Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

44 minutes ago, rynny said:

Collins really sticks out for his superior record. Get the ball to him and he will finish. Even the much maligned CW has a better record than Rhodes over that time period.

Warne has intimated that whoever he buys will be a rough diamond and represent something of a gamble. I don't think the need for a striker is as pressing as many make out. For me, we need creativity.

We've got a Collins though, Warne wants something else. So it's what else is there out there and can we afford it? Or maybe he'll go for 'more of the same' to at least try and ensure we aren't left without cover.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We've got a Collins though, Warne wants something else. So it's what else is there out there and can we afford it? Or maybe he'll go for 'more of the same' to at least try and ensure we aren't left without cover.

We’re desperate for some pace up front, would happily have dobbin back personally.

4 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Dobbin has pace but no end product - no way is he good enough ! 

Think he offered something different from the bench a few times last season.

agree on end product needing work but him running at teams stretched defences and pulled defenders out of position. Collins, Rhodes and Washington seem very samey.

even if not dobbin we definitely need pace in the team.

3 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Think he offered something different from the bench a few times last season.

agree on end product needing work but him running at teams stretched defences and pulled defenders out of position. Collins, Rhodes and Washington seem very samey.

even if not dobbin we definitely need pace in the team.

I agree pace is missing in our forwards. 

1 hour ago, BuckoBeast said:

Rhodes DID scores goals in LG1 simple 12 YEARS AGO

FTFY

Hasn't score more than 7 in a season for 7 years. He may score goals for us, who knows. I would have thought something different would be good, someone big, quick or skilful.  

1 minute ago, sage said:

FTFY

Hasn't score more than 7 in a season for 7 years. He may score goals for us, who knows. I would have thought something different would be good, someone big, quick or skilful.  

Lucas Joao 

Edited by Magicman

18 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Dobbin has pace but no end product - no way is he good enough ! 

We all know you don’t rate the lad, it’s been made more than clear many times and that’s fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But saying someone who scored 5 goals and provided 6 assists in his first season of senior football has “no end product” seems factually inaccurate. Especially when a couple of those goals were very well taken. Wycombe away he cut inside the defender and curled it into the top corner, Cheltenham at home he hit a first time shot across the keeper after a selfless pass from Didzy, he scored a good header against Cambridge and there was that stunner of a volley against Torquay. Dobbin’s biggest problem was composure and inconsistency, which will probably come in time in his career. He can clearly finish, just not often enough.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We all know you don’t rate the lad, it’s been made more than clear many times and that’s fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But saying someone who scored 5 goals and provided 6 assists in his first season of senior football has “no end product” seems factually inaccurate. Especially when a couple of those goals were very well taken. Wycombe away he cut inside the defender and curled it into the top corner, Cheltenham at home he hit a first time shot across the keeper after a selfless pass from Didzy, he scored a good header against Cambridge and there was that stunner of a volley against Torquay. Dobbin’s biggest problem was composure and inconsistency, which will probably come in time in his career. He can clearly finish, just not often enough.

Think it was morecambe at home he was unplayable, absolutely tore his fullback to shreds. He obviously has ability.

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Did he not also assist both goals in the late turnaround at Port Vale? He was brilliant that night after coming on.

1 minute ago, jameso said:

Did he not also assist both goals in the late turnaround at Port Vale? He was brilliant that night after coming on.

Indeed he did. I accept the frustration Dobbin brought to many fans during his time here, he could easily have hit double figures in terms of goals for us with some of the chances he did miss, I just don’t see how people can claim he has no ability when he scored and assisted some important goals for us and is backed by a premier league club. 
Inconsistent? Yep. Lacking composure? At times. Capable of scoring and assisting goals? Definitely. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Indeed he did. I accept the frustration Dobbin brought to many fans during his time here, he could easily have hit double figures in terms of goals for us with some of the chances he did miss, I just don’t see how people can claim he has no ability when he scored and assisted some important goals for us and is backed by a premier league club. 
Inconsistent? Yep. Lacking composure? At times. Capable of scoring and assisting goals? Definitely. 

To try and give a balanced view, I think it's rare you see a disparity that big between obvious talent, and the sheer inability to play an effective final ball. Steering away from goals and assists, far too many times Dobbin would make a mazy run, beat his man, put himself in a perfect position to cross- and then just waste the final ball. That's frustrating because it's the equivalent of building hope for it to be dashed at the last second. His numbers really aren't that bad but his dribbling got him so often into dangerous positions, only for him to waste them more often than not. 

Springett, by comparison, was just ineffective. Needed to bulk out a bit and wasn't quite ready yet for the senior game. Objectively a less developed player than Dobbin but far less frustrating because his shortcomings were consistent.

Watching someone with amazing close control, dribbling skills, and the ability to beat a man is the stuff that gets you off your feet... only to slump back down seconds later because of poor end product- I think that's the frustrating bit.