How impressive is PW as a coach?

Posted (edited)

At the start of the season, I thought with the restrictions we had in place , that the play offs would be a good season, Warne thought differently and got the job done by getting us automatic promotion , as for coaching, defensive best in the EFL for goals conceded, scored from set pieces and defended set pieces the best I have seen a Derby team do for years, I have great belief that we are moving forwards as a club and a team, half way in the champ next season would be a good season, then lets build on it the season after, I enjoyed this season, and that is thanks to David Clowes for saving us and Paul Warne for getting us back to the championship . Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

14 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Oh come on, we wasn’t able to pay a fee for any players! You can’t tell me we were the big spenders

Nor can he tell you we had the highest wage budget. He is stating things for which the facts are not available yet seems to be trying to pass them off as fact.

54 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm not criticising Warne. I'm just suggesting that talk of a shoestring budget is nonsense. 

Also you said we couldn't pay fees. That is wrong. We couldnt pay million pound fees but we could pay fees. We eventually did pay fees.

I'm not criticising Warne. I'm just correcting 2 factual errors. 

It’s a thread about how impressive Warne has been - you can say you’re just being the forum fact-checker if you like, but it is pretty obvious why you are doing it

58 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm not criticising Warne. I'm just suggesting that talk of a shoestring budget is nonsense. 

Also you said we couldn't pay fees. That is wrong. We couldnt pay million pound fees but we could pay fees. We eventually did pay fees.

I'm not criticising Warne. I'm just correcting 2 factual errors. 

No you're not.

You have zero evidence to back up your wage bill claim. 

If you do please post it up and I will gladly apologise.

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It’s a thread about how impressive Warne has been - you can say you’re just being the forum fact-checker if you like, but it is pretty obvious why you are doing it

In quantifying how impressive you've used inaccuracies.

A) It's wasn't a shoestring budget.

B) We could pay fees. Not massive fees but we could and did.

I appreciate we are in a post truth world but really...

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

That’s an interesting view.  Ward got injured in the 3rd game of the season against Oxford, that’s why he wasn’t picked.  And he playing as a wing-back, his best position.  Wilson then played and by the time he was fit we’d also signed Nyambe and we’re playing with a back 4.

Ward isn’t any sort of back. But he’s one of our best players and we looked much better with him on the pitch. He had two catastrophic errors in defence and he was then out of the starting XI  (not even on the bench for one game iirc). (Back 3 or back 4 he’s in the starting line up imo).  So to get back to the post I was responding to, crediting Warne with improving Ward thru good coaching is a stretch. 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

In quantifying how impressive you've used inaccuracies.

A) It's wasn't a shoestring budget.

B) We could pay fees. Not massive fees but we could and did.

I appreciate we are in a post truth world but really...

Remember when you were getting funny with a poster for being needlessly rude in their response to you?

The point I’m trying to make is that his recruitment was impressive this season considering the restrictions he had on spending 

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

BTW the thread is 'How impressive is PW as a coach?'

Surely that is asking posters to discuss the level of impressiveness. So naturally you look at the pros and cons to evaluate. Or is that not allowed?

I'll ask you 2 questions.

1. Did we pay a fee for CBT?

2. Please compare and contrast our wage budget to other League One clubs and explain how it can be described as 'shoestring'.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Remember when you were getting funny with a poster for being needlessly rude in their response to you?

The point I’m trying to make is that his recruitment was impressive this season considering the restrictions he had on spending 

I haven't been rude

I have merely questioned 2 items which I suggest are inaccurate.

The way you have worded your recent reply is less erroneous however could you explain how our budget is more restricted than other League One teams.

I'm merely trying to understand this particular strand of argument. 

We have got promoted, his team has shown resilience and mental toughness. There are several areas to praise, however I just don't see us as 'shoestring'

Edited by sage

2 minutes ago, sage said:

BTW the thread is 'How impressive is PW as a coach?'

Surely that is asking posters to discuss the level of impressiveness. So naturally you look at the pros and cons to evaluate. Or is that not allowed?

I'll ask you 2 questions.

1. Did we pay a fee for CBT?

2. Please compare and contrast our wage budget to other League One clubs and explain how it can be described as 'shoestring'.

