January Reinforcements

sage

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That would mean 5 players this window...

LB - Roberts

CM - Arblaster (?)

RW - Olakigbe (?)

LW - Blackett-Taylor

CF - Smith

Blackett-Taylor and Smith will probably happen early this week. But the others may depend on players leaving first? Smith, maybe Sibley, etc...?

Indeed, five in without any departures would give us a heavy squad and wagebill.

Smith would be an obvious candidate to be moved on this window. Out of contract in the summer, plenty of competition for his position.

Other than that I’m not sure who’d be out the door. Maybe Ward, but he’s only been here six months.

Could we see Fornah leave on loan? He's only played 2 minutes in the last 6 league games. Wasn't even in the matchday squad for 3 of them, unused sub in another. Pulled off at half time against Bradford in the EFL trophy. Surely the end already for the boy?

5 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Could we see Fornah leave on loan? He's only played 2 minutes in the last 6 league games. Wasn't even in the matchday squad for 3 of them, unused sub in another. Pulled off at half time against Bradford in the EFL trophy. Surely the end already for the boy?

The end?? He's 24, with good L1 experience.

Some of our fans could do with losing that "bin him off" mentality - and if the manager is trying to offload him already, maybe the owner should remind him who's paying the bills?

8 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Has showed some good signs, warns said he’s also been ill. I do think he’s well good enough at this level and can prove useful for us later on in the season. Some players take longer to bed into a new club and system so I’d say it’s better to keep him around. 

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Some of our fans could do with losing that "bin him off" mentality - and if the manager is trying to offload him already, maybe the owner should remind him who's paying the bills?

Would you have said the same to Nigel Clough? He eventually got the club down to a budget similar to the one we're operating woth now, yet not all signings paid off, with some being moved on quickly.

Just looking back through some Nigel Clough signings which cost us money and how little they played for us before being 'binned'...

Dave Martin - £100k, 324 mins

Lee Hendrie - technically free as we traded him for Jordan Stewart, 440 mins

Chris Maguire - £400k, 329 mins

Tom Naylor - £100k, 735 mins

Michael Jacobs - £600k, 1811 mins (it feels harsh putting him in this list as he had 3 goals and 13 assists, 5 assists in a single game)

James O'Connor - undisclosed, 1440 mins

Kieron Freeman - undisclosed, 1371 mins

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Would you have said the same to Nigel Clough? He eventually got the club down to a budget similar to the one we're operating woth now, yet not all signings paid off, with some being moved on quickly.

Just looking back through some Nigel Clough signings which cost us money and how little they played for us before being 'binned'...

Michael Jacobs - £600k, 1811 mins (it feels harsh putting him in this list as he had 3 goals and 13 assists, 5 assists in a single game)

I thought O'Connor was one of the Jewell influx with Connolly, coutts et al?

Mind, it's a few years ago now.....🤔

25 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I doubt that's on Warne's mind to be honest. I think Fornah could do a job for us, certainly as a squad player and again I find myself wondering why as you say, so many fans have to go early on new signings. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yes, I did at the time (not to him directly unfortunately) as did many others. His treatment of Freeman, Jacobs and Maguire in particular were baffling, yet managed to have very respectable careers in the EFL (two of them even played for him at Sheff U). Jacobs got shown the door when he was in particularly good form, but at least we made a few bob on him.

Do you think Fornah is finished (which was the subject of the OP and my response, not Nigel Clough's idiosyncrasies)?

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I thought O'Connor was one of the Jewell influx with Connolly, coutts et al?

Mind, it's a few years ago now.....🤔

O'Connor and Coutts were 2012

Just now, Crewton said:

Yes, I did at the time (not to him directly unfortunately) as did many others. His treatment of Freeman, Jacobs and Maguire in particular were baffling, yet managed to have very respectable careers in the EFL (two of them even played for him at Sheff U). Jacobs got shown the door when he was in particularly good form, but at least we made a few bob on him.

Do you think Fornah is finished (which was the subject of the OP and my response, not Nigel Clough's idiosyncrasies)?

It looks like Warne plans on primarily using a 2 man midfield. Thompson is ahead of Fornah in the pecking order, and we also appear to want to sign another CM. For the rest of this season, that would mean Hourihane, Bird, Thompson and a new signing.

I'm struggling to see Fornah ever being more than a L1 player... maybe a Championship squad player at best. If we do get promoted this year, I woupd expect 2 new signings (unless we sign someone permanently this month) - both of which you'd be comfortable giving regualr starts. I don't see a place for Fornah.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

O'Connor and Coutts were 2012

It looks like Warne plans on primarily using a 2 man midfield. Thompson is ahead of Fornah in the pecking order, and we also appear to want to sign another CM. For the rest of this season, that would mean Hourihane, Bird, Thompson and a new signing.

I'm struggling to see Fornah ever being more than a L1 player... maybe a Championship squad player at best. If we do get promoted this year, I woupd expect 2 new signings (unless we sign someone permanently this month) - both of which you'd be comfortable giving regualr starts. I don't see a place for Fornah.

I'm a bit reticent about writing players off this early - who would have imagined that Adam Smith would play nearly 200 PL games after his loan spell with us? We're supposed to be signing young players and building their value, so I'd be disappointed if Warne had already decided that he was surplus to requirements (unless he's committed a major transgression). I know a player at 24 isn't particularly young, but he showed some early promise. If he doesn't fit Warne's requirements, I hope at least we're going to get a fee for him, however small. 

Personal opinions aside, I'm just making reference to the fact he's only played 2 minutes in the last 6 league games. He hasn't even been in the squad for 3 of them, with Thompson featuring in every first team game since his lengthy injury. Fornah on paper looks good, he's a good age, played the season previous in the league above...but he can't even get in the match day squad anymore. If I'm Warne and knew he was hardly going to play for whatever reason, I'd be looking to reinvest the wage cost in a player that will play.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Although it’s not being spoken about much yet I do believe that our promotion push could be seriously derailed if one of Nelson or Cash gets injured. With Fozzy injured then the only fall-back is Bradley !😳

Now, personally, if I had a choice of Fozzy playing in the centre vs Bradley then it’s Fozzy every time. That ignores the damage, of course, through losing him as our only proper and decent left back. 

Sorry, but the thought of relying on Bradley (our supposed summer transfer window marquee signing) next to Nelson or Cash makes me shudder…

It does sorta highlight how luck (via injuries) plays a massive part in promotion success or not… do we actually have any decent centre back prospects in the 21’s !!???

5 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Personal opinions aside, I'm just making reference to the fact he's only played 2 minutes in the last 6 league games. He hasn't even been in the squad for 3 of them, with Thompson featuring in every first team game since his lengthy injury. Fornah on paper looks good, he's a good age, played the season previous in the league above...but he can't even get in the match day squad anymore. If I'm Warne and knew he was hardly going to play for whatever reason, I'd be looking to reinvest the wage cost in a player that will play.

We'll have to see what happens with Fornah. We don't know why he's being sidelined so it's perhaps best not to speculate. Things will hopefully be clearer when the window shuts.