Derby Greatest/Classic Matches

JakeDCFC

2 hours ago, JakeDCFC said:

Since I'm a new fan I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some suggestions of some of Derby's greatest matches or classic matches that you think is worth a watch. Have a lot of free time coming up this next week and was thinking of spending a lot of it doing this, but i do not really know when to start. Figure it'll also help me get more acquainted with the club's history alongside the vast googling I have been doing of course haha. 

No footage of this one, but the first ever league game to kick off.  Believe it started 3 minutes before the others.

image.png.2071009a7f0cf0d4c539872646a87666.png

Here’s my post from the greatest individual performance I’ve ever seen. 

Perhaps not one of the great days, but, the result was huge in the football world.

…………. the dream was on! 🐑

September 1969, Cloughs team had been promoted to League One, 9 matches unbeaten, away to Fairs Cup winners  (google it young uns) Newcastle United, travelled up on the Trent buses football special, travelled back on a different bus, but more of that later, 40,000 crowd.

David Craig Mackay was unbelievable!

You could see why Clough had persuaded  the 33 year old to sign for the club.  Organising, pointing, shouting, encouraging, passing short, passing long, crunching tackles and strutting around at the back like he owned the place and that clenched fist…………..magnificent.

Anyway, Roy Mac scored the winner, the bus got smashed up and my team Derby County and Mr Brian Howard Clough were top of the league! 

………………..happy days. 👍🐏

7 hours ago, BobdeBilder said:

1968 Derby  v Chelsea league cup replay. Went a goal down then scored three in the second half to win. 30 odd thousand in the BBG sounded more like. 90 thousand. Never heard Rams fans louder, before or since. This was the start of the glory years.

My dear old Dad who saw all the great games of the 60s and 70s always said that that was the greatest game in respect of performance and atmosphere. Unfortunately I was deemed too young to attend as it was a school night, one of my greatest ever regrets. Unfortunately I don't think that any footage exists of this game.

10 hours ago, Kernow said:

Yeah the 18/19 play-offs. I don’t know how old you are but I thought as new fan, watching games in the modern day might help you feel more connected.

As good and successful as the 1970s were, it was 50 years ago. I wasn’t born then, I know the names of the players and the big games but I don’t really associate with that them, football was a completely different game then.

They show re-runs of The Big Match on ITV4 in the UK a lot, you might be able to watch some with a VPN if you want to get an overview of what English football used to be like.

Another good one to find would be Derby 4-1 Brighton from 2013/14 and just fall in love with George Thorne for the very first time.

I feel similar, I obviously enjoy watching games from the glory days and I do enjoy watching older football matches/highlights, but I definitely connect more with the newer game since I am pretty young lol. Do you know if any of these full match replays are available on RamsTV or something like that? I was thinking of getting a subscription. 

10 hours ago, BobdeBilder said:

1968 Derby  v Chelsea league cup replay. Went a goal down then scored three in the second half to win. 30 odd thousand in the BBG sounded more like. 90 thousand. Never heard Rams fans louder, before or since. This was the start of the glory years.

Yes I was there.  Unbelievable sound.  The ground was rocking that night

9 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Here you go Jake...in the days when the world was all black and white...our 1st and only FA Cup win...1946.

It's so crazy to see how different football has become over the years. Can't wait to watch the highlights of our 2nd FA Cup win in 2028 I'm calling it haha

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

97-98 season very enjoyable, as the first season at Pride Park. Man U very lucky to get a 2-2 draw, beat eventual champions Arsenal 3-0, Southampton 4-0 (it was 0-0 after 76 minutes iirc), catch some home highlights from that year (avoid Leeds and Leicester though), I think we were the last league team in England to lose at home that season? May be wrong though.

I'd imagine quite a few Derby fans between the age of 35 and 50 will look back on that season as right up there amongst the best they've had.

I have a strong dislike for Arsenal so that sounds like one I definitely need to watch lol.