Will the business plan still hold us back

Curtains

Just now, Curtains said:

Curtis in Telegraph seems to be saying it will be better in 2024/2025 than the coming season  !

It was always a 2 year plan. It’s just been loosened because we were good boys and girls last season - and by that I mean we didn’t go up, thereby receiving our lesson from the almighty EFL!

5 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

It was always a 2 year plan. It’s just been loosened because we were good boys and girls last season - and by that I mean we didn’t go up, thereby receiving our lesson from the almighty EFL!

I think we are still unable to spend much on players this season according to Curtis 

You don’t need to spend much to get out of League one. Hopefully we’re over trying to buy the league. 
We can still pay good salaries in comparison to most teams in this division and no doubt when the restrictions of the business plan are over, ie after this coming season we will have more wriggle room.

Personally I think it’s been a good thing. We needed to consolidate and it’s meant we’ve had to operate within our means. 

The impression I've got is that we can't really spend much more than last season, but we've got more choice over how we spend it.  So we can choose whether to put money into wages or transfer fees, and whether we give one player a high wage or lots of players smaller ones.  I'm not really expecting us to spend much on transfers, other than reinvesting (some proportion of) anything we get from selling players.

8 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

You don’t need to spend much to get out of League one. Hopefully we’re over trying to buy the league. 
We can still pay good salaries in comparison to most teams in this division and no doubt when the restrictions of the business plan are over, ie after this coming season we will have more wriggle room.

Personally I think it’s been a good thing. We needed to consolidate and it’s meant we’ve had to operate within our means. 

you are right you dont need to spend but you do need a flexible budget. if there is restrictions that prevent us from giving/offer X , players will go elsewhere

32 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I think we are still unable to spend much on players this season according to Curtis 

Not being able to spend much is an improvement on not being able to spend anything in my view. 
How we spend the budget we’ve got is key, if the revised plan allows us to spend some on fees as well as wages then things have improved.
Last season allegedly we had a weekly wage cap of £12k, so we could sign someone on a free whose yearly salary would be £624k, but we weren’t allowed to sign a promising younger player for £300k and pay them £6k a week, same budgetary outlay but the restrictions dictated how we spent it, we in theory have more flexibility now. 

Seems sensible to me to relate overall spend to turnover, which will have a natural ceiling and presumably cant go much higher than last season.

Injections from owners have always been self regulating (ie limited by how much the owner wants to risk). The EFL should limit the debt:equity ratio if they don't do already.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

No, the business plan won't hold us back as we will still have the highest budget in the league. We can't go out and spend an absolute fortune, of course, but I doubt there will be much change in how we do business between this year and next. 

Thanks 

Curtis quote

LC: Hi Tibby, the only condition attached to Derby from the EFL is that they follow the business plan which Derby devised themselves. That will be continually monitored by the Football League and then once this season has passed, then it becomes a bit more easier. However, Derby are free to pay 'moderate' transfer fees. It's just about being sensible which Derby will be. 

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Thanks 

Curtis quote

LC: Hi Tibby, the only condition attached to Derby from the EFL is that they follow the business plan which Derby devised themselves. That will be continually monitored by the Football League and then once this season has passed, then it becomes a bit more easier. However, Derby are free to pay 'moderate' transfer fees. It's just about being sensible which Derby will be. 

The league in its entirety spent roughly £4.5m last season on outgoing fees - Ipswich amount to more than half of that.  I think 15 clubs didn't spend a penny. All but three broke even or made a profit - Ipswich, Forest Green and Lincoln are only ones with a minus net spend. Ipswich the only one really who spent any money.

Edited by Ambitious

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Not sure I said we could? We will have a little more leeway than last year, and if we continue to show we are operating within our means next season I’d expect things to be more normal in 24/25. 

4 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Not sure I said we could? We will have a little more leeway than last year, and if we continue to show we are operating within our means next season I’d expect things to be more normal in 24/25. 

And the season after that we’ll be in the Premier League and then we can spend spend spend yoo hoo …. Sorry 🥺

3 hours ago, Curtains said:

Curtis in Telegraph seems to be saying it will be better in 2024/2025 than the coming season  !

The boring but factual reply to your question would be....nobody on here knows.

There is a business plan in place, a plan which the details have not and will not be made public, so how could we know?

Even with those details, it really depends on where that puts us in Warne's mind, he might feel like it's the best budget he's ever had, or feels like it's going to be a struggle.

So yeah, it's a discussion killer of an answer, but nobody knows.

8 minutes ago, David said:

There is a business plan in place, a plan which the details have not and will not be made public, so how could we know?

Even with those details, it really depends on where that puts us in Warne's mind, he might feel like it's the best budget he's ever had, or feels like it's going to be a struggle.

God knows 😉

Yep Yes GIF by BrabantinBeelden

17 minutes ago, David said:

What we do know is that we can now pay out moderate transfer fees, putting us on an equal or better footing than everyone else in this division, unless there is a 'Wrexham' owner out there willing to give large sums to their club. We are still operating to a business plan, but with our gates being around 50% higher than the next club, I would think that no-one else will be exceeding our expenditure next season, unlike last season with Ipswich and Sheff Wed.

Obviously, 24/25 will be better because all restrictions will be lifted and hopefully we will have been promoted to the Championship with an extra £6m in tv based income.

PW should feel that he's in a good place, a lot of work is required, but with such a small retained squad and some of those wanted by other clubs, he has the perfect opportunity to bring in his type of players and not be saddled with other managers' players on long expensive contracts, unlike those who have preceded him. Not many managers get such an opportunity.

1 hour ago, David said:

I agree none of us really know.  Leigh Curtis is more in the know than most though.

I think it’s another holding season myself with us losing some players and hopefully bringing a few in. 
Time will tell

What we do in the market this summer will be a pretty good guide to how tight the finances are and subsequently January. The businass plan was created by us not the EFL so Warne and all the other staff know what is coming to pay their wages.

We finished 7th with a rushed squad put together of frees and loans with no pre season. 
Even if there are minor restrictions surly absolute minimum is playoffs and if that was not to be achieved that it would be deemed unacceptable? 
Top 2 has to be the aim still