Pre season

9 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Fair point. He's doesn't really fit any shape that involves 3 at the back in my view, as he's not a natural fit in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1.

I do think that people are getting too transfixed on us ALWAYS playing 3/5 at the back this season though, there will be plenty of games where it's 4-3-3- or 4-2-3-1 (as was the case last season) where CBT does have a natural role in the team.

@Ghost of Clough how many times did we start as a back 4 last season?

Whoscored listed it as 26 games with 4 at the back (20 with 3 at the back)

Personally, I expect less variety this season, 3421 being the preferred formation, with 3412 and 442 being backup options

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Fair point. He's doesn't really fit any shape that involves 3 at the back in my view, as he's not a natural fit in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1.

I do think that people are getting too transfixed on us ALWAYS playing 3/5 at the back this season though, there will be plenty of games where it's 4-3-3- or 4-2-3-1 (as was the case last season) where CBT does have a natural role in the team.

@Ghost of Clough how many times did we start as a back 4 last season?

I think the games with 4 at the back was him recognising we didn’t have the personnel needed for the system of his choice. 

I guess we’ll play whatever formation suits the personnel we have in the building this week and next. . .

we will need to bed-in new recruits depending on individual fitness and data as they arrive.

I’m hoping that we get the core of new signings in before we kick off the season in earnest. Don’t want to be unable to play ‘how we want’ for too long, we saw last season how far behind that slow start put us. We were always playing catch-up! 

If it means staying up, I wouldn’t mind us playing counter- attack football. Don’t bother pressing high up the field . Two holding midfielders and attack on the break. To do this we would need 3 quick forwards . NML could be one + 2 others . McLaren , Rosenior and Cocu loved the possession game . For now , results are the only thing that matters.

11 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

If it means staying up, I wouldn’t mind us playing counter- attack football. Don’t bother pressing high up the field . Two holding midfielders and attack on the break. To do this we would need 3 quick forwards . NML could be one + 2 others . McLaren , Rosenior and Cocu loved the possession game . For now , results are the only thing that matters.

Most of the best goals I can remember from last season were on the break. Warne likes to break fast, that’s why he is trying to sign athletic players as he calls them. Problem is we often try to do both high press and also sit back and break, which seems to lead to a bit of confusion and leave big gaps in midfield.

Edited by RamInSweden

Im heading up there later too! Hopefully traffic wont be too bad! Looking forward to seeing how they set up but again im not that fussed if we get tonked again lol! Pre season is pre season! Ill judge the team after 10 league games! 🐏🐏

Nice day for it too ☀️😎

Up the Rams!! 🐏🐏

Edited by De22Ram

1 minute ago, De22Ram said:

Im heading up there later too! Hopefully traffic wont be too bad! Looking forward to seeing how they set up but again im not that fussed if we get tonked again lol! Pre season is pre season! Ill judge the team after 10 league games! 🐏🐏

Nice day for it too ☀️😎

Up the Rams!! 🐏🐏

Traffic should be fine in Barnsley. They don’t have cars up there yet, do they?

9 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Nice day for it too ☀️😎

Up the Rams!! 🐏🐏

I know it’s still “only” a preseason friendly but to get “tonked” would be quite a blow and a worry for me especially as PW has indicated that the remaining two friendlies are less about fitness and more about overall prep for the new season. I wouldn’t mind a draw (even 0:0) or even a narrow defeat but certainly not a heavy loss.

Don't forget it's 50mph virtually all the way north from J28 - just a brief respite where M1 joins M18.

They are building new laybyes, which apparently takes 15 months and 33 miles of cones to achieve! 

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I know it’s still “only” a preseason friendly but to get “tonked” would be quite a blow and a worry for me especially as PW has indicated that the remaining two friendlies are less about fitness and more about overall prep for the new season. I wouldn’t mind a draw (even 0:0) or even a narrow defeat but certainly not a heavy loss.

yeah kind of joking a little, I wouldn't want to see us get tonked but it is only pre season. Warne said a few times he'd rather friendlies be played behind closed doors. For this very reason I guess, all the speculation and panic when really its just about getting them match fit.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Don't forget it's 50mph virtually all the way north from J28 - just a brief respite where M1 joins M18.

They are building new laybyes, which apparently takes 15 months and 33 miles of cones to achieve! 

And I bet there won't be anyone working on them lol just a lot of cones! Im probably going to hit rush hour traffic too 🙈! Was thinking 4-4;30 set off,  hopefully get there 6 ish, park and a pint in the leisure centre!