Finance

angieram

46 minutes ago, angieram said:

Which clubs do you go to, where the facilities have improved? My local teams have rubbish facilities that haven't been updated since the 1960s/70s. I see little evidence of money in Derbyshire and they are now being forced to compete with richer clubs who are full-time. It's a wonder they survive at all. 

Maybe clubs in more affluent areas? I don't know.

All over, we travel around notts and Derby. Our local club has just built multi million pound clubhouse, has a grant for thousands on pitch improvements for example, this is mostly at U18s admittedly.

Each council should be committed to building at least three 3G pitches in their area, with big grants available to do so. 

I would say maybe it's as much down to the people that run it, as to the money provided, you do have to put the work in to get your returns and it is harder as you go up the pyramid, because your doing it more to compete than what I call true grassroots.

Of course it's not perfect, but to say that sky for example has not contributed to the improvement of grassroots, imo is not true. There is more money available across the board, more entry levels, better facilities, especially for the younger ones.

Quick questions for the "finance" thread as I trawled through all 17 pages but couldn't find it - sorry if I missed it?

1. Do we know what our turnover has been in League One?
  2. Do we know what our wage bill is?
  3. Do we know what our losses have been (after DC stabilized the club, but not including his one-off payments to do that)?
  4. Do we know how much turnover rises next season as a result of being in the Championship?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Quick questions for the "finance" thread as I trawled through all 17 pages but couldn't find it - sorry if I missed it?

1. Do we know what our turnover has been in League One? NO
  2. Do we know what our wage bill is? NO
  3. Do we know what our losses have been (after DC stabilized the club, but not including his one-off payments to do that)? NO
  4. Do we know how much turnover rises next season as a result of being in the Championship? NO

Thanks!

Answers above.

6 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Sorry but that isn't true, grass roots football is thriving. Everything about it has improved over the past 10 years, the facilities, the format, the coaching, the availability to more getting involved, the girls side of it. 

Only thing that I can think off, is the weather, we need more facilities like the new Derby hub as the climate changes. Without investment from the likes of sky, that would never have happened.

I coach at grass roots level and you are seeing something very different to me.

43 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Answers above.

Aha! So it wasn't simply I couldn't find it in the thread. It seemed for years under Mel we didn't produce great accounts. Hopefully ours when they do come will be more transparent.

Thanks

On 24/05/2024 at 22:31, MaltRam said:

I see on the BBC that the yank who owns 45% of Crystal Palace, plus Lyon, Botofogo in Brazil and a Belgian club is selling his stake in Palace, and wanting to buy Everton...or a Championship club. No indication that there's any specific back-up Championship club in mind, let alone Derby.

Sounds like the sort of network that might open doors for whoever he takes over though. Maybe the sort of thing we need longer term...with all due respect to Mr Clowes, who has earnt the the right to pick our path whether he remains at the helm or sells or partners.

If he did end up going for a Champ club, being solvent, with our fan base and infrastructure, I'd think we'd be an option.

10 years ago those US billionaires all wanted a house by the water in Nantucket. Now they want a football club with players who swear all the time and fans who fight and pee on the pavement 

41 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

10 years ago those US billionaires all wanted a house by the water in Nantucket. Now they want a football club with players who swear all the time and fans who fight and pee on the pavement 

I am sure they still have the Nantucket estate aswell!

On 26/05/2024 at 09:28, Crewton said:

There are though very few ways of  owners pumping significant sums of money into the team from their own funds in the Championship unless they're aiming to breach annual FFP limits and give the EFL the finger from the relative safety of the Premier League.

Well first, wealthy owners can often attract lucrative sponsor deals which feed straight into FFP calculations. They can also fund academy expenditure, provide decent funding to the women’s team and fund stadium improvements all of which are currently underfunded at Derby. Over a sustained period that would make a big difference to the club and how everyone feels about it  - players and recruits included 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well first, wealthy owners can often attract lucrative sponsor deals which feed straight into FFP calculations. They can also fund academy expenditure, provide decent funding to the women’s team and fund stadium improvements all of which are currently underfunded at Derby. Over a sustained period that would make a big difference to the club and how everyone feels about it  - players and recruits included 

I won't argue about sponsorship, although you're being a bit disingenuous saying they can "attract" lucrative sponsorship deals, when what they actually do is get their own company or a related one to sponsor something to a level which makes other clubs cry "cheat".

