Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How much would Knighty be worth next season if we get promoted this season. If he's happy to stay here then what would we lose?

Contracts due to end 2024: Knight, Bielek, Bird, Sibley, Cashin, Barkhuisen, Mendez-Laing, Thompson, Hourihane, Smith, Wildsmith, Collins, Odurah, Rooney and Forsyth. That's 15 of the present squad.

3 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Contracts due to end 2024: Knight, Bielek, Bird, Sibley, Cashin, Barkhuisen, Mendez-Laing, Thompson, Hourihane, Smith, Wildsmith, Collins, Odurah, Rooney and Forsyth. That's 15 of the present squad.

And? 😕

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yep, at no point has Knight said he wants to leave, that I can find in the public domain anyway. His international boss has suggested it, there are clubs interested, and as is the case with almost all footballers he probably wants to play at the highest level….but he’s never said he’s going or wants to.

it was a radio derby interview about 20 jan this year. Don't know if you can still get it but the messages Knight gave were relayed by the likes of @lincolnramand @caymanram in David’s thread “jason knight - option to extend 

Of course he didn't say he was going, of course he didn’t say he wanted to leave. But the nuanced message he gave was that he needed to be playing championship football next season. Surprised anyone is surprised by this  

Against that, and given Warne’s endless messages about mentality in the dressing room, I think the club will agree to a sale even if they can’t get closer to the 2.5 they are looking for. 

Edited by kevinhectoring

8 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

it was a radio derby interview about 20 jan this year. Don't know if you can still get it but the messages Knight gave were relayed by the likes of @lincolnramand @caymanram in David’s thread “jason knight - option to extend 

Of course he didn't say he was going, of course he didn’t say he wanted to leave. But the nuanced message he gave was that he needed to be playing championship football next season. Surprised anyone is surprised by this  

Against that, and given Warne’s endless messages about mentality in the dressing room, I think the club will agree to a sale even if they can’t get closer to the 2.5 they are looking for. 

The quotes I provided are from that very interview. You can listen to it via this link;

Nowhere has Jason Knight “gone public” with a line saying the club has agreed to release him, which is what you said. 

“12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said;

(btw I’d guess we agreed with him in Jan that we’d release him if we didn't go up. He went public with that line anyway …)”

I’m not surprised by the idea that Knight would want to play at the highest level, but he didn’t say anything along the lines of what you are claiming in that particular interview. That’s my point. We shouldn’t attribute things to players as direct quotes when they have said nothing of the sort. He didn’t hint at wanting to leave, he didn’t say we’d let him go, there was no nuance. He said he likes it at Derby, he’s enjoying his football and contract stuff sorts itself out. That’s it.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added quote

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s the bit I’m wondering. In a midfield 3 with Bird and Hourihane? Bird as the defensive midfielder with Hourihane and Knight as the creativity and legs. Meaning Sibley and Smith have to accept a bench/rotation role.

As rwb meaning Ward is back up? As one of the two 10’s alongside one of Sibley or NML behind a central striker? 

Do you think we will still have hourahan or Bird by the end of the transfer window? 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Do you think we will still have hourahan or Bird by the end of the transfer window? 

At this point I think it’s more likely we have both of them than Knight. There’s quite a lot of noise building around Knight, so I think it’ll reach a point where either the club convince him to stay and help with one final promotion push OR (more likely) as more teams firm up their interest with bids we will see him move on.  
Any of the players could be sold with enough interest and the right money, as it stands, Knight is the one allegedly attracting the interest. 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

At this point I think it’s more likely we have both of them than Knight. There’s quite a lot of noise building around Knight, so I think it’ll reach a point where either the club convince him to stay and help with one final promotion push OR (more likely) as more teams firm up their interest with bids we will see him move on.  
Any of the players could be sold with enough interest and the right money, as it stands, Knight is the one allegedly attracting the interest. 

Knight should be taking all the interest - young experienced international who has played in multiple positions and very experienced in championship football and the figures being banded about are very low for his pedigree. Will Warne want to keep both Bird and Hourahan? Especially after last season where our midfield disappeared so often last season when they were paired together 

Just now, Sparkle said:

Knight should be taking all the interest - young experienced international who has played in multiple positions and very experienced in championship football and the figures being banded about are very low for his pedigree. Will Warne want to keep both Bird and Hourahan? Especially after last season where our midfield disappeared so often last season when they were paired together 

They played together in our midfield during the unbeaten run, it was Bird’s absence from the team to injury that derailed things initially wasn’t it? Then we couldn’t recover due to chopping and changing the side. Bird is a good player, Hourihane brings experience along with goals and assists, I’m just some idiot spending time on a forum when I should be working so no expert of course but I wouldn’t say Warne would actively look to move them on. Most of his focus when discussing targets has been at the back and in attack, very little mention of changes in midfield. 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

They played together in our midfield during the unbeaten run, it was Bird’s absence from the team to injury that derailed things initially wasn’t it? Then we couldn’t recover due to chopping and changing the side. Bird is a good player, Hourihane brings experience along with goals and assists, I’m just some idiot spending time on a forum when I should be working so no expert of course but I wouldn’t say Warne would actively look to move them on. Most of his focus when discussing targets has been at the back and in attack, very little mention of changes in midfield. 

I don’t disagree but we didn’t look right in central midfield last season but time will tell and all that 

56 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The quotes I provided are from that very interview. You can listen to it via this link;

Nowhere has Jason Knight “gone public” with a line saying the club has agreed to release him, which is what you said. 

