Jake Young

Jimbo Ram

8 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Thing is Young is one of those we never buy though isn't he? We can all see he's got potential, someone else will sign him for cheap then punt him on to a Champ club for 3-5m in a couple of years.

Yep. Maybe this time we have learned our lessons. Lets hope so 

25 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

His obvious physicality is what impresses me. He's obviously at least 6' tall but is strong, quick and two footed. Get in quick Derby before someone like Peterborough or Brentford do 

Just watched the video properly and he does look strong and clearly has some ability. Be interesting to know how much they want. Also, would Warne want him and Smith? I don't know near enough to hazard a guess at which of the two would be best suited to our immediate needs, but I'd assume it'd be either / or not both?

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

Just watched the video properly and he does look strong and clearly has some ability. Be interesting to know how much they want. Also, would Warne want him and Smith? I don't know near enough to hazard a guess at which of the two would be best suited to our immediate needs, but I'd assume it'd be either / or not both?

Buy both Mark Lillis(Smith) and Phil Gee(Young) if you are old enough to get what I'm going on about Comrade

8 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Buy both Mark Lillis(Smith) and Phil Gee(Young) if you are old enough to get what I'm going on about Comrade

Mate, I've no idea, though I do remember Phil Gee. I thought this guy was a winger anyway, so perhaps these are signs I may be sleep deprived 😂 

I would have loved us to go for Dan Kemp and Jake Young after their great Swindon partnership this season, but sadly Kemp is now impossible having also played for MK Dons since his recall. Feel he's the better player, but the interesting thing is Bradford recalled Kemp but haven't played him, so the intention is obviously to sell.

I would be happy to make a move for Young if he's not yet out of our price range.

6 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Cox was offered Gee and Steve Bull by a scout who'd been looking for potential but couldn't afford both as he had brought in another striker.  I assume that would be Lillis then.

6 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Yep. Maybe this time we have learned our lessons. Lets hope so 

To be fair I can recall us bringing loads of youngsters McDonald Koblenz, Calero etc for minimal fees. None did a deal. a 200k or 100k here and thre isn't money well spent on potential when it's took weeks bartering over 100 k for their number 1 target.  When they have more cash to spend OK.  At the minute a 200 k gamble in this league equates to a 2 million gamble in the funds we seem to have at our disposal in real terms.

He was bombed out of Bradford at the start of the year for not being good enough, went on loan to Swindon where he scored a lot of goals (through purple patches, it must be said, as he went on goalless runs too) now back at Bradford and not really in their plans. They’re obviously hoping to cash in on him on the back of his loan spell and don’t hold him in high regard.

Buyer beware, would be my advice. 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Cox was offered Gee and Steve Bull by a scout who'd been looking for potential but couldn't afford both as he had brought in another striker.  I assume that would be Lillis then.

Iirc, we didn't sign Lillis until the summer of 1986. Gee had already been at the club for almost a year by then, scoring regularly for the reserves and making his first team debut at the end of the 85/86 promotion season. Maybe that 'other' striker was Trevor Christie?

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Iirc, we didn't sign Lillis until the summer of 1986. Gee had already been at the club for almost a year by then, scoring regularly for the reserves and making his first team debut at the end of the 85/86 promotion season. Maybe that 'other' striker was Trevor Christie?

My recollection was that Cox signed Lillis intending to pair him with Bobby Davison. You may be right that we already had Gee on the books but all I was doing was drawing a comparison from history because the issue was whether we should sign both Smith and Young, so an experienced player and a young one to develop. As we know Lillis was intended to play but got injured so Gee took his place and played a big part in us getting promoted. So I think if we can we should sign both, particularly as Smith would probably be a loan

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

The striker in question was Dave Penney 

From the local paper:

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportlatest/24063171.derby-charlton-aware-bantams-fee-jake-young/

It says we've been following the striker and "are considering whether to table an offer after being made aware of the club’s evaluation of the 22-year-old."

And that they've rejected three bids so far, and are not happy about Simmo's comments after Carlisle failed to land him.