Michael Smith

DCFC1388

36 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Disagree, surely even if we paid his wages for the rest of the season its better than having a player who's not playing at all and still costing the club.

No player who doesn't play benefits the club as you still have to pay them 

100% this. A fee on top is madness. They have about 7 strikers on the books surely they need to offload one or two?

We should obviously look at other targets but Chansiri is well known for being hard to deal with but he eventually crumbles. Just this past October he was asking fans to chip in £2 mill to pay the tax and wages but somehow found the money in the end. As long as we stick to our guns with not offering what they want and maybe hope Smith kicks off as well we should get him.

Speaking to a Wendy pal at weekend, apparently Smith got a ridiculous wage increase when they went up & that's the issue. Sounds like we would be unable to get close to paying all of his wages (definition of significant contribution could be very broad & not in reality be the majority of wages) which is why they've asked for a loan fee to sweeten the deal.

Wendies sound in a mess financially what with Chansiri refusing to put any more money in & even asking the fans to pay HMRC debts in October. I suspect they can not afford to have Smith on the books at the end of January & hence we're in a stronger bargaining position the longer the month goes. I can't see there'd be that much competition from other League One clubs now given Oxford & Charlton's recent business and would be surprised if anyone in the Championship wanted him. Sit tight I think.

How typical of the Wendies. Tell them to jog on, I reckon. We have Collo and while I'd like to see cover for him, it's good to see us standing our ground and not being held to ransom. The way some clubs go about their business staggers me, but hey, it's their player and therefore their prerogative, but for me, it's a resounding 'no' and a move onto the next on the list. I'm still more concerned about MF to be honest. 

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Speaking to a Wendy pal at weekend, apparently Smith got a ridiculous wage increase when they went up & that's the issue. Sounds like we would be unable to get close to paying all of his wages (definition of significant contribution could be very broad & not in reality be the majority of wages) which is why they've asked for a loan fee to sweeten the deal.

Wendies sound in a mess financially what with Chansiri refusing to put any more money in & even asking the fans to pay HMRC debts in October. I suspect they can not afford to have Smith on the books at the end of January & hence we're in a stronger bargaining position the longer the month goes. I can't see there'd be that much competition from other League One clubs now given Oxford & Charlton's recent business and would be surprised if anyone in the Championship wanted him. Sit tight I think.

I think most of league one would want to sign him go be honest. He's a proven goalscorer at this level. 

What will work in our favour is we're at the top and I can't see Smith wanting to go to a team outside the top 6.

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I think most of league one would want to sign him go be honest. He's a proven goalscorer at this level. 

What will work in our favour is we're at the top and I can't see Smith wanting to go to a team outside the top 6.

I meant more from a financial competition perspective given his wages. Agree his style would be very sought after at this level.

We'd also have the trump card of him (presumably) wanting to play for Warne again.

Just now, DiggerB said:

Move on I say!

Seems the club aren’t ready to yet;

I can understand Warne’s persistence on this one as he is one of his former players meaning he knows what he’s about and what he can offer, plus he’s capable at this level….but there’s surely other options out there if Wendies want to be difficult. 

2 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

If they were going to charge a feee on top wouldn't it be better to just buy him on a 1 year for example with an option for a second year?

And if he is earning £12-£14k a week he won’t give that up. This is his last decent pay check of which he has six months left.

Set a deadline, a final offer, move onto others.

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Seems the club aren’t ready to yet;

I can understand Warne’s persistence on this one as he is one of his former players meaning he knows what he’s about and what he can offer, plus he’s capable at this level….but there’s surely other options out there if Wendies want to be difficult. 

The persistence is fine, he's clearly a target. I'd simply tell Wendies that our offer is as good as they'll get and wait it out until we sign someone else, the window ends or they decide it's the best offer they're gonna get.

Get on with some other targets in the meantime.

Warne said there was a plan B, so go try and get the plan B and make it public.

We can't have Sheff Wed's holding us to ransom.

My Mums side of the family all support Wednesday, and my nana, god rest her soul, was a huge Wednesday fan..but she can rollox if she thinks we will be held to ransom by them rotters.

200.gif

This one will go to the wire and then Wednesday will concede that getting some of his wages off the bill is better than nothing.

Absolutely no other club is going to pay a fee like that for him. It'll go to the wire but, if Warne wants to wait, he'll get him.

3 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

If they were going to charge a feee on top wouldn't it be better to just buy him on a 1 year for example with an option for a second year?

Thought crossed my mind but if we were promoted, would he get games at Derby. I'm not sure and I think that'd be enough to steer me back to the loan option which I'd have thought ought to work well for all parties, but clearly the Wendies are needy AF.

And on that note, not sure if anyone has said as much, but I think we should tell them to do one.