total spend 3m-ish.

On 18/05/2024 at 15:00, Scott129 said:

I'm going to guess:

- 3 free agents

- 3 loans (Prem youngsters)

- 4 fees (2 nominal fees of less than 500k - Adams included - and 2 "marquee" signings of 1m+)

Total spend 3m-ish.

I can see very few fees paid - and being top payers (at our level) for free transfers.  Adams an exception, as he has shown his worth.

We have £8m (more) from TV money this coming season that we didn't last - so that is a lot of additional revenue that can be shifted to paying top wages. 

Turning fees to wages, in my view, gets you further as it is not a dead cost - and is spread over several seasons.  One £3m signing prevents maybe 4 or 5 other players coming on the books.     

1 hour ago, Ram1988 said:

Maybe a couple of million in total? I doubt it will be much more. I do think if we act early there is plenty of decent free agents about.

Agree . But I was wondering - If Pochettino was our manager and could pick his own signings , like he wants . Would he actually make a massive difference in results ? 

Posted (edited)

Whilst DC is our owner and funder, we'll always have to spend within our overall turnover budget. No sensible fan can ask him to dig deeper into his (comparitively small for this league) pockets. He's spent £50m+ saving us and we all love him for it.

Now we'll sink or swim on how wisely we spend that budget. The only way that may potentially change is with outside investment.

For now I - and I'd guess 99% of us will be happy to see what that budget will buy us in our first season back in this league.

Don't chuffing overspend though. We know where that got us. If it's not enough to keep us up so be it. I think it will be. But just accept, in our first season back, it could go either way.

Loving the ride. Within our means.

Edited by Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster

Possibly be just 2 or 3 million, which being realistic isn't going to go very far. I read somewhere that the parachute payments to relegated clubs is circa £90m, so that puts things into perspective. Obviously, if we get £40m for Cashin and £25m for Dajaune Brown things may look a little different 😉

Posted (edited)

It won't be a set amount - it will be a budget between that, loans, signing on fees and wages - and it will all depend what comes up and in what order. The important thing is stretching it far enough for a keeper, a couple of midfielders, a striker and whatever else we need to strengthen/replace. Bear in mind that Fornah and Washington add-ons and signing on fees for CBT will come out of it too.

Despite the released players, I imagine some players wages will rise based on promotion, and like for like replacements will be on higher salaries due to hopefully being better players. Revenue will rise slightly through additional TV monies/sponsorship etc, so I don't think its unfeasable to guess we will have a higher wage budget and a little money to spend, but I'm not expecting any fees over £500k

If Warne wants Clowes to find £1m for a striker then he probably will be able to but it would impact the other areas.  Realistically I would guess we'll pay maybe £350k to bring Adams back, pick up a few frees and loans, and then at a push maybe another £500-600k on a striker and/or keeper if there's no-one suitable out of contract.

If anybody is expecting expensive (by our standard) marquee signings  I think you need to lower your expectations - the good thing though is there are a lot of decent players on frees this summer for our current level.

Edited by Rample

On 18/05/2024 at 14:50, Marriot Ram99 said:

Somehow I dont think we will have enough to sign the likes of Haji Wright and Keife Moore haha the types of players who turn you into play off contenders so we will be looking for 1-2mill gambles from lower or foriegn leagues maybe the Eridevise or Scandanavia as it has been mentioned in DET that Warne has been scouting there or free agents and Prem loans. Not really a fan of Prem Loans though as we wont have the pull power to get the best ones over other teams in this league and it would be more for depth.

The key signings will be a marquee striker and a creative mid would like a better left back than what we currently have if we want to play 4atb ,Adams and a good left footed winger with some creativity.

Our best team in my 28 years of supporting Derby was built with nominal fees. The core squad between 2012 and 2014 

11 hours ago, Rample said:

It won't be a set amount - it will be a budget between that, loans, signing on fees and wages - and it will all depend what comes up and in what order. The important thing is stretching it far enough for a keeper, a couple of midfielders, a striker and whatever else we need to strengthen/replace. Bear in mind that Fornah and Washington add-ons and signing on fees for CBT will come out of it too.

Despite the released players, I imagine some players wages will rise based on promotion, and like for like replacements will be on higher salaries due to hopefully being better players. Revenue will rise slightly through additional TV monies/sponsorship etc, so I don't think its unfeasable to guess we will have a higher wage budget and a little money to spend, but I'm not expecting any fees over £500k

If Warne wants Clowes to find £1m for a striker then he probably will be able to but it would impact the other areas.  Realistically I would guess we'll pay maybe £350k to bring Adams back, pick up a few frees and loans, and then at a push maybe another £500-600k on a striker and/or keeper if there's no-one suitable out of contract.

If anybody is expecting expensive (by our standard) marquee signings  I think you need to lower your expectations - the good thing though is there are a lot of decent players on frees this summer for our current level.

Agree with much of what you've said apart from revenue rising slightly, revenue will rise by about 50% from around £20m turnover to around £30m turnover. The tv share out would have risen by about £6m under the old tv agreement, but there is a significant increase in the new agreement starting this season. Ticket prices have risen by about 10% and together with larger gates, I would expect an extra million of revenue there. Added to this, I would expect additional commercial and sponsorship money to come in.

