Wildsmith

31 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Come on Big Trav , you must know something???

Been in talks for months, could be the reason we’ve been linked with goalkeepers? We are definitely interested in the Rotherham keeper but pretty much every championship club is 

Part of me wants to see how good Wildsmith is without Cash and Nels in front of him? Undoubtedly part of his Golden Glove award is theirs. Expect he moves on unless he’s ends up as one of our top earners on a 3yr contact. 

Posted (edited)

He’s a great reaction saver. 
He’s good at crosses and commanding to 10-12 yards out. 
He’s reasonably good at shots he has longer to think about. 
He’s mostly OKish with distribution, with the odd howler. 
He is rank awful at judging how quickly he can get to a ball ahead of an attacker at the edge of his area. 

All just my opinion of course, but I think with those qualities he’s definitely top end championship level. 

Edited by ck-
Typo

30 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Part of me wants to see how good Wildsmith is without Cash and Nels in front of him? Undoubtedly part of his Golden Glove award is theirs. Expect he moves on unless he’s ends up as one of our top earners on a 3yr contact. 

We saw a whole season without Nelson in front of him.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We saw a whole season without Nelson in front of him.

For Nels read Foz!

Joe has some great qualities but he’s far from the finished article. Does he continue his development with us in a solid defensive unit, or prefer a real fight for the shirt in the PL? I’d be genuinely interested to see how he’d get on.

Edited by DiggerB

19 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

For Nels read Foz!

Joe has some great qualities but he’s far from the finished article. Does he continue his development with us in a solid defensive unit, or prefer a real fight for the shirt in the PL? I’d be genuinely interested to see how he’d get on.

What about a Prem No3 like Scott Carson ?Hanging around like a lucky mascot . But with a shed-load of medals . 

39 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

What about a Prem No3 like Scott Carson ?Hanging around like a lucky mascot . But with a shed-load of medals . 

I’ve always thought Loach may fulfil a similar role to Carson in the dressing room, albeit there is no requirement for “homegrown” players in the EFL,  think? Just not as many medals or on 30k/week!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DiggerB said:

For Nels read Foz!

Haha, I love Fozzy but I wouldn't put him in the upper echelons of League One centre halves.

I think Wildsmith is a good goalkeeper, and we could do a lot worse than him. I also think we could do better if we wanted, but I'm not sure if I'd make it a priority. Whatever happens, he'll always be a Derby hero.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

11 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Haha, I love Fozzy but I wouldn't put him in the upper echelons of League One centre halves.

I think Wildsmith is a good goalkeeper, and we could do a lot worse than him. I also think we could do better if we wanted, but I'm not sure if I'd make it a priority. Whatever happens, he'll always be a Derby hero.

True, but Foz was still pretty good individually and with Cash alongside him.

At the risk of opening up another debate on XG..........

I actually like XG as a stat and over a season is a pretty good indicator of the chances created.

We had the lowest XG against in the division.

I think JW is a very decent keeper and I'd keep him - but the team in front of him shielded him more than any other team shielded their keeper.

22 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Every bit as good as Cashin and Nelson when he played CB this season. 

I wouldn’t necessarily put him quite at that level but then he doesn’t play CB on a regular basis. For me Cashin and Nelson were both far too good for League 1 and Fozzy, provided he had a regular run at playing that position, would a very good CB at League 1 level IMO.

On 10/05/2024 at 15:24, MadAmster said:

Can someone, anyone, post a link, a trustworthy one, that categorically states that JW has turned down an offer?

Think that got rumour got debunked.

18 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Think that got rumour got debunked.

Yet folk, all over social media, keep repeating it. Might be me but I've never seen a debunk of it, probably because it's only ever been a FB/X etc rumour that I've never taken seriously.

On 09/05/2024 at 20:48, DiggerB said:

I’ve always thought Loach may fulfil a similar role to Carson in the dressing room, albeit there is no requirement for “homegrown” players in the EFL,  think? Just not as many medals or on 30k/week!

I think Loach plays quite an important, yet under appreciated role at the club. He's at the stage of his career where he's thinking about life after retirement and is working his way through the coaching badges. This combined with his experience must be really helpful to the young keepers at the club.