Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

I didn't witness any problems, even on that rather "cosy" concourse, unlike last season when there seemed to a few souped-up idiots hell-bent on starting a fight with anyone, even our own fans.

The phalanx of stewards by the corner flag were comical, staring at the Derby fans as if they were expecting it to crack off any moment. 

3 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

24,719 attendance with 1,339 away fans.

Are you suggesting 9,380 didn’t turn up 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, because that's what I was told as per other posts. No reason for the club exec to not tell the truth, and it was quite a long discussion about a related issue. Not just ST, but staff, comps, hospitality as well. Even some who had bought tickets for on the day. I was as surrprised as anyone. 

Just now, VulcanRam said:

They're the figures that were provided by someone at the club during a discussion, so yes. Lots of talk at the club earlier in the season about ST holders not attending. Not really a problem now.

A third didn't attend though? I know it was a Tuesday night but that sounds like a staggeringly high number and is almost too insane to believe. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

How on earth can you talk about the match without mentioning the manager? Do you say that when we've won! 😄

How on earth do some keep talking about the manger without mentioning the match or there not even being one for that matter , it’s the same old tripe over and over again and there’s a thread for it which used to be multiple threads for it ,

read my posts in match days lately and you will find I almost always keep it to the match and snippets of the day , they are kept pretty short and not 27 paragraphs of why I love warne and why I think he is the right fit for derby , or why I think he’s the right man to lead us to the prem and beyond and why I think he is great for our young players and why I love his interviews and why I love his dress sense ect ect ect ect , getting my drift ? I bet not,,,, yawn 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

A third didn't attend though? I know it was a Tuesday night but that sounds like a staggeringly high number and is almost too insane to believe. 

Which I guess is why it was the focus of discussion. I know the club was concerned early season, particularly around hospitality. I can't really say much more other than the numbers have been really good the last couple of months. 

16 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

They're the figures that were provided by someone at the club during a discussion, so yes. Lots of talk at the club earlier in the season about ST holders not attending. Not really a problem now.

That’s what you get when the season starts at the beginning of August during the School holidays.

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

How on earth do some keep talking about the manger without mentioning the match or there not even being one for that matter , it’s the same old tripe over and over again and there’s a thread for it which used to be multiple threads for it ,

read my posts in match days lately and you will find I almost always keep it to the match and snippets of the day , they are kept pretty short and not 27 paragraphs of why I love warne and why I think he is the right fit for derby , or why I think he’s the right man to lead us to the prem and beyond and why I think he is great for our young players and why I love his interviews and why I love his dress sense ect ect ect ect , getting my drift ? I bet not,,,, yawn 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think we should replace the match thread with a discussion on Paul Warne's pre and post game comments. That's what we all care about, the onfield action is just a subtext to the main event.

Anyway, Charlton next, I wonder what Warne will say pre-game?

Edited by ariotofmyown

7 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

The station is tiny and you were straight through the door onto the platform. They only started getting difficult with people when people were being difficult. The real problem was a lack of trains between 5.30 and 6, the busiest time at the station!

Yep, who’d have thought the majority of a 5k away crowd would catch the train to a game an hour away?

49 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not everyone agrees with you Archied….

That’s why the post started with the word personaly and was in answer to the opposite opinion being expressed ,, showing not everyone agrees with them 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Which I guess is why it was the focus of discussion. I know the club was concerned early season, particularly around hospitality. I can't really say much more other than the numbers have been really good the last couple of months. 

Fair enough.

I can imagine hospitality may not have been as popular as the club had hoped but those numbers must be relatively small.

7 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

That’s what you get when the season starts at the beginning of August during the School holidays.

For sure. Plus we're right in the mix of late so people are making more of an effort to go.

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

For sure. Plus we're right in the mix of late so people are making more of an effort to go.

But the football is appalling isn't it? People are fed up with Warneball aren't they? Season ticket sales will drop if we carry on like this won't they? 😀

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

But the football is appalling isn't it? People are fed up with Warneball aren't they? Season ticket sales will drop if we carry on like this won't they? 😀

Sometimes, sometimes, no 🙂 

55 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Couldn’t work out whether policing and stewarding was proportionate to risk of trouble ….or intimidatory.

For balance the second phase of Rams fans held outside the station main entrance (of which I was one) parted ways to enable a wheelchair user and a female Barnsley fan with her primary-aged son access into the station without any issue. There are a small number of d******** in every fan-base! We commented that the SYP presence generally seemed pretty OTT, and let’s face it they haven’t got a sparkling reputation themselves!

Same as last tear then? When they directed both sets of fans into each other on the same route away from the stadium? Dod we get any young crackheads turn up by train absolutely pie-eyed like last year?

7 minutes ago, NIGHTMARE said:

Should always go for a beer or some food after the game if travelling by train. Let the mouthy dick heads pretend to be hard gobbling off at rival fans and plod, cram into the first 3or4 trains, then you can relax on the later trains with access to the piss pot and seat . 

Or get your son to drive you 😉

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

To add some context, there have been some very low crowds this season - for the Northampton game there were only circa 14k home supporters in the stadium, and they are figures straight from someone at the club. The announced figures take into account all tickets sold/given away - including staff, ST holders, comps, corporate etc. Therefore technically it's impossible to have a "crowd" less that 22k, but that hasn't always translated into bums in seats.

I've missed two or three games this season but I'm still counted as being there.

As for yesterday, I thought it was a good day out until some moronic Derby fans tried to storm Barnsley station after the game. Reminded me why I drive to games.

I've been to every home league game this season and I've not seen any crowd less than circa 24k but mostly it's at least 26 to 27k.

I think your figures are incorrect for the reasons stated by others.

8 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I thought it was a close game, that was won by two good goals and agree with Warne that it should have been a draw. I was thinking before the match that this was probably our toughest fixture we have left to play.

Top of the league Portsmouth away ?

9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I've been to every home league game this season and I've not seen any crowd less than circa 24k but mostly it's at least 26 to 27k.

I think your figures are incorrect for the reasons stated by others.

Yep seems strange to me too ,, many games this season have shown as almost sell outs in the buying ticket section along with feeling pretty full yet attendance announced 26 to 27 k , assumed that was st holders not at game no longer counted as has been stated 🤷🏻‍♂️