Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Sorry, but the fact that the commentary in here is mostly negative is not because everyone collectively decided to be negative, it's because what we are seeing on the pitch is rubbish and it's being called out as such. 

I was really hopeful that the Blackpool game was a turning point, but here we are again. 

Don't be sorry 

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hourihane stated at the Fan Forum something along the lines of "adapt to what the manager wants or you're put of thr team".

It's reasonably possible that the players are too scared to actually pass to each other to retain the ball for extended periods of play. They may not want to risk being dropped for not getting the ball forward quick enough.

Too scared to pass to each other? Who are they playing for? Mike Tyson?

Every manager sets his team out with instructions and an intended style of play, but ultimately these players cross the white line and make their own decisions and do what they can. Warne doesn’t have a joystick which can ensure Waghorn heads it in or Collins buries it.

Do you really think Warne would drop a player if he is contributing to good results?

This forum though is supposed to be a forum where we chat about football …..none of us are doctors or psychiatrists so why bring up your medical history …everyone has a story !!.mine is as long as your arm!!!!  but let’s try and keep it to football opinions eh as any reactions can be misconstrued and seen as incorrect 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

This forum though is supposed to be a forum where we chat about football …..none of us are doctors or psychiatrists so why bring up your medical history …everyone has a story !!.mine is as long as your arm!!!!  but let’s try and keep it to football opinions eh as any reactions can be misconstrued and seen as incorrect 

Why not just attach that comment to me 

Didn't realise you were a moderater on here.

Think you're over reaching yourself.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Every manager sets his team out with instructions and an intended style of play, but ultimately these players cross the white line and make their own decisions and do what they can. Warne doesn’t have a joystick which can ensure Waghorn heads it in or Collins buries it.

Do you really think Warne would drop a player if he is contributing to good results?

I do get what is being implied here ….under Mac the plan was visible under PW less so and on days like today it’s more questionable 

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If Forsyth passes it sideways or backwards to Cashin everytime he's on the ball, do you not think Warne would drop him for not playing the way he wants?

Obviously, this is an extreme example, but there's a tipping point between how Warne wants them to play, and how they individually want to play

11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes. Barkhuizen in January. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Back from the match. On the booing, it seemed to come from some fans behind the goal. There was none near us on the side, Warne was walking across towards us but the minute he heard it he turned tail and went back towards the dugout. 

I don't think it was many, tbh, but I was a fair way from where it seemed to be coming from.

I was a bit disappointed with the team selection when we were back to two in midfield, after it worked so well at Blackpool.

Also Wilson out, he missed a couple of chances midweek, but he looked really creative, and just remind me how many goals has Mendez-Laing scored this season? Was pleased to see Barkhuizen get a well-deserved start, though. I'd have dropped ML. Where has that confident finishing from this time last season gone?

I don't think Collins and Waghorn work well together either, but that might be because I want to see a genuine number 10 in there instead.

I thought we worked hard, it was very warm. They got away with a lot of physical contact and a lot of play-acting. Fozzy particularly looked shattered at the end. 

I thought the whole team was lifted when Bird came on but would have liked to see him with Smith and Fornah, because it continued to leave us very vulnerable on the counter with just two in there. Yes, I know he made that mistake for their goal, but thought he was doing okay otherwise.

Bird just oozes class though, and was making such a difference. What a shame we then moved him to make room for Hourihane, who offered little. Would the goal have come if we didn't? Probably not.

Today there was lots of effort, little class (Bird and Barks apart) and a bit of confusion about where each other ought to be in the box. Should this keep happening so far into the season? Felt like a step backwards after Tuesday's promise.

Good summary hopefully when fully fit Barky and bird are in our squad week in week out for the full 90

RD interview was a concern.

Basically admitting that bypassing midfield was a deliberate tactic.

Pre-match, I listened to a Derby podcast on Spotify where they interviewed a Cheltenham blogger/podcaster/journo type who essentially said their problems this season are due to the fact that they are feeble in midfield and teams can walk through them.…..unless you choose not to.

I’m not a PW out advocate but have just about got to the point where I wouldn’t be bothered if we had a change.

As for the usual scapegoating of Collins by some - yes he could have hit the target at the end, he got a bit of a shinner on target from a cross, he was foiled by excellent brave keeping that smothered his on target shot and he was instrumental in creating the goal by winning a brilliant header against 3 defenders.