Joe Wildsmith - signed for WBA

Bob Gnarly

I assume his agent talked up how in-demand English keepers were for Prem teams to fill their home grown players quota, only for said teams to start shuffling around players for stupid money to avoid FFP rules instead. Now the barrel is being scraped, but if he's happy earning decent money as a backup then fair play to him.

I thought he might go to Wrexham as a wild-card move, or back to Wednesday as first-choice. The Barnsley link was strange.

This certainly makes sense financially, but it seems odd given Palmer won the Golden Glove last season. Maybe he backs himself to get into the starting line-up. Or, as suggested elsewhere, Palmer may be moving onwards & upwards, which would leave a lovely slot open for Wildsmith.

His exit was somewhat mysterious. We may find out in the future why he left us, but I hope he does well either way!

I don't think he will earn a great deal going in as a back-up at West Brom, but I'm not sure he's going in as the cemented back-up. 

Alex Palmer did win the golden glove in the Championship but his comparative numbers, save percentage, goal prevention, etc, doesn't scream elite-level goalkeeper. It's decent, don't get me wrong, but comparatively speaking Wildsmith has competitive numbers and they're both similar goalkeepers.

The press release reads like he's been signed as backup, especially: “I’m delighted to welcome Joe to the club. We felt it was essential for Josh Griffiths to go out on loan this season and in Joe we have a really good goalkeeper coming in.'' which reads like he's only been signed so they can send a young keeper out on loan... Very strange 🤔

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/albion-sign-joe-wildsmith

On 09/07/2024 at 14:55, Gabby'sThighs said:

I thought he might go to Wrexham as a wild-card move, or back to Wednesday as first-choice. The Barnsley link was strange.

This certainly makes sense financially, but it seems odd given Palmer won the Golden Glove last season. Maybe he backs himself to get into the starting line-up. Or, as suggested elsewhere, Palmer may be moving onwards & upwards, which would leave a lovely slot open for Wildsmith.

His exit was somewhat mysterious. We may find out in the future why he left us, but I hope he does well either way!

Money.. end of

11 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Money.. end of

Well, money is certainly a factor, and I don't blame players for maximising their income.

I was thinking more about the alleged breakdown in relationship between Wildsmith and Warne & the coaching staff, and being dropped for Vickers mid-season.

4 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Well, money is certainly a factor, and I don't blame players for maximising their income.

I was thinking more about the alleged breakdown in relationship between Wildsmith and Warne & the coaching staff, and being dropped for Vickers mid-season.

*If* there was a breakdown here, it shows a poor attitude to criticism - the lapses in judgement against Oxford could have cost us dear.

12 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Says Bitcoin Billy 😂

😂🙌.. well played sir

I hope for his sake hes being paid at least half of his salary in bitcoin otherwise ….insert large lengthly ramble about inflation, a broken global monetary system and the value of the pound in your pocket 😉🤣🤣🙌

• 2 weeks later...