Eurovision 2024

Thought the set for the UK was great.  Song was decent enough. 

I watched with the kids and think the routine went beyond fun and camp into unnecessary indulgence that was slightly uncomfortable viewing.

His voice was weak too.

I thought France had the best song. The winner was catchy but slightly irritating,  can't see why it was such a runaway winner.

In some ways if it had been closer Israel or Ukraine would have won in a sympathy vote so in a bizarre twist at Eurovision,  music was the winner!

5 minutes ago, Alph said:

Olly Alexander has some good songs. Why was his voice so dodgy? 

I suspect that hanging upside down in some sort of elaborate rotating cube was hardly conducive to singing at your best. What were they thinking? Also the fact that the optical illusion thing only worked if it was filmed from a static camera filling the frame meant that it almost felt like you were watching a promotional video rather than a Eurovision performance. By the time they broke out at the end it was a bit late. 

The Swiss entry was very similar to ours in most ways. LGBTQ singer, elaborate and unique staging, just that it was a way catchier song and his vocals were in another league. A deserved winner

Croatia was catchy but in the end a novelty song about leaving home and selling your cow was never going to have the same emotional connection as a deeply personal song about confronting your non-binary identity and finally feeling free. 

Well done Nemo!

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I never watched any of it, nor heard a song, but I am off down to BetFred tomorrow to pick up my winnings for predicting it would be won by a bloke in a frock.

Bad luck old boy......the winner isn't a bloke (according to the person themselves).

Schoolboy error - I expected much more detailed knowledge from one living near Brighton.....😉

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I never watched any of it, nor heard a song, but I am off down to BetFred tomorrow to pick up my winnings for predicting it would be won by a bloke in a frock.

Damn, I lost. I didn't have you in the sweepstake as to who would be the first to make a transphobic joke 🤣 

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Nil points from the public vote across Europe. Deserved. Terrible staging. What were they thinking? 

That the rest of Europe has equally poor taste and will get taken in a feeble attempt to LGBTG shock a result.

It was absolute dog turd and deserves ridicule. Both song and performance.

58 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Damn, I lost. I didn't have you in the sweepstake as to who would be the first to make a transphobic joke 🤣 

I certainly wouldn't have had you down as someone to make the school, er, person error of mis-gendering someone, since the winner identifies as non-binary rather than Trans, I believe 😉

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I did. But like Gervais and Jimmy Carr, he/she/they doesn't really mean it, it's just irony.

But also like those two "funny men", there is always the worry that some of their audience/reactors actually enjoy the irony free version of the joke.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I did. But like Gervais and Jimmy Carr, he/she/they doesn't really mean it, it's just irony.

But also like those two "funny men", there is always the worry that some of their audience/reactors actually enjoy the irony free version of the joke.

Judging from the reactions I think someone did 🙄

Ireland was the best.

Switzerland was good. Can't help but think the prospect of a holiday in Zurich over Zagreb influenced some jury votes.

Croatia was most "Eurovision" of the good ones.

My favourite for hilarity was Finland.

The "crap song/more flesh" dynamic is kinda cheap.

France and Portugal best singing, along with Lithuania.

Kinda liked Spain and was surprised they finished so far down.

I assume the public vote for Israel was a lot of canvassing and sympathy votes because I thought their song was pretty forgettable.

Now, back in the campaganza box for a year.

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I assume the public vote for Israel was a lot of canvassing and sympathy votes because I thought their song was pretty forgettable.

Yeah, I mean fundamentally it was a really dull ballad. The fact it won the UK audience vote suggests more about the demographic of people in the UK voting than anything else.