Will Clowes patience soon run out?

old tray boy

10 hours ago, sage said:

No significant pressure if we don't finish top 6? 

How many season tickets do you think we will sell with another season of Warne and no top 6 finish.

Can't afford to sack him, will quickly become can't afford not to.

If we still intend selling Casin/Bird in January then that will fund it

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

That is such a bizarre take, and trying to play it off as 'I'm grateful...but' is the first step in rewriting history. 

We have NO idea what would have happened but we do know nobody was biting our hands off to take on this particular thankless task.

He then appointed a manager with 3 promotions and has backed him. 

You are anti-Warne, I get it...but there is only a small step or two before Clowes starts getting huge criticism if he doesn't sack him and that would sit massively uncomfortably with me.

I've just started a thread basically paraphrasing your thoughts.

That the focus seems now to have shifted onto DC regards why he made such a bad decision in the first place by recruiting Warne then his inability or unwillingness to rectify this mistake.

Sorry for the long post, I don’t post a lot but felt the need to add my feelings to this debate.

I have been patient and many of the group I go to home games with called Warne out a long time ago, one or two didn’t want him when he was appointed and saw him as a huge step down from Rosenior. I wanted Warne ahead of Rosenior to get out of League One whereas others were looking at the development of the club as a whole.

initially Warne looked a good appointment to me, we started to score, and win, away, went on a good run and even briefly looked like we could trouble the top two. But we fell away disappointingly at the end and not to make the play offs was poor.

I wanted to give Warne, and Clowes, time and let Warne build his own team. The anti Warnes in our group see his recruitment as terrible and our best players as the players that were here before Warne arrived. I think some of that is harsh, I like Nelson, Nyambe, Wilson and Fornah and can see why he signed Bradley and Ward.

But his big issue, as he talks about himself endlessly, is scoring goals. He said this week that the top teams in League One have the best strikers. He talks about improving our finishing. This is where his words and actions don’t match for me. Clearly our results last season were built on McGoldrick’s goals. He hasn’t been replaced. Warne has signed Washington and Waghorn. Neither are going to score enough goals for me. Collins has already proved he won’t. John-Jules is injured and unproven. We are unlikely to be able to solve this in January.

In my view Warne sets up the game randomly with chances at both ends, therefore it is unsurprising to me, with this squad, that our results are mixed. We will get good and bad results on small margins, something Warne says a lot himself. Doing this he will only succeed with one of the best strikers in League One and this season we don’t have one.

In conclusion, and I hate to do it, I too am joining the Warne out brigade. I have despaired at our changing managers far too regularly in recent years and wanted to give Warne as long as he needed to get it right. But we are in League One. Our worst ever seasons are 7th in the third tier, twice, one was last season. We’re currently looking like we’re not getting promotion, certainly not automatically.

My choice now would be a manager who can organise this squad into a team that can defend properly, control games and get clean sheets. We aren’t going to score a hatful of goals consistently so I believe this is our best chance of promotion this season.

I really hope the fans don’t turn on Clowes, he has lots of credit in the bank for me and is allowed to make a mistake without getting vilified for it. I just hope he sees the current issues early enough so we can still have a shot at promotion this season as the league looks weak to me and it may be our best opportunity to get out of it for some years.

10 minutes ago, AndyB said:

, one was last season. We’re currently looking like we’re not getting promotion, certainly not automatically.

My choice now would be a manager who can organise this squad into a team that can defend properly, control games and get clean sheets. We aren’t going to score a hatful of goals consistently so I believe this is our best chance of promotion this season.

Sounds like Billy Davies

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It's crystal clear to me that the players aren't happy. Something isn't right behind the scenes. Unhappy players coupled with unhappy fans means the manager has to go. Sorry but there is no other way forward. 

If it's that crystal why hasn't DC actioned this yet 

Our next game on Tuesday against another "lesser team" in Exeter could set the alarm bells...I'll be looking at the attendance, Exeter will not bring that many...500 maybe, A cold winters night, A Derby team struggling, A manager under pressure...it doesn't bode too well

12 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Sounds like Billy Davies

Even Billy Davies had Stevie Howard!

