January Reinforcements

sage

4 hours ago, Oldben said:

Has the club revealed its transfer funds too soon.

It entered the bidding for Corey Blackett-Taylor but the £250k bid was rejected.

Did that send a signal to other clubs, they have a small transfer budget but its not worth us negotiating quality players release to them since the bid wasn't that high.

The pw seems to want us to focus on the loan extension for john-jules who has played 10 games for us and only scored 1 goal.

Are we now looking at free agents again who seem to be the wrong side of 30 and with little sell on value.

Pw has talked about older players running out of steam by the end of the season.

If collins got injured, we don't look like a side that would do well, given the injuries to the older players we currently have.

Agree with what you say . But how do Burton Albion manage to bring players in on a regular basis with crowds of 3,000 ?

27 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Just listened to the same clip and found a couple of points interesting. It was a wide player he went to see and a striker recommended to the club also played in the same game and did well, says other clubs are in the mix for them and can maybe offer more in terms of finances and playing time so we have to convince the clubs to loan to us. If it’s loan players that suggests prem or champ clubs right? 

Sounds like it could've been Wolves v Brentford. Olakigbe the wide player for Brentford and maybe Fraser the Wolves forward?

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

Sounds like it could've been Wolves v Brentford. Olakigbe the wide player for Brentford and maybe Fraser the Wolves forward?

I've had a look at the fixtures from Tuesday and it's all I can see.

Said he went to watch a winger and also a striker that has been recommended to him.

Only thing with it is Olakigbe came on in the 99th minute. If that didn't go to extra time he wouldn't have come on. Would Warne travel all the way to London to watch a player that he didn't know would start? I don't think so.

Plus he also said he wants players that are good enough and are first team ready now. Looking at that Fraser's stats, he's not had a loan spell anywhere? So essentially we'd be his first taste of proper football. Is that first team ready? I don't think so.

But I honestly can't see who else it could be 

33 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I wonder if it's the lad from Brentford - Olakigbe - came on in the first half of extra time in their cup game vs. Wolves.

I can't see it being a player who only came on for 20 minutes. I can't see a forward who played who we could be looking at either (see Caerphilly Ram's comments)

31 minutes ago, Dartmouth Ram said:

Doesn't sound like he went to see Moxon then. Wonder if it's a cheeky loan for Dobra with a permanent contract and the end of the season?

I hope not. Doesn't look ready to play higher than NL level.

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Just listened to the same clip and found a couple of points interesting. It was a wide player he went to see and a striker recommended to the club also played in the same game and did well, says other clubs are in the mix for them and can maybe offer more in terms of finances and playing time so we have to convince the clubs to loan to us. If it’s loan players that suggests prem or champ clubs right? 

You'd expect loans to be from a higher division. The only other option would be a "try before you buy" loan from L1/2, perhaps still with a loan fee. To be honest, I can't see many games where a winger and a forward were both playing and we'd be likely to sign them.

Jason Lokilo (Hull) played on the left wing and scored (can play on the left or right). On the fringes of their squad and mostly used as a sub. Young forwards Sellars-Fleming (Hull) and Donovan (Birmingham) both played - I'd be surprised if we wanted either of those though.

Wigan? McManaman and Jonny Smith started on the wings with Wyke upfront (replaced by Humphrys)

17 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Agree with what you say . But how do Burton Albion manage to bring players in on a regular basis with crowds of 3,000 ?

or...

We're keeping our powder dry. Why pay more than we need to for a player that's out of contract at the end of the season? 

When buying a house do you immediately go in at asking price?

and Burton fish in a different pool than we do - I don't think we've ever been both linked for the same player at the same time...

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I can't see it being a player who only came on for 20 minutes. I can't see a forward who played who we could be looking at either (see Caerphilly Ram's comments)

Looking at other fixtures I can't see anyone else fitting the bill. There had been a media link to us being interested in Olakigbe, so perhaps Warne was told he'd be involved, but due to how the match was going (Brentford defending a narrow lead for most of the match( he wasn't brought on until a little later when they needed a different attacking option.

The forward was recommended, Warne didn't say it was someone we were actively interested in. Fraser is a 6'2 striker with 2 goals in 107 first team minutes for Wolves. Possibly the sort of player that an agent or scout would recommend to us.

I'd definitely be interested in Wyke from Wigan, sure he's older and not the long term future. However, he was a massive handful against us in the home match and scored the goals to win it. 18 month contract, sees us through this season and next.

16 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

or...

We're keeping our powder dry. Why pay more than we need to for a player that's out of contract at the end of the season? 

When buying a house do you immediately go in at asking price?

and Burton fish in a different pool than we do - I don't think we've ever been both linked for the same player at the same time...

It could be that Hugill is nowhere near good enough to play for us . Let’s wait and see how many goals he gets. My point was - we get crowds of 25k and Burton get 3k . Shouldn’t we be getting much better players than them ?

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

It could be that Hugill is nowhere near good enough to play for us . Let’s wait and see how many goals he gets. My point was - we get crowds of 25k and Burton get 3k . Shouldn’t we be getting much better players than them ?

The table does suggest we're getting better players than them

1 minute ago, jimtastic56 said:

I'm not just being difficult here - do you not think the players we signed in the summer are not degrees better, at least on an individual basis?

Warne talked about a striker who is set to sign for another club today who he would have liked to sign if he can’t get his top targets. Only striker I can see it being is Will Goodwin who’s set to sign for Oxford who is going for 400k. We must have some decent funds if he’s the striker he was looking at.

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Warne talked about a striker who is set to sign for another club today who he would have liked to sign if he can’t get his top targets. Only striker I can see it being is Will Goodwin who’s set to sign for Oxford who is going for 400k. We must have some decent funds if he’s the striker he was looking at.

And only cost Cheltenham £20k last January window...when we we're faffing about with Springett and White who did barely nothing for us and are no longer at the club.

48 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Only thing with it is Olakigbe came on in the 99th minute. If that didn't go to extra time he wouldn't have come on. Would Warne travel all the way to London to watch a player that he didn't know would start? I don't think so.

Hope not - Brentford were away at Wolves  😉

16 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I mentioned him back on page 36:

On 10/01/2024 at 09:34, Ghost of Clough said:

One to keep an eye on is 21 year old forward Will Goodwin from Cheltenham. Struggled with injuries a bit early in the season, but him starting consistently has coincided with Cheltenham's upturn in results (starting with his assist against us). 6 goals and 2 assists in his last 11 games (836 mins). 

Scored and assisted for Torquay when we drew against them in the FA Cup last season as well.

image.thumb.png.9d09f8647d21ba30f9192efebe91cafb.png