Law/rule changes for the 23/24 season

MadAmster

It will be interesting to see how well refs implement these. Particularly happy with the multi ball, stopping the all in wrestling in the box, time wasting, how to handle injuries, calculating added time properly which may help curb time wasting tactics, the prevention of a quick restart by not retiring the full 10 yards immediately. I fully expect a flurry of cards in the opening few games but players, coaches and managers learn quickly and I'm sure by early October we will start to see the first ruses to get round the changes.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/match-officials-to-adopt-new-approach-for-202324-season

Edited by MadAmster

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

It will be interesting to see how well refs implement these. Particularly happy with the multi ball, stopping the all in wrestling in the box, time wasting, how to handle injuries, calculating added time properly which may help curb time wasting tactics, the prevention of a quick restart by not retiring the full 10 yards immediately. I fully expect a flurry of cards in the opening few games but players, coaches and managers learn quickly and I'm sure by early October we will start to see the first ruses to get round the changes.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/match-officials-to-adopt-new-approach-for-202324-season

The cynic within me sees this time added on for time wasting being a fine way of ensuring that the “right team” wins. A sort of “Fergie Time” on steroids.

In fairness, it took two rounds of games in Qatar for it to work. I suspect we’ll see some 105 minute games in the first week or two and then teams will twig that time wasting doesn’t really pay anymore and the quality and speed of games will improve. 

I sincerely hope so. I absolutely dread a goal being scored in EFL games. You just know you’re in for a load of ****housery.

"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick:

A yellow card will be issued if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball.
A red card will be shown in all other circumstances (e.g., holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball)
The additional wording means that whilst cynical non-footballing actions such as clear holding, pushing and handball offences will continue to be sanctioned with a penalty and red card, where there is an attempt to play the ball or challenge for the ball a penalty and yellow card is the expected outcome."

Now.....

If this was the case last year, Curtis Davies would not have been sent off in our final game against, Sheffield Wednesday, we would have made the play offs and been promoted. 

Edited by Ramifications

11 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Although 9 minutes weren’t added on Saturday I thought there wasn’t as much blatant time wasting like there was last season 

I agree but Wigan came to play football and we’re taking free kicks etc quickly and trying to do things unlike most of the division last season, let’s see how the season plays out

7 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Although 9 minutes weren’t added on Saturday I thought there wasn’t as much blatant time wasting like there was last season 

*Were? 

I didn't time it, but it seemed like they spent 3 minutes wumming in the NE corner after what proved to be their winner, plus another 3 ambling back to their own half.
I was relieved to see 9 mins (minimum) added... and long may it continue... but 9 minutes overall was in no way generous.  I'd say it was a good/fair call.  

As an aside, I like the fact that the stadium clock now continues to show the (added) time, instead of us all having to guess.
The away fans whistling on 7 minutes was a little embarrassing (on their part), but I appreciate they may not be able to see the South Stand clock (and I've no idea if there's a running clock on the main screen, as I can only see a slither of it?  🤷‍♂️

A rule change I hadn’t picked up on is that only 1 of the management/coaching team is allowed in the technical area.  Warne was asked about this in his post-match interview on Radio Derby and he said he found it awkward and he needs to get used to it.  Ritchie Barker normally stands in the area and Warne was saying if he’d spotted something and wanted get a message across he had to call RB back and then go out, which isn’t always easy.  It’s a fair point and I suspect a lot of managers and coaches might need to adapt.  I wonder if we might see more of the managers sitting in the stands and mic’d up to someone on the touch line.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

On 04/08/2023 at 21:22, Ramifications said:

"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick:

A yellow card will be issued if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball.
A red card will be shown in all other circumstances (e.g., holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball)
The additional wording means that whilst cynical non-footballing actions such as clear holding, pushing and handball offences will continue to be sanctioned with a penalty and red card, where there is an attempt to play the ball or challenge for the ball a penalty and yellow card is the expected outcome."

Now.....

If this was the case last year, Curtis Davies would not have been sent off in our final game against, Sheffield Wednesday, we would have made the play offs and been promoted. 

And if this was the case this year, we would have had a penalty after only 10 minutes, with the Wigan defender red carded. But for these new rules to be enforced it will need the match officials to enforce them, and there lies the problem.

On 04/08/2023 at 20:57, The_Sheriff said:

Cards are being handed out like its christmas

Probably because some players and managers haven’t bothered reading the rules, think they don’t apply to them or instantly forget them.

I’m half watching the charity shield. Two players have been booked for kicking the ball away (those are the rules whether you agree with them or not) and Arteta has been booked for imitating the ref holding up a card to tell him the City player should be booked. That rule has been in place for some time now so there’s no excuse.