I'm not convinced either by your claim about "underfunding" : the Academy clearly isn't underfunded because it's retained it's Cat.1 status; the stadium and pitch (eventually) look far better than they did in Administration and I believe it was Clowes decision to fully integrate the EweRams with the club as a whole which has required some spending. Clowes is also clearly committed to the development of the women's team because he's apparently there at most of the games.

18 hours ago, Returning ram said:

? Where, need something more to go on before I can comment.

Derby.

What do you need to comment?

We've had a season absolutely ravaged because of the weather

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Derby.

What do you need to comment?

We've had a season absolutely ravaged because of the weather

Sure I put exactly that in my post 🤨

Our games would have been the same, I looked for alternative venues, think we missed 5 in total...the club have also secured grants to improve drainage across all our grass pitches. We also looking into possibly getting 3G pitch.

i asked because its very difficult to comment without knowing what age group, league to be able to respond. 

23 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

1. Do we know what our turnover has been in League One?
  2. Do we know what our wage bill is?
  3. Do we know what our losses have been (after DC stabilized the club, but not including his one-off payments to do that)?
  4. Do we know how much turnover rises next season as a result of being in the Championship?

Thanks!

1) £20.4m (2022/23)

2). £17.2m total;  plus £1m for Stadium usage (2022/23).

3) No.  Latest accounts are eye of the storm and very hard to glean (due to write downs and non-compensated expenditure - i.e. the Academy); administration was £13m.  A fair picture will emerge in next accounts. 

4) £9m from TV.  Based on Season ticket sales and rises, a further £1m-£2m there (very roughly).  

Red Bull have just purchased a minority share in Leeds Utd , our long time rivals and I am sure think the same about us . Why Leeds , probably think they will get back to the Prem , shortly . Be nice to take 6 pts from them .

On 30/05/2024 at 13:18, jimtastic56 said:

Red Bull have just purchased a minority share in Leeds Utd , our long time rivals and I am sure think the same about us

We desperately need to attract some interest along these lines.
Just at the moment you may be flattering us by claiming  we’re Leeds’ rivals - all the more so after this announcement 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

We desperately need to attract some interest along these lines.
Just at the moment you may be flattering us by claiming  we’re Leeds’ rivals - all the more so after this announcement 

Whilst your right about attracting investment it has to be at the right time and now is not the right time. 

We’re newly promoted, we don’t have much resale value in the squad and considering the amount Clowes invested in the club there’s not much value for someone looking to invest, unless Clowes takes a hit and why would he want to do that ? 

Ipswich were purchased for 40m in 2021 in league 1 and Marcus Evans wrote off his loans in the process for a 5% stake in the new company. So the club was debt free. Only after it was pushing for promotion to the Premier league, had a serious amount of resale value in the squad and a progressive young manager did they get further investment to the tune of 105m for a 40% stake which represents brilliant business for the owners. 

It’s simply far too early for us, as much as we would like it to be so, it simply doesn’t stack up. We have to do the hard yards for a couple of seasons, get established in the championship and get some value on the pitch and then look to kick on. 

I know time is not on our side, the longer we’re in the championship the Premier league clubs get fatter and further away from us but it’s where we are in the process. 

1 hour ago, superfit said:

Whilst your right about attracting investment it has to be at the right time and now is not the right time. 

We’re newly promoted, we don’t have much resale value in the squad and considering the amount Clowes invested in the club there’s not much value for someone looking to invest, unless Clowes takes a hit and why would he want to do that ? 

Ipswich were purchased for 40m in 2021 in league 1 and Marcus Evans wrote off his loans in the process for a 5% stake in the new company. So the club was debt free. Only after it was pushing for promotion to the Premier league, had a serious amount of resale value in the squad and a progressive young manager did they get further investment to the tune of 105m for a 40% stake which represents brilliant business for the owners. 

It’s simply far too early for us, as much as we would like it to be so, it simply doesn’t stack up. We have to do the hard yards for a couple of seasons, get established in the championship and get some value on the pitch and then look to kick on. 

I know time is not on our side, the longer we’re in the championship the Premier league clubs get fatter and further away from us but it’s where we are in the process. 

Not sure I understand your logic here.

Now would be the perfect time for someone to invest as they are investing in the potential of our club.

Clowes may be taking a hit but would also be protecting his fortune from losses that any Championship club needs to make to get promoted from this division. 

If anything, now, or even last year, is the perfect time for attracting external investment.