Pizza cup

Ilsonram12

We’ve been drawn alongside Lincoln and Notts County. We’ll find out the U23 PL side that joins us tomorrow.

Worth noting that Notts Forest’s U23s are in it this year. It’s almost a certainty that we get them, they beat us, and then Didzy scores against us for Notts County too.

I don’t even like pizza anyway.

Edit: Ilson was too quick for me! I’ll merge them.

Edited by Kernow

Derby have been placed Group G of the Northern Section alongside fellow Sky Bet League One side Lincoln City and League Two newcomers Notts County.

All EFL clubs will play two of their three matches at home in the Group Stages, with Under-21 teams away from home in all three fixtures.

The 16 Invited Under-21 teams are placed into their respective Northern and Southern section Groups, with the 48 EFL clubs placed into pre-determined Groups prior to the draw. Consideration has been given to ensure travel time is minimised and recovery time is maximised for players.

The draw for the Under-21 teams entering the Groups will take place at 11:30am on Thursday 22nd June and Derby will face one of the Under-21 sides from Everton, Liverpool, Leicester City, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Nottingham Forest or Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Northern Section.

The first round of Group Games in the competition will be played on the midweek of 5th/6th September 2023, followed by the second on 10th/11th October 2023 and the third on 14th/15th November 2023. However, alternative match dates will be considered by the EFL if required.

The EFL Trophy Final will take place at Wembley Stadium on Sunday 7th April 2024.

16 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Dreadful conditions imposed on the league sides forcing them to play a certain number of league starters in these games - ultimately players get tired or injured who wouldn’t ordinarily be selected.All this to suit the premiership under 23 sides 

Seems like the competition is set up to give young Prem players game time against seasoned professionals. Thats why we will only be opening one stand for these games. Unless it’s Florists.

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Dreadful conditions imposed on the league sides forcing them to play a certain number of league starters in these games - ultimately players get tired or injured who wouldn’t ordinarily be selected.All this to suit the premiership under 23 sides 

The restrictions aren't harsh at all.

• Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture
  • Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who have made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season
  • Any player with 40 or more first-team appearances in their career
  • Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL 'Category One' academy club
  • A club can play any eligible goalkeeper in the competition

After our summer recruitment is finished, we can still rotate a full 11 and include academy players whilst still meeting the requirements.

There’s a pattern throughout all of the groups where pretty much every group, North and South has a local derby. It’s almost as if the groups were handpicked to try and drum up so more interest in a competition that not too many care about.

Fully expect us to end up with either Forest or Leicester as the youth team.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The restrictions aren't harsh at all.

• Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture
  • Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who have made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season
  • Any player with 40 or more first-team appearances in their career
  • Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL 'Category One' academy club
  • A club can play any eligible goalkeeper in the competition

After our summer recruitment is finished, we can still rotate a full 11 and include academy players whilst still meeting the requirements.

All about opinions 

54 minutes ago, Kernow said:

There’s a pattern throughout all of the groups where pretty much every group, North and South has a local derby. It’s almost as if the groups were handpicked to try and drum up so more interest in a competition that not too many care about.

Fully expect us to end up with either Forest or Leicester as the youth team.

I assumed it was deliberate, afterall we have to play it so we (all the teams) may as well have some proper interest in it?

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I assumed it was deliberate, afterall we have to play it so we (all the teams) may as well have some proper interest in it?

I thought every “draw” had to be random? I don’t see how any competition could be taken seriously if you handpick who you want to play each other.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I thought every “draw” had to be random? I don’t see how any competition could be taken seriously if you handpick who you want to play each other.

I'm sure it is 'random' but perhaps there is other team weighting applied, not just north/south/u21s?! 😄

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I believe you can pay a financial penalty not to play in it.   We need to concentrate on going up not participating in this bollox.

We'll have a big enough squad to compete in it. If we don't then that will be a worry!

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We'll have a big enough squad to compete in it. If we don't then that will be a worry!

Might be for some.  I detest it .  Right waste of time. The original trophy- Sherpa Van for those who remember, had merits.  Before playoffs it gave perennial division 3 and 4 sides a chance to see their team win at Wembley.  Now it's a load od old crap.

image.png.810ef7da2f292e4b729b195d19046381.png

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I believe you can pay a financial penalty not to play in it.   We need to concentrate on going up not participating in this bollox.

its our most realitisic chance of silverware this season, i hope we take it seriously personally

need a winning mentality. go all out in every game, it will pay off long term

Edited by alram

3 minutes ago, alram said:

its our most realitisic chance of silverware this season, i hope we take it seriously personally

need a winning mentality. go all out in every game, it will pay off long term

Personally not for me.  In terms of silverware we should only be targeting one bit.