Where do you think we'll finish this season?

7 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Warne says some of our players look “Gassed Out”. Let’s hope they don’t drop off as badly as last season . Only good thing is that Bolton are running out of steam as well. Barnsley will hope we draw with Bolton so they can nick that 2 nd place . 

In the 'where will we finish' thread, I predicted that we'd be 8th which may have been a tad pessimistic, but it was for precisely that reason - we've got a number of older players or players that have had injuries and it seems that Warne's all action, never stop running approach is too much for them - surely the manager has to recognise players that are struggling and take them out of the team....that's part of his job.

We probably can't miss the playoffs from where we sit currently but realistically if we're below Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough again to my mind we've not improved from last season. Pompey have improved but otherwise its the same league from last season where the runner way top 3 all got promoted. The 3 relegated to our league all had significant issues which made it difficult to expect them to be promotion challengers. 

2 hours ago, TheTinMan said:

We probably can't miss the playoffs from where we sit currently but realistically if we're below Bolton, Barnsley and Peterborough again to my mind we've not improved from last season. Pompey have improved but otherwise its the same league from last season where the runner way top 3 all got promoted. The 3 relegated to our league all had significant issues which made it difficult to expect them to be promotion challengers. 

I guess you could say we had significant issues which made it difficult to expect us to be promotion challengers (no points deduction but a hastily thrown together squad and unable to pay a fee for new players last season and in the summer) but we just missed out last season and should (unless we have a monumental collapse beyond anything we’ve seen before even at Derby) make the play offs this season. 

I don’t think we’ve improved either, we’re only in the mix for autos because (IMO) the top of the league isn’t as strong as last year. 

Unless we win every game (that ain’t going to happen), I reckon where we finish is no largely dependent on how many unexpected points the others drop. If we finish below all of Bolton, Barnsley and Posh then it will be a disappointment but will be largely forgotten if by some miracle we won the play offs. The only consolation is that none of those are taking the league by the scruff of the neck and all are probably beatable in the play offs. Sadly though, Derby look the most beatable at the moment.

edit: Just realised, we threw away a 7 point lead at this point last season so we’re more than capable of throwing away a 9 point lead.

Edited by Tamworthram

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

In the 'where will we finish' thread, I predicted that we'd be 8th which may have been a tad pessimistic, but it was for precisely that reason - we've got a number of older players or players that have had injuries and it seems that Warne's all action, never stop running approach is too much for them - surely the manager has to recognise players that are struggling and take them out of the team....that's part of his job.

👍 Well he didn't see that last season when he hadn't the opportunity to get them fit like he has this.

Might finish fourth. Maybe higher, that depends on how badly other teams choke.

Edited by RoyMac5

On 26/02/2024 at 23:55, Crewton said:

They've still got to play Pompey, Bolton, Stevenage and Blackpool. Theirs is slightly more difficult than ours I'd say.

Perhaps, but Barnsley's form seems to be improving, while ours is dipping. We can no longer rely on other teams fluffing their lines. Crunch time coming....

On 02/02/2024 at 16:29, LeedsCityRam said:

1. Bolton

2. Pompey

3. Peterborough

4. Derby

5. Barnsley

6. Oxford

Barnsley to beat us in the playoffs & a managerial change in May

Still 4th but Peterborough & Barnsley going in different directions 

1. Pompey

2. Bolton

3. Barnsley

4. Derby 

5. Peterborough 

6. Oxford

Still don't see us winning a 2 legged playoff semifinal.

33 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Still 4th but Peterborough & Barnsley going in different directions 

1. Pompey

2. Bolton

3. Barnsley

4. Derby 

5. Peterborough 

6. Oxford

Still don't see us winning a 2 legged playoff semifinal.

You need to look at Bolton's remaining fixtures before predicting them to finish 2nd. I'm hoping they beat Barnsley Tuesday night or a draw. Then if we beat them at Pride Park and match Bolton and Barnsley's results we could then keep hold of 2nd spot.

