Derby v Notts County (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

46 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Why? This should be a number one priority for this game. 

Absolute rot ,,, getting promoted is the number 1 priority and given that have started ok but are not clicking anywhere near the level  we fans or the manager want and expect then getting the first team squad out in a competitive match getting time together on the field and working on stuff is far far more important, let’s see if our young players are good enough to turn round a decimated academy and get some results flowing at that level first , minutes together on the pitch seemed to be very good for sibley with Wilson and will have given sibs good confidence and maybe the manager more confidence in sibs ,

first team squad and theyre performance s and results are the be all and end all of derby and warnes priorities at this point🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Not sure why we leave the likes of Bird on the pitch when he is spent and take off Barks when he is spent. If Bird is left on and flogged to get minutes into his legs why doesn’t the same apply to Barks? IMO, it’s daft, an injury waiting to happen 

Could be an age thing 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 hours ago, sage said:

I've said for years Sibley will end up at outside right. He loses the ball too much as a 10. He needs more space.  

I don’t disagree yet when he comes on in league games it is invariably on the left, even with Barkhuizen who otherwise plays exclusively on the left moving over to the right to accommodate it. It’s weird. His strength is in shooting and finishing rather than crossing so I’ve no idea why he wouldn’t be put on his ‘wrong’ side to cut in.

17 minutes ago, Archied said:

Absolute rot ,,, getting promoted is the number 1 priority and given that have started ok but are not clicking anywhere near the level  we fans or the manager want and expect then getting the first team squad out in a competitive match getting time together on the field and working on stuff is far far more important, let’s see if our young players are good enough to turn round a decimated academy and get some results flowing at that level first , minutes together on the pitch seemed to be very good for sibley with Wilson and will have given sibs good confidence and maybe the manager more confidence in sibs ,

first team squad and theyre performance s and results are the be all and end all of derby and warnes priorities at this point🤷🏻‍♂️

Why put them on the bench then? I’m sorry but these games are a little step up from academy games, which is why a load of U21s teams are playing in it. 

The only things we got out the game are confirming as a team we’re crap at finishing and that Sibley is our main goal threat and PW should have played him more when fit. 

This was a good result, still some frustrations though, namely not finishing chances. Could/should have been three or four up at half time and left the door wide open for Notts to get back into the game.

Sibley adds some clinical finishing & attacking ability, good to see him stake a claim for a starting place.

Bird, Barkhuizen, Hourihane, Kane Wilson all played well I thought. Carried the ball well, positive passing, looked a threat in attack.

Sonny Bradley - he looked pretty solid, probably his best performance so far. Long may it continue.

Collins - sweet baby Jesus, I want to like him but he's so frustrating. He could have had a hat-trick and blew his lines every time. I know he runs and works hard but surely giving someone else 5 games in his position is worth a try. Sibley? Washington? Brown?

41 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I don’t disagree yet when he comes on in league games it is invariably on the left, even with Barkhuizen who otherwise plays exclusively on the left moving over to the right to accommodate it. It’s weird. His strength is in shooting and finishing rather than crossing so I’ve no idea why he wouldn’t be put on his ‘wrong’ side to cut in.

I would agree te Sibley, he's a shooter not a crosser. However, Barkhuizen plays on the left to accommodate others who can't. He is best on the right. 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm confused. We generally, and particularly first half yesterday, played out from the back. Lovely to see much better football. Now, generally during our league games we don't do that we get long kicks from the keeper and long balls from particularly Cashin and Forsyth which nine times out of ten give the ball to the opposition. Anyone know why? I don't get it. 

Sonny Bradley Football Genius?

1 hour ago, Archied said:

So given promotion is priority and given we ‘ran out of players’ last season wouldn’t it have been better to test some of the youngsters? 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So given promotion is priority and given we ‘ran out of players’ last season wouldn’t it have been better to test some of the youngsters? 

No, we had over 3,100 fans that went to see us win at a local rivals ground, we won, sorry to disappoint you.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

The U21s don't play again for over 2 weeks. They have a league game just 2 days before our first team plays Wolves U21s in this cup competition.

This was a 2nd string Notts County side who also lost to Wolves U21s. This was the best possible opportunity to give meaningful minutes to a couple of our academy players, which they could then carry that confidence through to the U21 games. It would also give the rest of the U21 squad a sign that they will be given a go in the first team if they perform well.

What sort of message do you think it gives when you say they would have had a few minutes at 2-0, but it was too risky at 2-1?

9 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

No, we had over 3,100 fans that went to see us win at a local rivals ground, we won, sorry to disappoint you.

I'll repeat: This was a 2nd string Notts County side who also lost to Wolves U21s.

You're suggesting a mixture of our 1st team squad and a couple of academy players would do worse than Wolves' U21 side?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

You’re assuming our youngsters in amongst experienced teammates wouldn’t have won then. So sorry you have to think that of them.

I’m assuming nothing, you are. The manager made the decisions and got the result, which is what most of us wanted.

So if we brought on the youngsters and conceded two late goals you would be praising Warne, right.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

The U21s don't play again for over 2 weeks. They have a league game just 2 days before our first team plays Wolves U21s in this cup competition.

This was a 2nd string Notts County side who also lost to Wolves U21s. This was the best possible opportunity to give meaningful minutes to a couple of our academy players, which they could then carry that confidence through to the U21 games. It would also give the rest of the U21 squad a sign that they will be given a go in the first team if they perform well.

What sort of message do you think it gives when you say they would have had a few minutes at 2-0, but it was too risky at 2-1?

Exactly this. 

But beating Notts County’s second team was more important than the academy and trying to reward the players that are showing potential. 

Let’s give Collins another 90 minutes against Wolves U21s just to see if he can find his shooting boots 🤣🤣