Hi tech toys you had as a kid

Bob The Badger

On 02/09/2023 at 21:27, GboroRam said:

10306_alt2_compress47.thumb.jpg.4b574338c613646f0455a273f807726a.jpg

Was looking at all the stuff we couldn't afford for me as a lad getting jealous, then I remembered I had this bad boy. 

Empire strikes back was the best! My mate had one, only trouble was that he was in boarding school except for when the schools were shut. 🫤

16 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

And to think, he also invented the C5!

image.png.69d81380300cd66f4fd96868b8c5e37e.png

He was kind of right though, no? How many scooters, e-bikes and the like do you see these days? In cities, they're everywhere. Thing is, they're supplemental, whereas Clive figured they'd be viable as a car replacement within metropolitan environments. I think that's where he got it wrong. Well, that and the fact that no bloke would want to be seen dead in one of those minging deathtraps. Needed to go old school with the design, I reckon...

image.thumb.png.4b38a6c3baf8a6a5fbd47315f61546f9.png

Edited by Comrade 86
typos

I got my electric bike over a decade ago and it has been a Godsend!

When my wife was in hospital for ten weeks I used it to visit every day rather than pay through the nose to park.

When Sir Clive invented the C5 I thought the concept was brilliant but that it would be suicide on public roads!

I said at the time that if he converted it to a bicycle or similar I’d be interested.

Sir Clive was treated like IKB (Brunel) who was also a genius but lacked the common sense to realise that:-

An atmospheric railway would be scuppered by rats!

You don’t build the world’s largest iron ship without first making sure you can get it in the Bristol Channel!

Both we’re ideas men who lacked business acumen leaving others to rake in the financial benefits.

And both were uniquely brilliant men!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Mechano kit and a spanner! Built a "working" crane.

My oldest lad wanted a Knex roller coaster kit for Christmas one year. It took me 14 hours to assemble it for him.

I told him if he pulled any parts off it I would take it all to bits and put it in the loft. It went in the loft 2 days later, I think it's still in there. ☹️images.jpeg.cfadd70b58605296461832b3a418696f.jpeg

On 05/09/2023 at 13:24, I have nothing to say said:

image.thumb.png.285001ff196383975e7d2b8a2328aa0f.png

For me it was this beast of a machine. 

Is that yours? Love those old home computers. My BBC Micro still works after nearly 40 years. Had new power supply fitted (they all do after so long) and still loads some of my disks (although quickly copied to memory card solution).

16 hours ago, TimRam said:

Is that yours? Love those old home computers. My BBC Micro still works after nearly 40 years. Had new power supply fitted (they all do after so long) and still loads some of my disks (although quickly copied to memory card solution).

Sadly no, generic Google picture. It is the one I had though but the years and house moves have consigned it to being long gone I'm afraid 

3 minutes ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

Spectrum 48k. If you were rich you had the 128k with a built in tape deck. Paperboy was the game to have on this system.

image.thumb.png.f99dd17ff06fdba17f98a10390b73431.png

I had a zx81 first, then a 48k Spectrum (as pictured), followed by a 128k Spectrum then an Amiga 500 before moving onto consoles and PCs.

The 48k Spectrum was the favourite of my retro gaming days - loads of great games for its time. 

Do you recall listening to the god awful screeching loading sound for 5 mins, all the way to the end of the loading time only for it to fail?  Then adjusting the tone/volume dials slightly hoping it would work the next time.  Happy days 😛