Why are our police forces still getting away with this crap?

Grumpy Git

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

It is an awful case but "still" = 20 years ago?

We can only hope that things have changed in that time.

They've known about the cover-up until recently tho. No fecker ever gets to take the rap either. It's just another case closed as far as they're concerned. Imagine being banged-up on the evidence of witnesses with dishonesty convictions! JFC.

55 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

This case from 2021 suggests there is still a long way to go to improve - and it's the same force 

https://news.sky.com/story/stripped-and-left-topless-in-a-cell-i-was-drugged-and-sexually-assaulted-by-greater-manchester-police-12924141

> Why are our police forces still getting away with this crap?

They're not getting away with it though. As these news reports demonstrate... they're being found out!

The way I look at this... You can see these reports as a negative. Or, as I prefer to do, as a positive. 

The fact this is being reported shows we still have a press and legal system that can expose wrong-doing by those in power and hold them to account.

Edited by therealhantsram

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Fortunately, that’s old news and the rules have been changed. It won’t make up for everything he’s been through but at least he won’t have to pay now. 

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

This case from 2021 suggests there is still a long way to go to improve - and it's the same force 

https://news.sky.com/story/stripped-and-left-topless-in-a-cell-i-was-drugged-and-sexually-assaulted-by-greater-manchester-police-12924141

3 hours of footage missing. That sums it up. Always missing footage when someone dies or is assaulted while in custody.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

3 hours of footage missing. That sums it up. Always missing footage when someone dies or is assaulted while in custody.

Indeed, you have to ask yourself what happened in those three hours if the other footage they have released is not worthy of deleting. Absolute scumbags, institutionally.

16 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Sadly the inquest into the handling of the Stephen Lawrence murder in the 90s and the recent inquest into the behaviour of the Met both concluded with very similar failings, showing that not much has changed in 30 years

Sadly the police force is one of those jobs that seems to encourage a lot of the worst people and it becomes institutionalised behaviour

I'm sure there are loads of really nice coppers, in the same way that there are loads of really nice people where I work. It's just that it's always the absolute biggest w***ers that get promoted and rise to the top

Edited by Stive Pesley

14 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

> Why are our police forces still getting away with this crap?

They're not getting away with it though. As these news reports demonstrate... they're being found out!

Some are...those that were to be found out were the ones that did the investigation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12716399

There's good and bad where ever you go in the UK, The Police are no different believe me, I've had dealings with both kinds, Played football against Derbyshire Police at Ripley HQ in the 80s, After the game all our cars were having their number plates recorded as we won 1-0, Even with the help of a bent official they lost, One player went onto become a convicted drug/thief...now deceased.

And too add

The Rettendon Murders

Two people were accused and they said were "fitted up" by a super grass, Some say the Police had a hand in the killings as it all was to do with the death of Leah Betts...a Policeman's Daughter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-55801318

Edited by The Last Post

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Sadly the inquest into the handling of the Stephen Lawrence murder in the 90s and the recent inquest into the behaviour of the Met both concluded with very similar failings, showing that not much has changed in 30 years

Sadly the police force is one of those jobs that seems to encourage a lot of the worst people and it becomes institutionalised behaviour

I'm sure there are loads of really nice coppers, in the same way that there are loads of really nice people where I work. It's just that it's always the absolute biggest w***ers that get promoted and rise to the top

That's why change has to be institutional and not individual. Hauling up the bad copper who got caught is simply diverting the focus away from where it is needed. The OPs question is an excellent one, how are they still getting away with it? How?

I guess the answer is partly conspiracy theory (pick one, from Masons to Illuminati to just political donations and old school network). But part of the problem is recruiting and resourcing - when you are run into the ground and made to be an unattractive career option it's hard to take the high ground. Guy I know works in the police and says he is often the only on duty policeman in a town the size of Chesterfield. What do you do to fix that?