It’s perfectly allowed Sage but you could try engaging with people in a less condescending, argumentative way? 

1. You already know what the answer to this is, and that is that we did. You’ll also know that we had to loan him first before making him permanent in the summer. Why did we have to do this?

2. Is this a GCSE English mock question or are you genuinely wanting to have a debate with me on the use of the term ‘shoestring’? 

I think the answer really is that you want to argue with me over that word because you can’t seem to admit that Warne did a good job on the recruitment side of things considering the financial restrictions. 

Do you think that the job he did recruitment wise was unimpressive? 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

The way you have worded your recent reply is less erroneous however could you explain how our budget is more restricted than other League One teams.

We have been having to operate under financial restrictions for the last two seasons that the likes of Ipswich, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Bolton, Charlton, etc have not

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

It’s perfectly allowed Sage but you could try engaging with people in a less condescending, argumentative way? 

1. You already know what the answer to this is, and that is that we did. You’ll also know that we had to loan him first before making him permanent in the summer. Why did we have to do this?

2. Is this a GCSE English mock question or are you genuinely wanting to have a debate with me on the use of the term ‘shoestring’? 

I think the answer really is that you want to argue with me over that word because you can’t seem to admit that Warne did a good job on the recruitment side of things considering the financial restrictions. 

Do you think that the job he did recruitment wise was unimpressive? 

You used the term 'shoestring' as a way to praise the recruitment. If we weren't on a 'shoestring' budget then it shouldn't be used as a method of praise.

Some of the recruitment was excellent. Nelson, Nyambe and Adams. Some of it was poor such as Washington.

The rest were in-between.

My main criticism of one aspect of recruitment is we signed too many players who were injured, unfit or hadn't played much recently.

My main praise would be identifying and rectifying weaknesses during the season with Nyambe, Adams and Gayle.

There is plenty to praise without erroneous equivalences.

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

We have been having to operate under financial restrictions for the last two seasons that the likes of Ipswich, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Bolton, Charlton, etc have not

I believe we were talking about the season just gone. Our restrictions were self imposed and agreed by EFL.

Obviously we couldn't go crazy, but we put the plan together.

We had a very competitive wage budget and could play small fees. That was announced at the start of the season. We chose to use our budget on frees and loans so eventually there was little to none transfer fee money left.

This is all well documented.

DC himself said 'we have a very competitive budget'.

Maybe I misheard and we had a very competitive budgie in which case I would agree, he was going cheep.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Crewton said:

Fortunately, we beat 22 League 1 clubs in the only metric that matters.

And yet, here we are again having a debate about Warne's coaching ability one week after those scenes against Carlisle......

In all fairness what i have read so far, is people are giving warne credit for doing a job that we was brought into do. Then also just saying to see how good he achually is, is if he can do the next step too many people are just to fast to jump down peoples throats on here! We are all derby all want him to do well but alot of the games our proformances have been questionable, even when we have won games 

Edited by Dcfcsr92
More

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

In all fairness what i have read so far, is people are giving warne credit for doing a job that we was brought into do. Then also just saying to see how good he achually is, is if he can do the next step too many people are just to fast to jump down peoples throats on here! We are all derby all want him to do well but alot of the games our proformances have been questionable, even when we have won games 

The few bits of the championship I've seen recently the pace seems quite a bit faster - both in speed of passing and movement off the ball.

We'll have to adapt or I think we'll struggle as is.

Looking forward to seeing how we'll approach things.

7 hours ago, sage said:

I believe we were talking about the season just gone. Our restrictions were self imposed and agreed by EFL.

Obviously we couldn't go crazy, but we put the plan together.

We had a very competitive wage budget and could play small fees. That was announced at the start of the season. We chose to use our budget on frees and loans so eventually there was little to none transfer fee money left.

This is all well documented.

DC himself said 'we have a very competitive budget'.

Maybe I misheard and we had a very competitive budgie in which case I would agree, he was going cheep.

Some people keep banging on about our restrictions being self imposed which, of course, they were but do you not think the club had some kind of steer from the EFL or at the very least had an idea of what might be acceptable? I don’t think the club were completely free to set whatever level of restrictions they wanted knowing they’d be approved regardless.