Why are our police forces still getting away with this crap?

Grumpy Git

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

14 days after this thread was started, Lucy Letby was sentenced to life imprisonment.  A conviction based on incredibly weak evidence.  Anybody else have doubts about it?

Not the jury

Maybe the written confession in her diary swayed them,

Edited by sage

You are bound to feel the outside pressure to find her guilty.  How many times did they see the trial reported on TV or in the newspapers? How many podcasts followed the trial?  Social media?  You can't keep yourself in a bubble for 10 months.  The police had a whole department investigating this for years, you have to be a brave juror to go against all that.

Edited by DerbysLane

26 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

14 days after this thread was started, Lucy Letby was sentenced to life imprisonment.  A conviction based on incredibly weak evidence.  Anybody else have doubts about it?

Do you think she is innocent and if so, why?

48 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

It's a whole life term...which is she'll die in prison.

Only saw the outcome...like you said...no press reports.

The Jury can only go on the evidence provided and statements by witnesses, The trouble being did the Jury understand what was put in front of them, A guilty verdict would say they did.

As has been posted there are countless miscarriages of justice in the UK

https://news.sky.com/story/the-evidence-seen-during-lucy-letbys-murder-trial-from-handwritten-notes-to-cards-for-parents-12944606

Edited by The Last Post

There are a few sites questioning the evidence that was presented at trial.  It is quite convincing, albeit many of the people making the claims seem to be the conspiracy theory, climate change denying, Trump supporting type.  I have such little faith in the police or NHS hospital consultants that I'm more inclined to believe these random internet people.

For example, https://www.chimpinvestor.com/post/more-remarkable-statistics-in-the-lucy-letby-case or there is a whole series of posts at https://lawhealthandtech.substack.com/p/scepticism-in-action .  These https://www.scienceontrial.com/ are even raising money for a re-trial.

7 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

There are a few sites questioning the evidence that was presented at trial.  It is quite convincing, albeit many of the people making the claims seem to be the conspiracy theory, climate change denying, Trump supporting type.  I have such little faith in the police or NHS hospital consultants that I'm more inclined to believe these random internet people.

For example, https://www.chimpinvestor.com/post/more-remarkable-statistics-in-the-lucy-letby-case or there is a whole series of posts at https://lawhealthandtech.substack.com/p/scepticism-in-action .  These https://www.scienceontrial.com/ are even raising money for a re-trial.

Now you've provided such compelling evidence, I'm in 

10 hours ago, Rev said:

I had my doubts anyway, but now an anonymous blogger has cast new light, I too am in.

I know I sound like a lunatic, but they're probably way more reliable than the headlines you've read in the mainstream media.  Take the 'confession note', which is nothing more than a jumbled up mess of scribble from a clearly anguished person.

I think this guy https://gill1109.com/?amp=1 provided the statistics that helped free a Dutch nurse jailed in similar circumstances to Letby.  So the Dutch courts took him seriously.

I’ve never quite been able to get my head round this case and that probably comes from the fact that it’s very hard to imagine a female nurse killing babies in a hospital and the current day environment where avoiding any corporate/ institutional liability is a must , that said , im far from any kind of expert and have not read too much on the case as the subject matter is extremely sad 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 10/08/2023 at 15:44, Wolfie said:

That's a bit depressing that even the best are only just over half the population trust the police.

I've had barely any interaction with them, myself, but that nice Inspector Barnaby from the telly seems a lovely chap. I wonder why he changed his name from Bergerac?.

Probably a Brexit thing.

Probably didn't want to be judged by the size of the boat he came here on

2 hours ago, Archied said:

I’ve never quite been able to get my head round this case and that probably comes from the fact that it’s very hard to imagine a female nurse killing babies in a hospital and the current day environment where avoiding any corporate/ institutional liability is a must , that said , im far from any kind of expert and have not read too much on the case as the subject matter is extremely sad 🤷🏻‍♂️

Similar thoughts - the fact that she appeared to be a normal person, with an unremarkable upbringing doesn't present any of the usual hallmarks of a serial killer. There seems to have been very little discussion of "motive" in all the coverage (which is usually the thing that the media fixate on)

At the end of the day, you have to trust the judicial process, but I pity the poor jury in such an emotive case. Must have been heartbreaking to sit through that day after day

3 hours ago, DerbysLane said:

I know I sound like a lunatic, but they're probably way more reliable than the headlines you've read in the mainstream media.  Take the 'confession note', which is nothing more than a jumbled up mess of scribble from a clearly anguished person.

I think this guy https://gill1109.com/?amp=1 provided the statistics that helped free a Dutch nurse jailed in similar circumstances to Letby.  So the Dutch courts took him seriously.

I agree with some of that. 

I'm puzzled why people seem to think why Lucy Letby is an innocent person. Unless all the whistleblowing and planting of fake diaries was a big conspiracy against her, which I highly doubt. The key for me is the lack of emotion. If you'd been innocent of this crime, you'd be horrified and sobbing throughout the trial. She showed no emotion, lacked cooperation and to top it off didn't even appear for her sentencing.

I have known a couple of awful individuals who don't look on the face to be bad people. A lad I went to school with was convicted of raping a teenage boy. I would have never I thought he was the kind of person to commit something horrific. Very bright, would help you out if needed. Popular kid. All of a sudden 15 years later you see his name in the paper. Another friend I went to school with, her father was caught with indecent images of children on his computer. Again, he appeared to be a good family man who was popular with the parents. 

What I'm trying to say in a long winded way is not all serious criminals are unemployed, tracksuit wearing druggies who live in council flats. People with a seemingly good upbringing can still commit horrible crimes. We can't judge people just because they look charming and are up the social hierarchy.

2 hours ago, SSD said:

What I'm trying to say in a long winded way is not all serious criminals are unemployed, tracksuit wearing druggies who live in council flats. People with a seemingly good upbringing can still commit horrible crimes. We can't judge people just because they look charming and are up the social hierarchy.

I agree - but I was talking specifically in terms of serial killers sharing certain traits. She's a fairly niche serial killer in so much as you don't get many female serial killers who act alone, and usually there is a pattern of abuse in their life, or a history of psychopathic behaviour. She had neither (according to character witnesses)

Doesn't make her innocent, but does make it a very curious case so I can see why some people are deep into it. 

The fact that there were unexplained deaths when she wasn't on shift, and that continued even after she was in custody does seem to give weight to anyone arguing that the data was cherry-picked. Plus she didn't get convicted on every charge did she? So that alone would show there may have been other factors involved - but at this point I bow out and leave it to the conspiracy theorists