When think that our accounts showed a first team wage bill of £7m, this extra £10m should cover extra wages and a small transfer fund, whilst maintaining the current financial situation.

On 18/05/2024 at 09:38, Archied said:

Yep , that’s what I thought he meant though I’m not sure it will be too much difference as pp was THE big away day for many clubs in league 1

The average number of away fans at Pride Park last season was 1,430.

The average number of away fans in the championship last season was 1,790.

Lots of information here.

IMG_0256.png

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Foreveram said:

The average number of away fans at Pride Park last season was 1,430.

The average number of away fans in the championship last season was 1,790.

Lots of information here.

IMG_0256.png

Very interesting, is there a similar table for Lg1?

Our gates didn't suffer that much from lack of away support when we dropped down to Lg1, because PP seemed to be everyone's 'Wembley'. Next season will see a minimal increase from away fans especially when considering we will lose 3 of the highest away followings from this season.

Edited by ram59
Further information

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Very interesting, is there a similar table for Lg1?

Our gates didn't suffer that much from lack of away support when we dropped down to Lg1, because PP seemed to be everyone's 'Wembley'. Next season will see a minimal increase from away fans especially when considering we will lose 3 of the highest away followings from this season.

I can’t find anything up to date for League One, only the same table that was discussed on another thread that was from December 28th.

IMG_0257.png

40 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I can’t find anything up to date for League One, only the same table that was discussed on another thread that was from December 28th.

IMG_0257.png

An interesting statistic would be a comparison of Lg1 teams' average away numbers excluding the PP figure, with the PP figure. 

I would imagine that a number of teams running out at PP were astonished at the number and atmosphere of their fans that had turned out, in comparison to their normal away following.

On 21/05/2024 at 17:59, Simmo’s left foot said:

All that money will do is cover existing losses.

We don't have £8m in losses.

Basically, we can - seasons after not withstanding - spend £8m more on wages to have the same revenue/spending point.  

22 hours ago, europia said:

Possibly be just 2 or 3 million, which being realistic isn't going to go very far. I read somewhere that the parachute payments to relegated clubs is circa £90m, so that puts things into perspective. Obviously, if we get £40m for Cashin and £25m for Dajaune Brown things may look a little different 😉

I can hear a voice…..‘they’re worth much more than that, 80 mill at least’ 😊

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

We don't have £8m in losses.

Basically, we can - seasons after not withstanding - spend £8m more on wages to have the same revenue/spending point.  

On what are you basing that assertion?

22/23, we lost £10M, some of which was due to the mess MM had put us in and the costs of getting us out of Admin. Virtually the same average gate in 23/24 and other income is likely to have been similar as the one before. I expect us, based on that, to have a loss on last season but a lower one than the season before. That would mean we lost £10M in 22/23 plus maybe half of that again last season.

Your statement that we can "spend £8m more on wages to have the same revenue/spending point" doesn't seem to add up. Sending the extra gate/TV money would likely see us make yet another loss. That's David Clowes' money we'd be losing. He might be said to be "worth" £250M but what most people fail to understand is that the vast majority of that "worth" is land, buildings, plant, machinery, a football ground etc.  Unfortunately it is NOT liquid assets he can fritter away.

If I've got this all wrong, I would be ecstatic if someone could explain to me how/why so that I can better understand the current state of play. I would appreciate any explanation taking into account the £36M we already owe David Clowes.

Edited by MadAmster

The Premier League Prize money table was announced at the weekend and it ranged from Manchester City banking £143.4m for finishing top.

The three relegated clubs received the following: Sheffield Utd (20th) £102.2m; Burnley (19th) £104.3m & Luton (18th) 106.5m, respectively. Forest, for finishing 4th from bottom, receiving £108.7m.

The total prize & TV money distributed to the 20 clubs was £2.455 billion = an average of £122.75m each.

The three relegated teams from the the Premier League will also receive parachute payments as instalments over a period of three years as follows:

The first payment is 55% of the broadcasting revenue which every club receives after the equal split; the second season is 45% and then 30% in the third season after relegation, respectively.

That probably works out at about £200m over 4 years - one season in the Premier League & 3 years in the Championship.

No wonder the relegated clubs retain their top players and return quickly to the Premier League with that revenue stream.

So where does that leave the likes of The Rams competing for new players with that amount of money?

11 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

The Premier League Prize money table was announced at the weekend and it ranged from Manchester City banking £143.4m for finishing top.

The three relegated clubs received the following: Sheffield Utd (20th) £102.2m; Burnley (19th) £104.3m & Luton (18th) 106.5m, respectively. Forest, for finishing 4th from bottom, receiving £108.7m.

The total prize & TV money distributed to the 20 clubs was £2.455 billion = an average of £122.75m each.

The three relegated teams from the the Premier League will also receive parachute payments as instalments over a period of three years as follows:

The first payment is 55% of the broadcasting revenue which every club receives after the equal split; the second season is 45% and then 30% in the third season after relegation, respectively.

That probably works out at about £200m over 4 years - one season in the Premier League & 3 years in the Championship.

No wonder the relegated clubs retain their top players and return quickly to the Premier League with that revenue stream.

So where does that leave the likes of The Rams competing for new players with that amount of money?

Teams relegated after only one season in the Premier League only receive year one and two payments, nothing for year three.