Do I want Billy Davies back, no way. Someone similar in football management ability but less divisive a character would be fine though.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You tell me Tyler, you tell me! 

I don't know it was a semi rhetorical question.

Just meant to provoke debate regards if it's that obvious PW is doing such an appalling job then why is he even in a job and what is DC seeing that others aren't?

18 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Our next game on Tuesday against another "lesser team" in Exeter could set the alarm bells...I'll be looking at the attendance, Exeter will not bring that many...500 maybe, A cold winters night, A Derby team struggling, A manager under pressure...it doesn't bode too well

I want him gone before Tuesday so we can try and get 3 points. A crucial 3 points. 

If Paul Warne has upset any of the players this season with his selections / tactics / calling out players who have had their heads turned etc . They know that all they have to do is drop the effort by 5% v Exeter on Tuesday. If we went behind the fans will let D C know what they think , and he would have to be very thick- skinned to ignore them.

Have to agree with a lot of comments on here. A victory over Exeter wouldn’t change my mind. Players like Cashin Bird Sibley Hourihane will leave as they won’t want to play for this dinosaur. The interviews he gives are beyond embarrassing as he says the same things ‘well if we scored in the 85th and the 87th then fans would be happy’ but we won’t be now Paul as you’ve sucked everything good out of this club. Attendances will plummet and rightly so. I’m glad the fans expressed how they felt telling Warne how dreadful the football is as it’s been going on for far too long. I don’t agree with arguing with Hourihane but Warne needs to realise how he can’t keep deflecting terrible results. I’m not a fan who cares too much about style of play but the tactic just to cross it is something you’d see on FIFA or football manager. Clowes must sack him now with the costs covered when Cashin leaves in January.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

That is such a bizarre take, and trying to play it off as 'I'm grateful...but' is the first step in rewriting history. 

We have NO idea what would have happened but we do know nobody was biting our hands off to take on this particular thankless task.

He then appointed a manager with 3 promotions and has backed him. 

You are anti-Warne, I get it...but there is only a small step or two before Clowes starts getting huge criticism if he doesn't sack him and that would sit massively uncomfortably with me.

I'm 100% not even remotely critical of what Clowes has done, I think he's been fantastic. I've mentioned elsewhere that on paper, his recruitment of Warne was a no-brainer so even if that does end badly, I'd not blame Clowes in the slightest. I also absolutely love the work Clowes is going to rebuild the image of the club, with the colours, the charity and community work, the direct engagement with fans etc. I can see why my post might have looked like "I'm grateful but.." but it honestly wasn't meant to be.

I agree we'd not know what would have happened if Clowes stepped in, or who might have ended up taking us over. My point was just that we did have other interested parties, including Ashley who was interested in taking us over until the end, but was frustrated with Quantuma. And I can't over emphasise how happy I am that we ended up with DC and not one of the other known parties.

47 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If it's that crystal why hasn't DC actioned this yet 

Maybe because he thinks Warne can work through it and get everyone back on side. 🤷

I know it's stating the obvious but, generally speaking (not always) it's usually a happier camp amongst the players and fans when the team are winning especially at home. Perhaps PW has convinced him that we'll turn turn corner before too long.

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't know it was a semi rhetorical question.

Just meant to provoke debate regards if it's that obvious PW is doing such an appalling job then why is he even in a job and what is DC seeing that others aren't?

Restricted by finance to sack or courage to act or he thinks we are doing OK. All three are worrying. 

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Maybe because he thinks Warne can work through it and get everyone back on side. 🤷

I know it's stating the obvious but, generally speaking (not always) it's usually a happier camp amongst the players and fans when the team are winning especially at home. Perhaps PW has convinced him that we'll turn turn corner before too long.

Fair comment but then that brings me back to my other point which is if that's the case then what does DC see that the malcontents on this forum don't?