21 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

They've known about the cover-up until recently tho. No fecker ever gets to take the rap either. It's just another case closed as far as they're concerned. Imagine being banged-up on the evidence of witnesses with dishonesty convictions! JFC.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/who-andrew-malkinson-grimsby-what-8073909

"On December 13, 2022, a 48-year-old man from Exeter was arrested in connection with the attack, after his DNA was found on the victim's clothing and in samples taken from underneath her fingernails shortly after the attack took place.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “Greater Manchester police will continue to assist and co-operate with the CCRC’s review of this case. Following the discovery of new DNA evidence a full forensic review is now taking place and on 13 December 2022 a 48-year-old man from Exeter was arrested on suspicion of a rape that took place in July 2003. He has been released under investigation.”"

I have so many questions about this case. Is it normal to be released under investigation when your DNA is found all over the crime scene? What happens to the two scrotes who misidentified Malkinson? It is extremely worrying that a jury would convict based on such flimsy evidence, regardless of what the police withheld.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/who-andrew-malkinson-grimsby-what-8073909

"On December 13, 2022, a 48-year-old man from Exeter was arrested in connection with the attack, after his DNA was found on the victim's clothing and in samples taken from underneath her fingernails shortly after the attack took place.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “Greater Manchester police will continue to assist and co-operate with the CCRC’s review of this case. Following the discovery of new DNA evidence a full forensic review is now taking place and on 13 December 2022 a 48-year-old man from Exeter was arrested on suspicion of a rape that took place in July 2003. He has been released under investigation.”"

I have so many questions about this case. Is it normal to be released under investigation when your DNA is found all over the crime scene? What happens to the two scrotes who misidentified Malkinson? It is extremely worrying that a jury would convict based on such flimsy evidence, regardless of what the police withheld.

Normal what's normal in todays world?, FWIW, I'd wager the person who was released under investigation claimed it was consensual sex, As this was some 20 years ago, Is the female wanting to pursue her claim of rape, Is she still alive, The witnesses evidence has now been tainted with this wrongful conviction,  Greater Manchester police will have to go through hoops of fire to not make another pigs ear of this case. 

1 hour ago, cstand said:

We are in the top ten countries in the world for most trusted police.

image.thumb.png.51895a84372a7a2f040e4986a13f43f6.png

That's a bit depressing that even the best are only just over half the population trust the police.

I've had barely any interaction with them, myself, but that nice Inspector Barnaby from the telly seems a lovely chap. I wonder why he changed his name from Bergerac?.

Probably a Brexit thing.

Edited by Wolfie

Jeez this is such a difficult one to know all the answers to , by the nature of the job eg the position of power it gives it will attract some real scumbags and it can’t help but foster that gang mentality of having each others backs when you consider the situations they have to go into and some of the people they have to face up to and get under control,

when I was a kid I hated the police and I’ve had some slaps from them including one time being choked until passing out and being left unconscious in a cell pretty drunk , scary when you think about it now , truth be told I was a t*** back then and living a different life and to balance it out I came across some decent policemen and it was all a bit of a game with s*** happening to the police tit for tat ,

years later I was punched by one in Clapham when I had done nothing and was trying to stop a fight , it was a decent punch and made a mess of my lip , he then arrested me , I was kept overnight and said to the officers that he had over reacted and they should let me go and that would be the end of it , they said there was no way that was going to happen as I could complain ( the one who did it was from a different station ) , I was charged with assault on a police officer, got out , took pictures of my face for evidence, it went on for about a year but long story short , when I got to court the other officers did not back his claim that I hit him first , I showed pictures and it was thrown out , never bothered to make a complaint ( probably have made a few Bob ), reason for the story ,I was lucky and they never closed ranks or I could have been looking at a bit of time,

the Stephen Lawrence case was probably the first one I took note of as the whole thing was just heartbreaking,made even more so by the actions of the police and the rank closing cover ups ,

long ramble over and still don’t know where the answer lies , if me and my kids or any innocent really is unlucky enough to be caught in a violent situation I kind of hope the officers who turn up have enough nasty in them to protect the innocent, I see the police differently now , it’s one bloody tough job and I don’t know how you stop ALL wrong uns at the recruitment stage 🤷🏻‍♂️