Retained List

Id try and keep most of the promotion team and add to it. Make adams permanent is a must. Maybe assess where players like hourihane are, i know hes on a fair wage but at the end of the day hes rated by the team and maybe a good rotation player ( still got some quality but legs have gone) 

On 08/05/2024 at 09:37, BatRam said:

Id try and keep most of the promotion team and add to it. Make adams permanent is a must. Maybe assess where players like hourihane are, i know hes on a fair wage but at the end of the day hes rated by the team and maybe a good rotation player ( still got some quality but legs have gone) 

I thought Hourihane was full time coaching at Villa next season...

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

IMG_4281.thumb.jpeg.69a01a28a18b3e5b4288402fb7657159.jpeg

good news 

Is he highly rated? I know was training with first team in the summer and he had a few bench appearances since which would indicate he is. However, people who cover U21s rarely seem to mention him. 

Edited by Andrew3000

8 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Is he highly rated? I know was training with first team in the summer and he had a few bench appearances since which would indicate he is. However, people who cover U21s rarely seem to mention him. 

Been injured I think a fair bit this season. Sure those who go like @angieramwill confirm

56 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

47 minutes ago, Srg said:

Been injured I think a fair bit this season. Sure those who go like @angieramwill confirm

Injury free for most of the season. Captains the U21s almost every game. When he hasn't played for them, it's typically due to being with the first team or with N.Ireland U21s.

I can see why Warne hasn't given him the chances I think he needs to continue his development - notably he tendency to pick up yellows. He should be loaned out to L2 next season.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Injury free for most of the season. Captains the U21s almost every game. When he hasn't played for them, it's typically due to being with the first team or with N.Ireland U21s.

I can see why Warne hasn't given him the chances I think he needs to continue his development - notably he tendency to pick up yellows. He should be loaned out to L2 next season.

Interesting. Sounds like he hasn't really kicked on this year, perhaps because, as you imply, he needs the challenge of a loan.  

Obviously as a captain, has good personal qualities and if we're offering a deal he clearly has some potential. 

What type of player is he, a defensive midfielder? 

3 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

Is he highly rated?

Think he is, mate. I think if Warne is already trying to get a deal locked in, that would suggest that he rates the lad, but as I've said in relation to Dajaune Brown, there's pre-season a couple of months down the line and that's when these lads will likely get their best chance to stake their 1st team claims. Obvious, but perhaps worth mentioning anyway, I'd also assume Darren will himself be seeking assurances that he has a future at the club. The fact both sides seem to be pursuing a deal is therefore an encouraging sign, IMO.

For the little it's worth, I'd like to see this lad given a chance with the men's team next season, even if it's just as a cup match alternate, likewise Brown. With some of the brighter young things, I feel like we need to use them, or lose them, but we do have to trust Warne and the academy coaches a little longer. The re-build seems to all intents, complete, so that removes one major impediment. The acid test will be this coming season. I think if our young players (and their parents) are not seeing of a credible development path to the first team, it won't bode well, but I retain faith for now, if only due to the big strides already made to restore the academy and re-build its roster.

On 06/05/2024 at 07:34, Crewton said:

That's a great way to lose any compensation we'd be due, though you aren't the first poster who's proposed the club should throw money away just to "get rid" of a player they don't rate.

When did I say I don’t rate him?

To ensure compensation wouldn’t we have to match his current contract?

All I’m saying is, if we gave him a daft contract when he first broke through at the time and his current role would be to compete at left-back… 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

When did I say I don’t rate him?

To ensure compensation wouldn’t we have to match his current contract?

All I’m saying is, if we gave him a daft contract when he first broke through at the time and his current role would be to compete at left-back… 

Well, you didn't make it clear that you rated him because you said he wasn't worth his current contract, without knowing what it is, hence my erroneous assumption.

He's not solely a LB/LWB anyway. We know he can play across the forward line - many would argue there's still a no.10 there - so I don't think downgrading his wages would do anything other than demotivate him.

9 minutes ago, Topram said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to get the retained list today 

The released list is an easy one to put together for PW. You've done a grand job but we, as a club, need to move on and I don't see you as part of that move.. thanks and goodbye and remember, I will text you to the ends of the earth.

Retained list? Different kettle of fish, IMO. Tell player X you want to keep him. Make appointment with his agent. Come to an agreement on wages OR fail to. Get contract signed or not. Will that happen so quickly? It could be that the negotiations have already taken place and the contract is there, rubber stamped, just needing a signature... but that may have been a dangerous game to play. Player Y gets told, we stay in L1 we'll offer you so much a week. However, if we go up, you're on the way out. Does that demoralise the player or motivate him to either persuade PW he was wrong OR to convince other clubs he's worth a punt? 

My guess is the retained list will be out towards the end of next week. Having said that, I lose more bets than I win 😉

11 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

The released list is an easy one to put together for PW. You've done a grand job but we, as a club, need to move on and I don't see you as part of that move.. thanks and goodbye and remember, I will text you to the ends of the earth.

Retained list? Different kettle of fish, IMO. Tell player X you want to keep him. Make appointment with his agent. Come to an agreement on wages OR fail to. Get contract signed or not. Will that happen so quickly? It could be that the negotiations have already taken place and the contract is there, rubber stamped, just needing a signature... but that may have been a dangerous game to play. Player Y gets told, we stay in L1 we'll offer you so much a week. However, if we go up, you're on the way out. Does that demoralise the player or motivate him to either persuade PW he was wrong OR to convince other clubs he's worth a punt? 

My guess is the retained list will be out towards the end of next week. Having said that, I lose more bets than I win 😉

Retained list will include "contracts offered" so doesn't need to be signed to come out. I would also imagine discussions will have taken place over the last couple of months.

I don't think the released list would be ideal for Warne either. There's going to be players who have triggered extension who he likely wouldn't ideally want to keep for a Championship team.

11 minutes ago, Srg said:

Retained list will include "contracts offered" so doesn't need to be signed to come out. I would also imagine discussions will have taken place over the last couple of months.

I don't think the released list would be ideal for Warne either. There's going to be players who have triggered extension who he likely wouldn't ideally want to keep for a Championship team.

If an extension is triggered, surely, those players are retained unless we pay them off or can sell them or get a loan deal. Until such a deal is struck they remain retained, don't they?