Derby Greatest/Classic Matches

JakeDCFC

Since I'm a new fan I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some suggestions of some of Derby's greatest matches or classic matches that you think is worth a watch. Have a lot of free time coming up this next week and was thinking of spending a lot of it doing this, but i do not really know when to start. Figure it'll also help me get more acquainted with the club's history alongside the vast googling I have been doing of course haha. 

3 minutes ago, JakeDCFC said:

Since I'm a new fan I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some suggestions of some of Derby's greatest matches or classic matches that you think is worth a watch. Have a lot of free time coming up this next week and was thinking of spending a lot of it doing this, but i do not really know when to start. Figure it'll also help me get more acquainted with the club's history alongside the vast googling I have been doing of course haha. 

Youtube is where it's all at.

Derby Vs forest...look for the history of games then put it into the search bar...70s 80s 90s and more.

Classic games...

forest 1 Derby 2...we only had 10 men

Derby 4 forest 2...the coffee cup game

Derby 4 forest 1...forest were riding high in the old division 1

Derby 5 forest 0...a whooping

Forest 2 Derby 3...after being 2-0 down

Forest 0 Derby 3...just another day 😁

Derby 4 Real Madrid 1

Big wins against Liverpool, Arsenal 4 and 5 nil

FA Cup replay Spurs 3 Derby 5. Then there's League games against Spurs too where we scored a 5, a 6 and an 8.

Watney Cup Final against ManU, we won 4-1.

FA Charity Shield v West Ham at Wembley in 1975. 2-0 goals by Roy Mac and Zak

One classic where, although highlights were shown on BBC, I don't think there's footage online anywhere, is Derby 0 Leeds 0, early 70s midweek game under the lights at the BBG. No goals but what an absolute cracker of a game. Both keepers were excellent on the day and it could easily have been 8-8. My Dad didn't want to watch the highlights as 0-0 is always a crap, boring game. I persuade him to watch and he was glad he did.

6 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

One classic where, although highlights were shown on BBC, I don't think there's footage online anywhere, is Derby 0 Leeds 0, early 70s midweek game under the lights at the BBG. 

Not forgetting the Franny Lee Norman Hunter match where we won 3-2.

And Leeds 2 Derby 4 

Edited by The Last Post

Home game against Palace to secure promotion to the Prem in 1996, Man Utd 2, Derby 3 1997 (the Wanchope game), Derby 3 Arsenal 0, first year at PP I think, there was a game at PP v Southampton where we won 4.0 from memory and I missed the goals as I had to leave early to go on holiday. In those early PP years under Jim we could beat anyone

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

Youtube is where it's all at.

Derby Vs forest...look for the history of games then put it into the search bar...70s 80s 90s and more.

Classic games...

forest 1 Derby 2...we only had 10 men

Derby 4 forest 2...the coffee cup game

Derby 4 forest 1...forest were riding high in the old division 1

Derby 5 forest 0...a whooping

Forest 2 Derby 3...after being 2-0 down

Forest 0 Derby 3...just another day 😁

I have indeed seen the 5-0 against Forest, but just the highlights, will definitely have to find the full game, seems very enjoyable lol. Thanks for the rest of the suggestions though 😁 classic east midlands derby wins seem like a great place to start 

38 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Derby 4 Real Madrid 1

Big wins against Liverpool, Arsenal 4 and 5 nil

FA Cup replay Spurs 3 Derby 5. Then there's League games against Spurs too where we scored a 5, a 6 and an 8.

Watney Cup Final against ManU, we won 4-1.

FA Charity Shield v West Ham at Wembley in 1975. 2-0 goals by Roy Mac and Zak

One classic where, although highlights were shown on BBC, I don't think there's footage online anywhere, is Derby 0 Leeds 0, early 70s midweek game under the lights at the BBG. No goals but what an absolute cracker of a game. Both keepers were excellent on the day and it could easily have been 8-8. My Dad didn't want to watch the highlights as 0-0 is always a crap, boring game. I persuade him to watch and he was glad he did.

Thank you for the suggestions, the wins against Arsenal sound like fun watches. I will try to find any type of video on the 0-0 against Leeds though sounds intriguing the way u described it 

26 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Home game against Palace to secure promotion to the Prem in 1996, Man Utd 2, Derby 3 1997 (the Wanchope game), Derby 3 Arsenal 0, first year at PP I think, there was a game at PP v Southampton where we won 4.0 from memory and I missed the goals as I had to leave early to go on holiday. In those early PP years under Jim we could beat anyone

Definitely need to find a full match replay of the Palace game as I have been wanting to watch it for a little bit now. Thank u for the other suggestions though, I have all the time in the world next week and a house to myself so this'll be a great way to pass the time haha

If you’re a new fan then Leeds 2-4 Derby would be a perfect start. Being able to see a lot of the players still being current, plus some big names in there on both sides will be good. Read about the context of the season, Bielsa’s presentation and Lampard, spygate etc. That game was the definition of not being able to write a more perfect script. We didn’t follow it up with a win in the final, but that’s as good as it gets in our very recent history.

16 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

1968 Derby  v Chelsea league cup replay. Went a goal down then scored three in the second half to win. 30 odd thousand in the BBG sounded more like. 90 thousand. Never heard Rams fans louder, before or since. This was the start of the glory years.

Here's to hoping we can recreate times like that in the near future. Thank you for the suggestion as well!

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If you’re a new fan then Leeds 2-4 Derby would be a perfect start. Being able to see a lot of the players still being current, plus some big names in there on both sides will be good. Read about the context of the season, Bielsa’s presentation and Lampard, spygate etc. That game was the definition of not being able to write a more perfect script. We didn’t follow it up with a win in the final, but that’s as good as it gets in our very recent history.

That's from the 18-19 season right? Will definitely check it out, going to have to make a list haha, thank you!

1 minute ago, JakeDCFC said:

That's from the 18-19 season right? Will definitely check it out, going to have to make a list haha, thank you!

Yeah the 18/19 play-offs. I don’t know how old you are but I thought as new fan, watching games in the modern day might help you feel more connected.

As good and successful as the 1970s were, it was 50 years ago. I wasn’t born then, I know the names of the players and the big games but I don’t really associate with that them, football was a completely different game then.

They show re-runs of The Big Match on ITV4 in the UK a lot, you might be able to watch some with a VPN if you want to get an overview of what English football used to be like.

Another good one to find would be Derby 4-1 Brighton from 2013/14 and just fall in love with George Thorne for the very first time.

97-98 season very enjoyable, as the first season at Pride Park. Man U very lucky to get a 2-2 draw, beat eventual champions Arsenal 3-0, Southampton 4-0 (it was 0-0 after 76 minutes iirc), catch some home highlights from that year (avoid Leeds and Leicester though), I think we were the last league team in England to lose at home that season? May be wrong though.

I'd imagine quite a few Derby fans between the age of 35 and 50 will look back on that season as right up there amongst the best they've had.