Law/rule changes for the 23/24 season

MadAmster

16 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

.....As an aside, I like the fact that the stadium clock now continues to show the (added) time, instead of us all having to guess.

The away fans whistling on 7 minutes was a little embarrassing (on their part), but I appreciate they may not be able to see the South Stand clock (and I've no idea if there's a running clock on the main screen, as I can only see a slither of it?  🤷‍♂️

I suspect the shiny new graphics on the main screen can't cope with going past the standard 45 minutes so it stopped displaying the time when we got into 'added on'....

15 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Probably because some players and managers haven’t bothered reading the rules, think they don’t apply to them or instantly forget them.

I’m half watching the charity shield. Two players have been booked for kicking the ball away (those are the rules whether you agree with them or not) and Arteta has been booked for imitating the ref holding up a card to tell him the City player should be booked. That rule has been in place for some time now so there’s no excuse.

Gross stupidity from the players and manager involved - they'd apparently been briefed on how the rules wouyld be applied in the run up to the game yet still could't stop themselves - and typical inconsistency from Attwell (surprise, surprise) in that he didn't book Odegaard for demanding a booking when a Man City player accidentally stood on the very end of an Aresnal player's boot - jumping up and down and claiming it was a stamp was just embarassing....

The multi ball thing needs a bit of a tweak...

The balls are placed on "coasters" at the side of the pitch.  The ball boys/girls still sit crouched behind the hoardings.  Players pretty much have to fetch the ball themselves, be that the one that just went out, or one of the spares.

... And if they do grab a spare, more often than not, they'll just be about to take a throw in, when the original ball gets lobbed from the crowd, and trickles back on to pitch!  🙄

Not sure if the purpose of the multi ball thing is specifically to save time, but I reckon it cost a good 3 minutes on Saturday! 

Not exactly a smooth operation, is it!  

They should have an official time keeper. The ref has enough to do. Or, adopt the 30 or 35 minute half, and the time keeper stops the clock each time the ball goes dead. The game would still last approximately 90 minutes.

The thing that really bugged me was the time taken to take a goal kick , if their team was winning. The other one, not retreating 10 yards for a free kick, should be a yellow card every time. Allow ten seconds max. 
Additionally,  ten yards at a free kick should BE ten yards, not eight! Find a way to measure it, OR calibrate each referee so that a tall ref’s ten strides would do the trick, or a short ref, twelve strides. You get the picture.

Edited by Rambam

31 minutes ago, Rambam said:

They should have an official time keeper. The ref has enough to do. Or, adopt the 30 or 35 minute half, and the time keeper stops the clock each time the ball goes dead. The game would still last approximately 90 minutes.

The thing that really bugged me was the time taken to take a goal kick , if their team was winning. The other one, not retreating 10 yards for a free kick, should be a yellow card every time. Allow ten seconds max. 
Additionally,  ten yards at a free kick should BE ten yards, not eight! Find a way to measure it, OR calibrate each referee so that a tall ref’s ten strides would do the trick, or a short ref, twelve strides. You get the picture.

There was a very odd Wigan free kick at one point where the ref took 10 of the most inconsistent strides you've ever seen and then sprayed his line way out to the left of goal. Obviously that's nowhere near where we want our wall as we're going to be more central to block a shot on goal.

So our players just formed a wall basically where they felt like it, the strides and the spray was totally pointless.

I think collectively we all just watched such an abysmal measuring attempt we all just elected to ignore it and moved on with having a random guess

Both sides seemed happy with it, so it must have been roughly right