“12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said;

(btw I’d guess we agreed with him in Jan that we’d release him if we didn't go up. He went public with that line anyway …)”

I’m not surprised by the idea that Knight would want to play at the highest level, but he didn’t say anything along the lines of what you are claiming in that particular interview. That’s my point. We shouldn’t attribute things to players as direct quotes when they have said nothing of the sort. He didn’t hint at wanting to leave, he didn’t say we’d let him go, there was no nuance. He said he likes it at Derby, he’s enjoying his football and contract stuff sorts itself out. That’s it.

was a carefully choreographed message.   There was a lot of noise about Knight leaving in the Jan transfer window. It was obviously understood at some point by both him and the club that he would not go at that stage he was wheeled out to do a ramsTV video and the radio derby interview was set up. Neither would have happened if there was a possibility he would leave in Jan. He didn't set up the RD interview by himself and I think the messages put out would have been discussed and agreed with the club. The tape may have been vetted by the club before broadcast for all we know. (No surprise it was not a live interview.) So I’d guess (that was the word I used) that Knight had an understanding in Jan that if we weren't promoted then he would be released. As I think he will be.

Oh and it seems ludicrous to suggest (as some others have) that the club should force him to play through his extension, when it’s clearly against his interests to do so

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

was a carefully choreographed message.   There was a lot of noise about Knight leaving in the Jan transfer window. It was obviously understood at some point by both him and the club that he would not go at that stage he was wheeled out to do a ramsTV video and the radio derby interview was set up. Neither would have happened if there was a possibility he would leave in Jan. He didn't set up the RD interview by himself and I think the messages put out would have been discussed and agreed with the club. The tape may have been vetted by the club before broadcast for all we know. (No surprise it was not a live interview.) So I’d guess (that was the word I used) that Knight had an understanding in Jan that if we weren't promoted then he would be released. As I think he will be.

Oh and it seems ludicrous to suggest (as some others have) that the club should force him to play through his extension, when it’s clearly against his interests to do so

You guessed at one bit, then said “he went public with that line anyway”…..which he didn’t do.

You can spin out any scenario you want, the facts are he gave an interview and said nothing about wanting to leave or being released if we fail to be promoted.

The club triggered his extension and he may well be SOLD (not released) this summer. It’s very possible there was a gentleman’s agreement, I’m not disputing that, just correcting the record on what was and was not actually said by Knight as I feel it’s inappropriate to attribute comments to someone that they did not say.

13 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You guessed at one bit, then said “he went public with that line anyway”…..which he didn’t do.

You can spin out any scenario you want, the facts are he gave an interview and said nothing about wanting to leave or being released if we fail to be promoted.

The club triggered his extension and he may well be SOLD (not released) this summer. It’s very possible there was a gentleman’s agreement, I’m not disputing that, just correcting the record on what was and was not actually said by Knight as I feel it’s inappropriate to attribute comments to someone that they did not say.

sorry when I said released I meant released from the contract extension - probably the wrong terminology

I think you're lost in semantics. I believe the club signed off on a statement in which he says he'll need to play championship football and that justifies everything I said. 

12 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

sorry when I said released I meant released from the contract extension - probably the wrong terminology

I think you're lost in semantics. I believe the club signed off on a statement in which he says he'll need to play championship football and that justifies everything I said. 

I’m not lost in anything. You misquoted the player.
Just because you believe something happened doesn’t mean you can misquote the player?! 
You said, and I quote;

“(btw I’d guess we agreed with him in Jan that we’d release him if we didn't go up. He went public with that line anyway …)”

Which is wrong. Jason Knight did not go public with the line that we would release him if we didn’t go up. 

I’m not disputing your belief or suspicion that there’s some sort of agreement between the club and Knight that we would sell him this summer, there could well be, and I’ve said a few times on different posts that I think it’s potentially in the club’s best interest financially to drive the price up and cash in on Knight if we can’t convince him to stay.

I agree with you that making him stay for the additional year IF he wants to go would be the wrong thing to do…it’s just not something that is evidenced anywhere in what Knight or the club has said publicly, either in January or in his post match interview last night.
So by all means believe that’s what was discussed, you may well be correct, but don’t say the player said something they didn’t….that’s all. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

30 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m not lost in anything. You misquoted the player.
Just because you believe something happened doesn’t mean you can misquote the player?! 
You said, and I quote;

“(btw I’d guess we agreed with him in Jan that we’d release him if we didn't go up. He went public with that line anyway …)”

Which is wrong. Jason Knight did not go public with the line that we would release him if we didn’t go up. 

I’m not disputing your belief or suspicion that there’s some sort of agreement between the club and Knight that we would sell him this summer, there could well be, and I’ve said a few times on different posts that I think it’s potentially in the club’s best interest financially to drive the price up and cash in on Knight if we can’t convince him to stay.

I agree with you that making him stay for the additional year IF he wants to go would be the wrong thing to do…it’s just not something that is evidenced anywhere in what Knight or the club has said publicly, either in January or in his post match interview last night.
So by all means believe that’s what was discussed, you may well be correct, but don’t say the player said something they didn’t….that’s all. 

Your patience is admirable 🤣

9 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

West ham are interested in jasion knight unless I got wrong end of the stick.

There’s a tweet saying that West Ham have asked Bristol City about their midfielder Alex Scott that also mentions Bristol have had two bids rejected for Knight. Is that what you’ve seen? 
If so it’s a poorly written headline about two separate players. It means West Ham want to sign Alex Scott from Bristol, and Bristol want to sign Jason Knight from us, maybe using the money they get if they sell Scott.

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There’s a tweet saying that West Ham have asked Bristol City about their midfielder Alex Scott that also mentions Bristol have had two bids rejected for Knight. Is that what you’ve seen? 
If so it’s a poorly written headline about two separate players. It means West Ham want to sign Alex Scott from Bristol, and Bristol want to sign Jason Knight from us, maybe using the money they get if they sell Scott.

Or right that one I saw yes