Cricket World Cup 2023

• 2 weeks later...

Occasionally (but not often), I'm almost lost for words.

Afghanistan made 291-5, and Australia, when Pat Cummins came to the wicket, were down and almost out at 91-7.

Glenn Maxwell started shakily, surviving an LBW review and an absolute dolly of a dropped catch when he suddenly went berzerk. He and Cummins knocked the runs off with 3 overs to spare. Cummins made 12*, whereas Maxwell went to his double century (201*), hitting 21 fours and 10 sixes. He dealt almost exclusively in boundaries in the latter half of his innings, because he was either suffering from cramp or a pulled muscle and could barely walk, let alone run.

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Afghanistan made 291-5, and Australia, when Pat Cummins came to the wicket, were down and almost out at 91-7.

Glenn Maxwell started shakily, surviving an LBW review and an absolute dolly of a dropped catch when he suddenly went berzerk. He and Cummins knocked the runs off with 3 overs to spare. Cummins made 12*, whereas Maxwell went to his double century (201*), hitting 21 fours and 10 sixes. He dealt almost exclusively in boundaries in the latter half of his innings, because he was either suffering from cramp or a pulled muscle and could barely walk, let alone run.

I watched the last 2 hours waiting for a convict loss, Maxwell had cramp by all accounts...never in all my years watching cricket have I seen a team put to the sword like that...Brutal it was.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

It was truly magnificent. He could hardly move and his partner made 12 out of a stand of 202. And I actually wanted him to succeed. That's how brilliant he was.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Much as I usually want Australia to lose at every sporting endeavour, I'm highly amused that India managed to lose this one.

Are they blaming the free Palestine guy for the loss?

Agreed 👏It was nice when the camaras were filming the hoi polloi in the comfy seats with long faces in the last few overs, This shouldn't have happened...but it did 😁 

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

What's caused so many folk to be happy to see the Indians beat. They seem to have put noses out of joint but is this just them wanting things their way as per, or something more? Seen nothing in the press.

Even though the World Cup was in India the ICC run the tournament and also say how the wickets should be prepared and which wickets should be used. For the semi final against New Zealand pitch 5 was selected by the ICC but India prepared and used pitch 6 which was a more used than pitch 5 and suited them better. I may have got the number of the pitches wrong but that was the essence of it 

• 3 weeks later...