24/25 Sky TV Coverage

As for blaming the clubs, they are only paying market rate for players. If Mbappe had turned up at the BBG in 1975 and demanded £500k a week they'd have taken him away in a straight jacket. But today some consider it a bargain.

Actually, football is one of the few businesses where the front line workers take the majority of the company revenue home with them. Neymar got his first pair of shoes from a landfill, Franck Ribery worked as a construction worker, Di Maria worked in a coal yard. They were all, in their prime, among the highest paid employees at their company.

I have no problem at all with these people taking large amounts of money off the likes of Murdoch, Glazers and Saudi princes.

16 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Eight million in the UK are watching sport streaming live already, this is the genie that Sky is trying to put back in the bottle. It's the equivalent of trying to stop people record music on cassettes (reference for the teenagers there).

https://dubsports.net/illegal-streaming-on-the-rise-for-premier-league/

They don't need to.  All they need is enough people who do not want buffering, random commentary, fear legal consequences etc.  The bottom of the market never subscribed - what they need is enough ordinary people who want an easy life (and little hassle) to pay.  They will, realistically, accept a certain percentage steam.  They will make token efforts to combat it - to deter people who would subscribe by creating risk, not to stop it.

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

Sky have just announced a new Sky Sports+ channel for next season, meaning that lg1 and lg2 clubs are guaranteed a minimum of 20 live games and Championship teams a minimum of 24 live games.

As one of the bigger draws in Championship, I'd expect Derby to be on TV closer to 30 times.

1 hour ago, secretsquirrel said:

I think Sky are planning to make Thursday evening a regular live game in this deal

And the knock-on effect on this is even more Saturday games moved to Sunday (even when not on TV) to give players recovery time from that Thursday game.

I expect to see around 35 games moved from their original kick-off time next season. 

Just now, therealhantsram said:

As one of the bigger draws in Championship, I'd expect Derby to be on TV closer to 30 times.

And the knock-on effect on this is even more Saturday games moved to Sunday (even when not on TV) to give players recovery time from that Thursday game.

I expect to see around 35 games moved from their original kick-off time next season. 

Then it will be on TV.

Any games not covered by 3pm Saturday rule are being broadcast.

I think my argument about TV subscription is just how many people actually want the service sky offer Vs how many just want the bits they're interested in.

People want their entertainment all la carte and not set menu especially if they're paying for it and these days it's a realistic expectation.

I don't want to watch however many championship, league 1 and league 2 matches, I just want to watch DCFC, and I highly doubt high numbers are subscribing to sky to watch EFL matches anyway. So why do sky pay the EFL for the rights? Stop anyone else having them,steer the ones who do subscribe towards the matches it's profitable for sky to show.

36 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I don't think that there'll be that many moved, out of about 30 games to be shown live, I think that all the non Saturday 3pm games will be covered including around 9 midweek fixtures and 4 or 5 bank holiday matches at Xmas and Easter, together with the first and last games of the season. 

So that'll make around 10 to 14 fixtures to be changed, depending on how much a draw we turn out to be.

27 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think my argument about TV subscription is just how many people actually want the service sky offer Vs how many just want the bits they're interested in.

People want their entertainment all la carte and not set menu especially if they're paying for it and these days it's a realistic expectation.

I don't want to watch however many championship, league 1 and league 2 matches, I just want to watch DCFC, and I highly doubt high numbers are subscribing to sky to watch EFL matches anyway. So why do sky pay the EFL for the rights? Stop anyone else having them,steer the ones who do subscribe towards the matches it's profitable for sky to show.

You offer a bundle which includes: SKY Sports but also crucially Sky Broadband, Sky home insurance, Sky mobile etc, and the base TV package (which is Sky TVs greatest driver of profit) The sport element has made a loss for Sky every year in it's history, but by bundling lots of other things in to the package the sports budget (and formally, but less so now Movies) becomes negligible overall but it drives all the other subs.  Few people subscribe without wanting Sport or Movies.

What they are doing here is trying to get a percentage of the EFL fan market to subscribe.  The individual matches will make eye watering losses but are designed to drive enough people to subscribe to enough "extras" to make it worth it.  You need lots of add on products to make this model work, which is what makes the numbers appear uneconomic and yet they are highly successful.  

15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

How many people watch matches on RamsTV now?. Anyone know?.

Obviously it will vary a lot.

I don't know.  Probably when shown in UK, lots for away games and a fraction for home games.

I recall during the pandemic it was about 1/3rd of normal attendance was watching (based on the company accounts).  Will be less the more people can attend games.  

3 hours ago, secretsquirrel said:

I think Sky are planning to make Thursday evening a regular live game in this deal

The worst night of the week imo, means alot will not attend the games.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

The opposite. Just stops RamsTV streaming to UK customers for non-Saturday 3pm games.

I suspect they will be stricter on Rams TV being viewed in the UK. They cannot do much to stop VPNs, but they can restrict UK registered credit and debit cards (as one of the numbers in the long PAN code denotes country of registration).  Quite a simple process to block on these grounds; no different in practice than not accepting American Express.  

10 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

I suspect they will be stricter on Rams TV being viewed in the UK. They cannot do much to stop VPNs, but they can restrict UK registered credit and debit cards (as one of the numbers in the long PAN code denotes country of registration).  Quite a simple process to block on these grounds; no different in practice than not accepting American Express.  

Would they really do that? My eldest is living overseas for the next year or so and still has a UK bank account/card. He can't be the only ex-pat in that situation

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

Would they really do that? My eldest is living overseas for the next year or so and still has a UK bank account/card. He can't be the only ex-pat in that situation

I think with Sky paying as much as they are they are going to want to have their monopoly on UK EFL.  The sums brought in from broadcasting abroad will be small, but worthwhile continuing.  However, a few losses to show "we are making sure no-one circumvents Sky" would probably be in the club's interest, if not UK fans overseas.