Cricket World Cup 2023

Not sure if this warrants it's own thread, admins do your thing if this is some sort of duplicate.

The ICC Cricket World Cup kicks off today. First up is England v New  Zealand in a re-run of the 2019 final.

Seems like a pretty open tournament this time around, probably a few different teams that really feel like they can win it. Conditions probably favour the local sides, but with so many players in the IPL and PSL playing out there it might negate that somewhat.

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

Get? Getting more like

Tbf, they were only on thirty a piece at the time of the post! It did get real ugly, real quick though and I concede one could see it coming.

Not sure why we've become so inconsistent, but I do miss Eoin Morgan. I think sometimes we've looked a tad rudderless since he retired. That said, fair play to the Kiwis. They've taken some fearful kickings off us over the last few of years, but they're all over us in recent encounters and there's no fluke about it. By contrast, we look off it and laboured.

Slow to acclimatise maybe? They'll need to liven themselves up, whatever it is.

4 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Tbf, they were only on thirty a piece at the time of the post! It did get real ugly, real quick though and I concede one could see it coming.

Not sure why we've become so inconsistent, but I do miss Eoin Morgan. I think sometimes we've looked a tad rudderless since he retired. That said, fair play to the Kiwis. They've taken some fearful kickings off us over the last few of years, but they're all over us in recent encounters and there's no fluke about it. By contrast, we look off it and laboured.

Slow to acclimatise maybe? They'll need to liven themselves up, whatever it is.

Agree with all of that 👍🏼 

The worrying thing for me is that despite putting on 270 runs we didn't have one chance in all of that. They never looked anywhere near worried - I think we reviewed one appeal and it was clearly missing. Either they are a class above or our bowling has no plan B - likely a bit of both tbh.

4 hours ago, BOB BIGGS said:

The ECB backed the dreaded 100 at the expense of the 50 over game. That’s left many of our players with little current experience of playing this format. 

Well done the ECB😎

This.

How much 50-over cricket has any of them played in the last couple of years?

How much 50-over cricket have Brook and Livingstone ever played?

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

None of the team played in the one day cup this season.

Ah, so there's a reason we so underbaked. Finding form at a World Cup not the best idea really, though did we not have an early reverse last time too, or have I misremembered? I note Stokes is out now too which, given his previous heroics, is a damn shame.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ah, so there's a reason we so underbaked. Finding form at a World Cup not the best idea really, though did we not have an early reverse last time too, or have I misremembered? I note Stokes is out now too which, given his previous heroics, is a damn shame.

I'm sure England lost some early games last time but last time they had prepared properly with a view to winning it in England.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm sure England lost some early games last time but last time they had prepared properly with a view to winning it in England.

It's a shame then, as for me, the one day international format is the best format after test cricket. The slugfest stuff can be fun, but is a hybrid form of cricket at best, so I don't tend to watch that save for the odd England game.