Josh Windass

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, alram said:

agree completely youth and experience are vital. but we have experience. we need youth.

that is my issue about this whole thing. not that we are signing the odd 30+ year old, its that we have a squad full of them already and the game is so athletic nowadays. 

you are right they are FREE but they will also leave for free. i would rather pay more and invest in a player for 3-4 years that has the ability to grow with the club or earn the club good money.

We have 6 players who are 30+. Three of them will be backups (Forsyth, Barkhuizen, Washington), and only two of them are likely to start more often than not (Nelson and Mendez-Laing).

The other is Bradley, who was recently linked with a move to Charlton.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, alram said:

agree completely youth and experience are vital. but we have experience. we need youth.

that is my issue about this whole thing. not that we are signing the odd 30+ year old, its that we have a squad full of them already and the game is so athletic nowadays. 

you are right they are FREE but they will also leave for free. i would rather pay more and invest in a player for 3-4 years that has the ability to grow with the club or earn the club good money.

It’s the question of balance and the right blend, that and critically the capital outlay. I think we would all prefer that 24 year old who is ripening in to a top rated player and can blossom to full potential with us. It’s just not always that easy. Finding them and finding the money.

The good news is I think many clubs outside the parachute boys face the same dilemma. 

I’d add that with Hourihan Smith and Bird gone we are missing a lot of experience in the middle.

Edited by jono

18 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We have 6 players who are 30+. Three of them will be backups (Forsyth, Barkhuizen, Washington), and only two of them are likely to start more often than not (Nelson and Mendez-Laing).

The other is Bradley, who was recently linked with a move to Charlton.

how many between 21-25? which is the age of the squad that should be our core

4 hours ago, alram said:

how many between 21-25? which is the age of the squad that should be our core

That's an odd age range you've come up with. Only 4 Championship squads had an average age below 25 last season.

Peak years are 24-29, so this should be the core squad, and will be the age range for the majority of our signings. We already have 7 players in this range. 

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's an odd age range you've come up with. Only 4 Championship squads had an average age below 25 last season.

Peak years are 24-29, so this should be the core squad, and will be the age range for the majority of our signings. We already have 7 players in this range. 

You build squads with a core of 21-25 year olds. I’m not talking about average age, look at most promoted teams from this league they will have that core of key players that’s around that age

if a player is in their peak at 29 playing for a championship club with a small budget the chances are they are not going to take us where we want to go, we need players that can improve here and have their peak ahead of them

we have to build a squad that is capable of competing against parachute payment teams , we aren’t gonna do it signing 29 year olds “in their peak”

Edited by alram

17 minutes ago, alram said:

You build squads with a core of 21-25 year olds. I’m not talking about average age, look at most promoted teams from this league they will have that core of key players that’s around that age

if a player is in their peak at 29 playing for a championship club with a small budget the chances are they are not going to take us where we want to go, we need players that can improve here and have their peak ahead of them

we have to build a squad that is capable of competing against parachute payment teams , we aren’t gonna do it signing 29 year olds “in their peak”

Of the 18 players with the most squad appearances for Ipswich last season, only 5 were in that age range (and one was Chelseas loanee, Omari Hutchinson, whop was the only player under 23). 8 were 26-29 and 5 were 30 or over. They had balance. That's what we need.

48 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Of the 18 players with the most squad appearances for Ipswich last season, only 5 were in that age range (and one was Chelseas loanee, Omari Hutchinson, whop was the only player under 23). 8 were 26-29 and 5 were 30 or over. They had balance. That's what we need.

Alright Facty McFactface! 

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story 😄

13 hours ago, alram said:

And how are we going to do that without parachute money ?

Send your answers to messers Starmer and Sunak

34 minutes ago, jono said:

And how are we going to do that without parachute money ?

Send your answers to messers Starmer and Sunak

I think there are only 4 teams receiving parachute payments this season in the championship if that helps 

On 08/06/2024 at 08:36, Donny Ram said:

Looks highly likely he’s staying at Wednesdays after they have tabled a new deal to him, was on the local news up here saying the player and club have reached a deal.

Lovely work by the agent to drum up some pretend interest which probably bumped the value of his new deal up

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I think there are only 4 teams receiving parachute payments this season in the championship if that helps 

Plus one or two others like Stoke and Boro who can write of millions of pounds of debt every year. We just don't have that option so our recruitment will by necessity be different to these clubs. It's a challenge for sure.

It's been confirmed that Windass has rejected a contract at Wednesday and will be moving on. 

Rats off a sinking ship. First Vaulks to Oxford, now Windass. I assume Di'Shon Bernard moves on too. 

Not an ideal start for a club that ended the season in high spirits. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It's been confirmed that Windass has rejected a contract at Wednesday and will be moving on. 

Rats off a sinking ship. First Vaulks to Oxford, now Windass. I assume Di'Shon Bernard moves on too. 

Wonder what Rohl is thinking after signing his new contract? 

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Least they managed to get one rat in...

On 10/06/2024 at 18:22, Crewton said:

what about the other teams?

Warne I think said he had three lists. One with top championship players, one with players that were solid mid table players and then one lost which were good league 1 standard that could do a job in the championship. Surely this guy would be on the third list which would be a worry if we are already through list one and two.

13 hours ago, alram said:

what about the other teams?

Did a quick check on transfermarkt and sorted the squads by most minutes then looked at top 20 as a sample;

Leicester 23/24 top 20

30-37 years - 5 players

26-29 years - 7 players

20-25 years - 8 players

Highest being 28 year old Harry Winks, then their 26 year old cb Wout Faes, 23 year old GK Hermansen and 31 year old cb Vestergaard.

Southampton 23/24 top 20

30-37 years - 3 players

26-29 years - 8 players

20-25 years - 9 players

Highest being 27 year olds Walker-Peters and Adam Armstrong, then 28 year old Jan Bednarek and 22 year old Harwood-Bellis

Which again backs up the idea that there needs to be a blend of youth and experience in squads, yes we need to sign some players that are young and can develop but there’s also nothing wrong with signing some experience, robustness, and quality in “peak” age players.

2 hours ago, RamInSweden said:

Warne I think said he had three lists. One with top championship players, one with players that were solid mid table players and then one lost which were good league 1 standard that could do a job in the championship. Surely this guy would be on the third list which would be a worry if we are already through list one and two.

Those lists were based on which division we found ourselves in I believe for early planning so could switch to last list if not in the play offs , 2nd if in the play offs and top list if we got (and did) get promoted.