Derby Greatest/Classic Matches

JakeDCFC

10 hours ago, JakeDCFC said:

It's so crazy to see how different football has become over the years. Can't wait to watch the highlights of our 2nd FA Cup win in 2028 I'm calling it haha

For some 20 years after that win in 1946 football was pretty much making small moves upwards, When Hungary beat England 6-3 in the Puskas game in the early 1950s we were not the world beaters we thought we were, Slowly but surely players were getting better and wages thanks to Jimmy Hill who helped break the wage structure were getting higher, There was a new era of football when England won the World Cup in 1966.

By the 70s football was on a high even little old Derby County won 2 Division 1 titles, The 80s were upon us and a new bread of footballer was moving in...the foreigner, These players bought a new way of playing and showed what can be done with a little gamesmanship a word that wasn't used then but it was seen as a way to get an advantage on the opposition...and then.

Sky TV came along and changed football forever...millions/billions of £ $ €, Football has moved into the stratosphere where players are earning £500k a week are seen as equal to the movie stars and pop stars, But with all this it has brought misery and destruction to some clubs see Derby County 😡

I've been watching Derby since 1966 as a 10 year old and seen how football has changed for the good and bad, My love for the game is like a Cow in the field chewing grass...it's there so I'll watch it, But that grass has to find a way out of the cows system and for me it's what football has turned into...sh!t

Only an old mans opinion Jake, But if you have time see if you can find "Football Leaks" a true film where a guy called Rui Pinto hacked into the world of corruption in football.

PS choosing Derby County as your team...is a good call 👍

21 hours ago, BobdeBilder said:

1968 Derby  v Chelsea league cup replay. Went a goal down then scored three in the second half to win. 30 odd thousand in the BBG sounded more like. 90 thousand. Never heard Rams fans louder, before or since. This was the start of the glory years.

That was my first ever match watching the rams. What a match for your first ever, hooked from then on.

45 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

For some 20 years after that win in 1946 football was pretty much making small moves upwards, When Hungary beat England 6-3 in the Puskas game in the early 1950s we were not the world beaters we thought we were, Slowly but surely players were getting better and wages thanks to Jimmy Hill who helped break the wage structure were getting higher, There was a new era of football when England won the World Cup in 1966.

By the 70s football was on a high even little old Derby County won 2 Division 1 titles, The 80s were upon us and a new bread of footballer was moving in...the foreigner, These players bought a new way of playing and showed what can be done with a little gamesmanship a word that wasn't used then but it was seen as a way to get an advantage on the opposition...and then.

Sky TV came along and changed football forever...millions/billions of £ $ €, Football has moved into the stratosphere where players are earning £500k a week are seen as equal to the movie stars and pop stars, But with all this it has brought misery and destruction to some clubs see Derby County 😡

I've been watching Derby since 1966 as a 10 year old and seen how football has changed for the good and bad, My love for the game is like a Cow in the field chewing grass...it's there so I'll watch it, But that grass has to find a way out of the cows system and for me it's what football has turned into...sh!t

Only an old mans opinion Jake, But if you have time see if you can find "Football Leaks" a true film where a guy called Rui Pinto hacked into the world of corruption in football.

PS choosing Derby County as your team...is a good call 👍

Yeah money has most definitely changed football and made it as a sport almost unrecognizable compared to even 30 years ago I feel. Some enjoy this change but I can't say I do. I have grown up in and watched football exclusively in this era since I am pretty young so I can't speak for the past but seeing teams go into administration or basically lose all relevancy as they know it because they can't compete really does suck. I feel like despite the quality of the game on the pitch being at an all time high, the game itself is suffering and I hope it doesn't way worse. I liked the cow analogy though haha, really put a clear image in my head of your main point. I'll have to check out that film as it sounds interesting so thank you for recommending it, and yes I am very glad I chose Derby, a true proper club haha.  

On 17/06/2023 at 14:24, Old Spalding Ram said:

Here’s my post from the greatest individual performance I’ve ever seen. 

Perhaps not one of the great days, but, the result was huge in the football world.

…………. the dream was on! 🐑

September 1969, Cloughs team had been promoted to League One, 9 matches unbeaten, away to Fairs Cup winners  (google it young uns) Newcastle United, travelled up on the Trent buses football special, travelled back on a different bus, but more of that later, 40,000 crowd.

David Craig Mackay was unbelievable!

You could see why Clough had persuaded  the 33 year old to sign for the club.  Organising, pointing, shouting, encouraging, passing short, passing long, crunching tackles and strutting around at the back like he owned the place and that clenched fist…………..magnificent.

Anyway, Roy Mac scored the winner, the bus got smashed up and my team Derby County and Mr Brian Howard Clough were top of the league! 

………………..happy days. 👍🐏

My grandparents lived a few hundred yards from the Baseball Ground in Harrington Street. We had visited them on the evening of that match and on the way home my dad drove past the ground and the experience was magical - the noise from the crowd, the glow of the floodlights spilling over onto the terraced houses around the ground.

I was already keen, but got fully hooked that night!

Another match 1993, FA cup quarter final at home v Sheff Weds. Weds were Premier, us in the league below. Finished 3-3 taking on and trading blows with a team above, at a full Baseball Ground. It was what turned Derby from just a team I supported into nigh on a drug I needed my next fix of as soon as possible.

The story of the early 90's were either Play off campaigns or cup runs. I feel this match is a decent example of the best of us at that time.

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

My grandparents lived a few hundred yards from the Baseball Ground in Harrington Street. We had visited them on the evening of that match and on the way home my dad drove past the ground and the experience was magical - the noise from the crowd, the glow of the floodlights spilling over onto the terraced houses around the ground.

I was already keen, but got fully hooked that night!

Here you go Dave...magical nights 👍

image.thumb.png.94ee35d4f3f07e9fffad615ffc29f43f.png

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

🐏 Quite a night, never known an atmosphere like it, in the first half particularly. The best of night matches at the BBG I reckon. #COYR

I agree…..I’d seen us win the League, Watney, Texaco and Central League but I was never prouder of the Lads than I was that night.

Apparently when we were 3-0 up at half-time Cloughie decided to concentrate on not letting them score. Hence the goalless second leg!