Young Derby Players who didn't/haven't have the career we thought they may have done

sage

44 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

His career was blighted by “The Derby Way”. I saw him come through in the reserves/under 18, and he was a really exciting player who lit the crowd up when he got on the ball.

He did the same when he appeared in the first team it was the same. There was a buzz whenever he got the ball, because he could beat his man, put good crosses in a d wasn’t afraid to shoot. Yet even though we were playing poorly and struggling to score, he was usually on the bench, at least until the last 10 or 20 minutes, or when we were behind and the game was almost gone. He was extremely left footed, but more often than not his pittance of minutes would be on the right wing. He was sent out on loan (to Walsall, I believe) but his head was already gone.

What a waste! We have done it to others as well, and my fear is that we are doing the same to Sibley.

His ankle was gone not his head

On 22/07/2023 at 21:05, Raich Carter said:

I was going to say that. He got injured early on and his game was all about pace. I remember his debut for us and he was properly rapid. 

1-0 vs Spurs if I remember rightly.  He was poo off a shovel quick before his injury.  Wasn't he still turning out for Mickleover Sports up til a couple of seasons ago?

Kris Sleeuwenhoek and Jason Kavanagh. This pair were pinched from Wolves and were supposed to be future superstars. I don't remember Kris playing at all for our first team and Jason had a minor career with us as a not tall enough but reasonable central defender 

On 21/07/2023 at 23:56, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Injuries.

Gary Twigg and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson for me, both had half decent careers, but I thought they would make it big.

Henrik Ojaama was another I rated highly.

Adam Murray, Marvin Robinson, Pablo Mills and the local lad who came through at 15 at same time as Huddlestone, highly rated at the time (name escapes me).

Ivan Calero, Santos and Koblenz more recently.

seem to remember it was Tom Huddlestone, Nathan Doyle & Lee Holmes that were on the fringes of the first team at the same time. think they all played a part in the pre season friendly vs Ajax at PP in the early 2000’s.. think it was Doyle’s debut?

6 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Kris Sleeuwenhoek and Jason Kavanagh. This pair were pinched from Wolves and were supposed to be future superstars. I don't remember Kris playing at all for our first team and Jason had a minor career with us as a not tall enough but reasonable central defender 

Kris suffered a major injury that ended his career as I recall 

19 minutes ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

I thought Giles Barnes would have an amazing career.  I know many of you on here think otherwise.

Never saw Timi Max Elsnik play, but he seemed to get a huge amount of 'just wait until he breaks into the first team' build up and praise from all quarters.

Giles Barnes was the best player we've had from our academy.  In todays market of talent hoovering he'd have been sold for 20 million with add ons within 12 months.  Remember Roy Keane saying that the goal he scored against Sunderland could only be scored by those with exceptional ability.  I saw that one live and he was right.  He pretty much missed our entire premier league fiasco with injury, then got that bust knee preseason against Stokes big unfriendly giants.  He really should have stayed at Derby and rebuilt his career rather than going to Fulham after those 2 goals on his comeback against United in the League cup semi final but putting it nicely he had rather a large head that ultimately sent him down the MLS route rather than putting in the work he probably hadn't needed to before with his skill level. Nearly came back here under McClaren 1 if I recall. 

1 hour ago, Roots Manuva said:

seem to remember it was Tom Huddlestone, Nathan Doyle & Lee Holmes that were on the fringes of the first team at the same time. think they all played a part in the pre season friendly vs Ajax at PP in the early 2000’s.. think it was Doyle’s debut?

Good player Holmes.  Captain of England U19's and we turned down a bid from Chelsea for him at 17.  Then we kept loaning him out till he was about 19  whilst deeming him decent enough to play about 40 games, then gave him a free.  He then he had the choice of Southampton, Leeds and Forest as I recall and got of to a flyer at Southampton before an injury. A player we probably could have hung on to who should have done better but we didn't do much to facilitate it in fairness. 

14 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

1-0 vs Spurs if I remember rightly.  He was poo off a shovel quick before his injury.  Wasn't he still turning out for Mickleover Sports up til a couple of seasons ago?

Yeah, proper rapid player. I remember him absolutely skinning a decent full back (can't remember who) and thinking this lad could be useful but £3.5m (iirc) down the swanny.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He came to us with a broken foot, played a bit, then spent months out with a back injury he got picking up a wallet he'd dropped getting out a taxi.  The original man of glass.  

Lee will forever be fondly remembered for helping Yeovil in that play off game at the council tip 😅

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Pretty sure Kavanagh became a mortgage broker.  I used to see him going into an office at the top of Sadlergate.

Yeah Kav did, he also played for Burton/Mickleover and the likes, got to know him and he's a decent bloke.

You also mention Stallard, used to play an age up for Littleover Dazzlers and he was the striker in the season before he joined Derby on YTS and was a machine, shame it didn't work out for him. He was a decent wicketkeeper as well.

Some very talented kids around that age from Derby, Mark Wood (Mansfield) Ian Mcara / Brian Johnson / Nick Franklin / Corin Holness / Steve Powell Jr. (Derby) Andy Simpson (Sheff United, although also wanted by Derby, Man Utd and Arsenal) / Roger Sallis (Man Utd.) none of whom did anything in the pro game. A few did good numbers in non-league though

We also had a brilliant young keeper called Jon Thompson (not the current one) who played for England Schoolbys and was really really good, only problem was he didn't grow so joined the Navy instead.

I will never tire of saying that to become a pro, as on the whole it is a meritocracy, you have to be very exceptional

12 hours ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

I thought Giles Barnes would have an amazing career.  I know many of you on here think otherwise.

Never saw Timi Max Elsnik play, but he seemed to get a huge amount of 'just wait until he breaks into the first team' build up and praise from all quarters.

Yes, Elsnik's career has been rubbish. Captain of his Club, a regular full international and playing in the Champions League!