6 hours ago, eddielewis said:

Update after today's results 

Barnsley winning away has tipped the odds to them but it's still very tight

image.thumb.png.6ba68f5c8ca375f5422a19b0dceecacc.png

So according to this predicted list, Portsmouth are going to remain unbeaten in their last 10 games with Blackpool, Peterboro, Wycombe, Bolton and Lincoln to play away with home games against Burton, Barnsley, Derby, Shrewsbury and Wigan.

10 hours ago, plymouthram said:

So according to this predicted list, Portsmouth are going to remain unbeaten in their last 10 games with Blackpool, Peterboro, Wycombe, Bolton and Lincoln to play away with home games against Burton, Barnsley, Derby, Shrewsbury and Wigan.

This algorithm for the predicted table seems to play it very safe especially for the higher teams away from home. We are also predicted to go unbeaten but go with 1 win and 4 draws in the remaining away fixtures but considering the opposition we have I would say we better that. If we win against Bristol irrespective of the result between Barnsley/Bolton this coming tuesday I think this table will put us back into 2nd.

I miss the fivethirtyeight interactive website that recently got bought out by nbc in america and then shut down. They had predicted tables for every league in the world with percentages for every team of how likely they will finish.  

Draw would be my preference on Tuesday, followed by a Bolton win then Barnsley win. 

Barnsley’s fixtures are the nicest of the lot and they seem to be playing with a spring in their step. 

To finish on 93 points we need 8 wins out of 10, think 90 points wouldn’t be enough. Gonna be tough.

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Draw would be my preference on Tuesday, followed by a Bolton win then Barnsley win. 

Barnsley’s fixtures are the nicest of the lot and they seem to be playing with a spring in their step. 

To finish on 93 points we need 8 wins out of 10, think 90 points wouldn’t be enough. Gonna be tough.

Not bad for the "weakest league one in years" as people have been harping on about.

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

Not bad for the "weakest league one in years" as people have been harping on about.

It really is though. An open goal for us to get up . No Ipswich , Plymouth or Shef W in our league this season . Portsmouth finished 8th last season and are running away with it . Barnsley worry me as they finished 4 th last season . The team that finishes above them will get automatic.

18 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

It really is though. An open goal for us to get up . No Ipswich , Plymouth or Shef W in our league this season . Portsmouth finished 8th last season and are running away with it . Barnsley worry me as they finished 4 th last season . The team that finishes above them will get automatic.

So if the league is that weak this season, shouldn’t the team that finished fourth last season, Barnsley, be running away with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

25 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Portsmouth aren't running away with it and I don't quite get the point you are making about them finishing 8th last season. The year before last Plymouth finished 7th and Ipswich finished 11th, so what's your point?

It is a weaker league than last season without the teams promoted but it's still not an open goal. I haven't investigated all the signings each team has made but haven't Portsmouth, Bolton and Barnsley strengthened their squads (to a greater extent than we've been able to)?

29 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

So if the league is that weak this season, shouldn’t the team that finished fourth last season, Barnsley, be running away with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

No because they didn't deserve to finish anywhere near fourth (quite similar to this season)

2022-23-l1.png?w=860&h=947

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Portsmouth aren't running away with it and I don't quite get the point you are making about them finishing 8th last season. The year before last Plymouth finished 7th and Ipswich finished 11th, so what's your point?

It is a weaker league than last season without the teams promoted but it's still not an open goal. I haven't investigated all the signings each team has made but haven't Portsmouth, Bolton and Barnsley strengthened their squads (to a greater extent than we've been able to)?

To add further context to your point these have been the promoted teams the past 5 seasons prior to covid and their previous position. 

18/19 Luton 1st (league 2 promoted)  Barnsley 2nd (champ relegated) Charlton 3rd POW (6th)

17/18 Wigan 1st (champ relegated) Blackburn 2nd  (champ relegated)  Rotherham 4th POW (champ relegated) 

16/17 Sheff Utd 1st (11th) Bolton 2nd (champ relegated) Millwall 6th POW (4th)

15/16 Wigan 1st (champ relegated) Burton 2nd (league 2 promoted) Barnsley 6th POW (11th)

14/15 Bristol C 1st (13th) MK Dons (11th) Preston 4th POW (3rd)

So in all League 1 has no pattern for being harder or weaker and except for 17/18 there has not been more than 1 team coming down that has gained promotion immediately.