January Reinforcements

sage

10 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

It would be a loan so i guess we would only offer what we could afford.

As for a Warne type player, I think Ince got tarnished as a lazy player but he wasnt. His body language isnt always the best but you could also say that about NML

I’d have Ince back in a heart beat  just don’t see it at all unfortunately 

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I wonder if something changed last minute with our finances, perhaps since the release of our accounts?

The noises leading up to January, similar to last year, were that we would be strengthening across the pitch.  I am sure Leigh Curtis had provided some positive updates leading up to Jan.

Warne was talking again about how he doesn't need to sell the club to players, they want to join.

Clowes was saying Warne had funds to strengthen.

Bids had gone in for players, Warne was watching someone who had been recommended to him, the ones we want would be starters and not squad players, etc.

Brown went out on loan, which surely was done on the understanding someone was about to join, otherwise it is a strange decision.

So what has changed? Were we shopping in Harrods with a quid all along, have our targets decided to go elsewhere, or has the rug been pulled from under us?

Some of the budget would have been used on John-Jules and Nyambe. We also used a significant amount on Blackett-Taylor and we know there's enough left over for at least 1 other signing.

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Some of the budget would have been used on John-Jules and Nyambe. We also used a significant amount on Blackett-Taylor and we know there's enough left over for at least 1 other signing.

If we can loan them first and pay for the loan....

Ince must be on 20k a week at Watford. Would have him back in the ten role easily but don't suspect the Pride Park Pitch would help his game lol.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If we can loan them first and pay for the loan....

Ince must be on 20k a week at Watford. Would have him back in the ten role easily but don't suspect the Pride Park Pitch would help his game lol.

If Warne's perception of Waghorn's attitude didn't pass his character test, then Ince definitely won't.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If Warne's perception of Waghorn's attitude didn't pass his character test, then Ince definitely won't.

Did Warne say anything about his attitude perception, or was it more what he thought he could still do from a physical/ability standpoint? Genuine question, I don't remember.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Did Warne say anything about his attitude perception, or was it more what he thought he could still do from a physical/ability standpoint? Genuine question, I don't remember.

The first reason Warne gave was "ego"/attitude. Over time he decided to give different reasons - ranging from age, ability, squad size

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Your post said a striker rejected us, the information I’d heard/read was that we were outbid for a player. There’s a difference between a player rejecting Derby and his club rejecting our bid. 

I read he chose Pompey over us and Rotherham 😊

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Your post said a striker rejected us, the information I’d heard/read was that we were outbid for a player. There’s a difference between a player rejecting Derby and his club rejecting our bid. 

He chose Pompey over us because he likes the way they play. Interesting 🤔

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I read he chose Pompey over us and Rotherham 😊

Interesting, where did you read that? I heard Warne say on the radio we’d been outbid, and the general info on tweets I can see say words to the effect of Portsmouth beat Derby and Rotherham to his signature, which is again more about our ability to bid for the player than his willingness to join us, perhaps he did turn us down though 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Interesting, where did you read that? I heard Warne say on the radio we’d been outbid, and the general info on tweets I can see say words to the effect of Portsmouth beat Derby and Rotherham to his signature, which is again more about our ability to bid for the player than his willingness to join us, perhaps he did turn us down though 

He's also not a striker, which would make me think it isn't who Warne referred to in his post match.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He chose Pompey over us because he likes the way they play. Interesting 🤔

Had a look and found it, interesting indeed, taken from this article;

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-new-boy-on-why-fratton-park-is-perfect-for-fresh-career-challenge-after-rejecting-rotherham-and-derby-4497414

I loved my time at Wigan, I cannot thank everyone enough for what they’ve done for me there - but this is a new opportunity which I couldn’t turn down.

‘From speaking to the new manager about how he thinks I fit into this team, I feel my playing style suits Pompey. Not that I didn’t suit Wigan, but this is probably a better fit for me.

‘I’ve been watching the games while I’ve been waiting to get on my way, so I saw a bit of the Port Vale game and it’s a good fit.

‘It’s a massive decision leaving a club where I have been for so long, it had to be a right fit, but, looking at clubs that were interested and the current situation, this was perfect for me.

‘Rotherham and Derby were the names going round, but I sat down and looked at my options and I just think this was definitely the right fit.

Posting this will be like a red rag to some, I still don’t read that as he “rejected us”, saying Derby and Rotherham were the names going round sounds like hearsay and rumour which isn’t the same as “Derby put in a bid and I said no cause I don’t like their style”

Whatever happens, the teams around us have strengthened more than we have. Bolton have made 3 quality signings, similar to Pompey. Despite the fact we’ve signed CBT we have also lost our back up forward for the season. The midfield still isn’t right either and we’re one injury away from Cashin/Nelson/Collo and we are going to struggle. 

very similar to last January window unless we can pull a rabbit out of the hat. 

8 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Whatever happens, the teams around us have strengthened more than we have. Bolton have made 3 quality signings, similar to Pompey. Despite the fact we’ve signed CBT we have also lost our back up forward for the season. The midfield still isn’t right either and we’re one injury away from Cashin/Nelson/Collo and we are going to struggle. 

very similar to last January window unless we can pull a rabbit out of the hat. 

So what you're saying is, you have no info at the moment? Yikes.